The Good Ol' Grateful Thread

I am not sure there has ever been more depraved behavior by students than when the Grateful Dead rolled into a sleepy midwestern college town on a Wednesday night in the late 70s

Hi everyone!

I’m very new to the Grateful Dead, having purchased my first album (Warfield) on Record Store Day this year.

Got a couple pages into this thread and decided to start going down the rabbit hole. Thrilled that I did. This was always pretty inevitable really. I like the culture, my setup begs for live albums, and as a plus for a guy who tends to have a bit of an addictive personality, there are near endless options in their live catalog.

I might get lost in here. Someone check on me every once in a while.

Back to reading the thread. Thanks in advance for the entertainment.
CD2CC402-B797-41E1-9F7D-163585441E04.jpeg

Hi everyone!

I’m very new to the Grateful Dead, having purchased my first album (Warfield) on Record Store Day this year.

Got a couple pages into this thread and decided to start going down the rabbit hole. Thrilled that I did. This was always pretty inevitable really. I like the culture, my setup begs for live albums, and as a plus for a guy who tends to have a bit of an addictive personality, there are near endless options in their live catalog.

View attachment 14920
Welcome! These guys are a great resource.

Hi everyone!

View attachment 14920
I recommend checking out the From The Vault series. One From The Vault is a great show from ‘75. Two From The Vault is a personal favorite of mine (One From The Vault is too but thats more universal amongst Dead fans. It’s objectively a phenomenal show. Lots from Blues For Allah, which checks out if you haven’t.). But Two is a show from ‘68 and it’s pretty amazing as well. Sort of their more psychedelic period. Also has Pigpen, he’s the man.

I recommend checking out the From The Vault series. One From The Vault is a great show from ‘75. Two From The Vault is a personal favorite of mine (One From The Vault is too but thats more universal amongst Dead fans. It’s objectively a phenomenal show. Lots from Blues For Allah, which checks out if you haven’t.). But Two is a show from ‘68 and it’s pretty amazing as well. Sort of their more psychedelic period. Also has Pigpen, he’s the man.

Thanks! I’ll check these out!!

Agreed. One From the Vault is pretty essential.

I've been pretty into Dick's Picks 11: 9/2/72 this week. Show opens with one of those Morning Dews that alters your spirit...
Those late ‘72 dick’s picks too often (but understandably) get overlooked for the Europe '72 material and the Veneta, OR concert. They are really good. 36 might be my favorite DP overall.

I've also been having a real moment this summer with 89 and 90. Love how so much of those shows was sloppy and you can hear the coke everywhere but then Brent will start up a We Can Run or Blow Away and Jerry starts playing like it's the most important thing he's ever heard. So wild...

That's the one with the 35 minuteish Dark Star, right? Love that one.
Oh yeah and it goes into a good Morning Dew too.

I've also been having a real moment this summer with 89 and 90. Love how so much of those shows was sloppy and you can hear the coke everywhere but then Brent will start up a We Can Run or Blow Away and Jerry starts playing like it's the most important thing he's ever heard. So wild...
I am not well versed in late 80s/early 90s material. Any particular recommendations?

The Wake Up to Find Out Nassau 90 box set is a good intro. Branford Marsalis sits in for the whole second set (and I think Bird Song in the first). The Dark Star is of another galaxy.

I also really like the 9/16/90 Dick's from MSG. It's right after Brent died, so it's Vince and Hornsby. Super emotional Standing On the Moon.

I find a lot of 89 a shit show because a lot of it sounds like a bar band but I really like the Philly show they put out fairly recently that was one of the recent Meet Up at the Movies.

Oh yeah and it goes into a good Morning Dew too.

I am not well versed in late 80s/early 90s material. Any particular recommendations?
Can't go wrong with spring 90, many consider this the best tour of the Brent era. I love 3/29/90 with Branford coming out, very popular and well known show, but that whole tour is pretty fantastic

Finished listening to this one this morning. A+. Loved it. Crazy Fingers/Drums is great.

My 14 yr old son came into the music room last night while I was listening to it and sat down. After a couple minutes I asked him if he liked it. “Ya, and it sounds incredible in here Dad”.

Be still my heart. He’s in the will.

Back