The Good Ol' Grateful Thread

Based on the merch announcement from Sacred Bones today, I would be willing to bet a reissue of Jerry Garcia’s Garcia a s probably going to be announced soon. They have preorder up for a Garcia themed tie-dye shirt but they have absolutely no other Jerry Garcia items currently for sale, looking over the recent Reissues on Discogs, it seems like the album is due for a reissue. It could just be a random album themed T-Shirt for sale but my guess is that there will be a pre-order announcement forthcoming... keep your eyes peeled.
That would be awesome. One of the only Dead-related studio records I listen to regularly.

Based on the merch announcement from Sacred Bones today, I would be willing to bet a reissue of Jerry Garcia’s Garcia a s probably going to be announced soon. They have preorder up for a Garcia themed tie-dye shirt but they have absolutely no other Jerry Garcia items currently for sale, looking over the recent Reissues on Discogs, it seems like the album is due for a reissue. It could just be a random album themed T-Shirt for sale but my guess is that there will be a pre-order announcement forthcoming... keep your eyes peeled.
Grateful Bones Tie-Dyed T-Shirt
also these guys:

Has six songs that are among the best tunes the GD ever played live. If this was released as a Dead studio album it would be one of their best, for sure
The thought experiment is to combine the best songs of Garcia with the best of Bob Weir's Ace, which for my money may be the studio album that catches the band's sound on tape the best, and you not only have the best GD studio album but one that likely would have placed them among the best studio bands of the era.

The thought experiment is to combine the best songs of Garcia with the best of Bob Weir's Ace, which for my money may be the studio album that catches the band's sound on tape the best, and you not only have the best GD studio album but one that likely would have placed them among the best studio bands of the era.
To add one more album (while obviously a couple levels below those) Mickey Harts Rolling Thunder came out in 1972 also so you could grab a few tracks off there as well.

Damn, I hope so. have been hoping for a reissue, no reason for it to stay OOP too long.

Hell, maybe its even Junes VMP “classic rock“ essential (depending on your definition of classic rock)

Yeah, none of my dead collection is on colored wax so I wouldn’t want S&R on colored wax either but as an actual investment the Dead.net exclusive is gonna be worth much more in the long run. Maybe I will just bite the the bullet and pick up the MoFi instead.

So, I just listened to Reckoning for the first time - I wasn't all that into it until they got to "Cassidy" and then, from that point on, like every single song was pretty incredible to me, and that "Ripple" at the end was a perfect finale. That might be my favorite song of theirs now.

Is there a way to listen to the Warfield sets (10/9/80 and 10/10/80) from the recent RSD release? I don't see them on spotify. It looks like there's a decent amount of overlap with Reckoning since they were recorded in the same month or so and also the songs included in the setlists [even though it looks like only one song "Jack-a-Roe" (10/10/80) is actually the same performance on both releases]. I really liked Rosalie McFall on Reckoning and it looks like that's not included on the Warfield release, but I think my favorite part of Reckoning was how it closed with "Bird Song" and "Ripple" (though from different dates - not the same set), and I'm really curious to hear how the Warfield sets sound since it looks like they ended with those two songs on both nights.

It looks like both of them will be expensive to track down on vinyl at this point, but I would welcome any advice if anyone has tips on tracking either of these down.

So, I just listened to Reckoning for the first time - I wasn't all that into it until they got to "Cassidy" and then, from that point on, like every single song was pretty incredible to me, and that "Ripple" at the end was a perfect finale. That might be my favorite song of theirs now.

Is there a way to listen to the Warfield sets (10/9/80 and 10/10/80) from the recent RSD release? I don't see them on spotify. It looks like there's a decent amount of overlap with Reckoning since they were recorded in the same month or so and also the songs included in the setlists [even though it looks like only one song "Jack-a-Roe" (10/10/80) is actually the same performance on both releases]. I really liked Rosalie McFall on Reckoning and it looks like that's not included on the Warfield release, but I think my favorite part of Reckoning was how it closed with "Bird Song" and "Ripple" (though from different dates - not the same set), and I'm really curious to hear how the Warfield sets sound since it looks like they ended with those two songs on both nights.

It looks like both of them will be expensive to track down on vinyl at this point, but I would welcome any advice if anyone has tips on tracking either of these down.
Both are available to stream on Etree in a variety of tapes. Just search the show dates.

the run of shows in 80 with the acoustic sets are great.

The internet archive/relisten app is your friend for checking out any Dead show you want.

If you want to get flacs and know how to torrent, either bt etree or lossless legs is where you need to go

Shameless plug

My brother's in a Grateful Dead cover band out of Columbus, OH. Their first gig with him in the band is this Saturday at Skully's (limited tickets available + streaming for free online). Somehow they managed to get Sam Cutler, former Grateful Dead manager who had a decently sized role in the Long Strange Trip doc, to record a little blurb for them. Pretty neat!

Shameless plug

My brother's in a Grateful Dead cover band out of Columbus, OH. Their first gig with him in the band is this Saturday at Skully's (limited tickets available + streaming for free online). Somehow they managed to get Sam Cutler, former Grateful Dead manager who had a decently sized role in the Long Strange Trip doc, to record a little blurb for them. Pretty neat!

That's awesome! Sam Cutler doesn't seem to speak kindly of anyone, so this is pretty cool

Back