The Good Ol' Grateful Thread

Anyone wondering what this year’s box set is going to be? I’m hoping that it is announced soon but I wonder if the rsd releases are going to get in the way and they’re not doing one?

I’ve been addicted to their box sets, some of them are simply amazing sets
Rumors are that it is going to be what they have of the 80s Warfield runs. I've also heard that there may be a box of the remaining unreleased Winterland shows from March 77.

So after almost an entire year I have finally completed my mission of listening to every GD concert on Spotify in chronological order. This stemmed from a list of shows yall listed as favorites with the VMP box set came out. I hadnt listened to hardly any Dead prior to that and just decided to go whole hog. I have many thoughts on the matter, but I can summarize it best by saying that these guys have something for everyone, over the course of 35 years there will be a sound you dig, guaranteed. The lucky ones dig it all. I fall squarely in the latter category and now i am all in haha. Thanks for the initial push.

So after almost an entire year I have finally completed my mission of listening to every GD concert on Spotify in chronological order. This stemmed from a list of shows yall listed as favorites with the VMP box set came out. I hadnt listened to hardly any Dead prior to that and just decided to go whole hog. I have many thoughts on the matter, but I can summarize it best by saying that these guys have something for everyone, over the course of 35 years there will be a sound you dig, guaranteed. The lucky ones dig it all. I fall squarely in the latter category and now i am all in haha. Thanks for the initial push.
Wow. Impressive. But you're not getting off that easy. What was your favorite show?

Wow. Impressive. But you're not getting off that easy. What was your favorite show?
I think we all know that is a more complicated question than it seems haha, but I would say One From The Vault because it is basically flawless, best Help>Slip>FT for my money, except I just cant get into what they were doing in Blues for Allah. It may be hack to say Cornell but it is Cornell so its up there. Also Hartford 10/14/83 because I can listen to that Scarlet>Fire, Estimated>Eyes run on repeat for hours. That 69 Fillmore run is pretty great too. Someone posted way back then that Live/Dead was not the best place to start since it begins with a 23 minute Dark Star but ironically enough that was the first one I ever listened too and that was the exact song that drew me in.

these days, after a very heavy mid-80's focus (post Go to Heaven, pre In the Dark), I've been doing some light palette cleansing in winter 78. Different drugginess, just as satisfying. and I love a Lazy Lightning>Supplication.
I keep going back to 74. That pacific northwest box and the complete GD movie soundtrack is where im at now. The recordings are just great and i have to assume its because the wall of sound. I also found some downloads backfill my Daves Picks subscription without spending a fortune on Ebay/Discogs.

I keep going back to 74. That pacific northwest box and the complete GD movie soundtrack is where im at now. The recordings are just great and i have to assume its because the wall of sound. I also found some downloads backfill my Daves Picks subscription without spending a fortune on Ebay/Discogs.
73/74 is definitely my favorite era of the 70s. the late Keith/Donna years where she would be sky high on cocaine and he would fall asleep on stage are kind of a snore to me. Love the energy Brent brought throughout, so 79-90 is my wheelhouse.

I’m excited by your endeavor AC!!!

I’ve been a crazy man over 1990 lately. Brent!!! The Shakedown Street from Hartford?! Oh my. Crazy.

I’m still sinking my teeth into Europe 72 and only a few shows in but 90 seems to be where I keep going back to.

73/74 is definitely my favorite era of the 70s. the late Keith/Donna years where she would be sky high on cocaine and he would fall asleep on stage are kind of a snore to me. Love the energy Brent brought throughout, so 79-90 is my wheelhouse.

I’m excited by your endeavor AC!!!

I’ve been a crazy man over 1990 lately. Brent!!! The Shakedown Street from Hartford?! Oh my. Crazy.

I’m still sinking my teeth into Europe 72 and only a few shows in but 90 seems to be where I keep going back to.
I will admit that Europe 72 was a bit of a slog. I think the Venetta show they did after they got back is the best from 72.

Brent is the best. I originally set up the spotify playlists by decade and I was getting towards the end of 79 which was exactly as sleepy as you described and then there was a show that came up and just BAM full of energy at the keys. It turned my ear and then I realized "Oh Brent is here" I had thought he came in in 1980. He was exactly the shot in the arm GD needed at that moment. The Spring 90 shows are fantastic. Pretty much anything from 89-90 is solid. My only complaint about the late 80s is that the Drums>Space sections got really self indulgent and started going on about twice as long as they should.

I could live in 1973 forever, particularly the run from 10/19/73 (Dick's Picks 19) to 12/19/73 (Dick's Picks 1). My favorite show of that period is 11/17/73 (Dave's Picks 5), which is up there with 2/13/70 and 9/3/77 as my favorite shows ever.
Oh man, I was this close to putting 9/3/77 on the list. That is such a great show!

Last edited:
So, I have this open wall space above my stereo in my living room, and I always wanted/thought it be cool if I could find a 14ftx 8th poster of the Wall of Sound setup. But I don't think it exists. I do need some wall art though.

Back