The Good Ol' Grateful Thread

Holy shit, was a set. I have the Europe 72 CD suitcase set and E72 v1 and v2 on vinyl, so kind of happy their release doesn’t have anything I need to get (though also sad there isn’t new music being released). Wonder if this is their big yearly release or if there will be a CD set of previously unreleased shows.

Yeah definitely in for this. It’s a new master too, with the Plangent process. I’ve loved everything I’ve heard with that.

It's Euro '72. I was just congratulating myself on how few preorders I've made in the last week or two....Grr

It's Euro '72. This was the 1st Dead LP I ever bought and I believe my OG copy was stolen from me a few years back so now I only have a repress.

It's Euro '72. Rationalizing complete. This one is special. Time to hit the gym. Can't let the muscles atrophy. Going to have some heavy lifting to do this summer. My have to skip the Dead RSD releases this year to ease my pain.

I can send you guys links to stream these shows. Just venmo me $550. Same price as the box, but no shipping. You're welcome.

I actually like Dead shows on vinyl. But, yes this one is really over the top. Glad they put it in individual slip cases. Will make it less imposing. Hope it is packed well and they have a few extra cust service reps on staff for the mth or so after these ship.

When I saw they pressed Dave’s Picks 1 on LP and it sold out quickly, I knew they were leaning hard into the vinyl world. I’m bummed because it seems like the CD sets are taking a back seat now. Love the effort they put into their CD set releases. They’re almost all decoration pieces too.
I agree with this. CD is preferable for these shows. I have a handful of vinyl sets, the FW 69 shows, a few Dick's Picks. I sold Cornell because it goes for crazy money and the CD sounds just as good, if not better. I have the Dave's Picks on preorder because it is one of the few CD gaps in my collection and I'm not paying $500 plus for a 3 cd set.

I just cannot fathom pulling out a 24 LP set more than once, and maybe not even once.

I agree with this. CD is preferable for these shows. I have a handful of vinyl sets, the FW 69 shows, a few Dick's Picks. I sold Cornell because it goes for crazy money and the CD sounds just as good, if not better. I have the Dave's Picks on preorder because it is one of the few CD gaps in my collection and I'm not paying $500 plus for a 3 cd set.

I just cannot fathom pulling out a 24 LP set more than once, and maybe not even once.
What I find even funnier about today’s drop is that they’re releasing yet another Europe 72 show in two weeks for RSD. How people have the time to listen to all of these shows on wax is beyond me.

What I find even funnier about today’s drop is that they’re releasing yet another Europe 72 show in two weeks for RSD. How people have the time to listen to all of these shows on wax is beyond me.
Most of my show listening is in the car or at work, neither place conducive to a turntable. I think it really is the collectible aspect and FOMO since these sets skyrocket in value.

I'm absolutely not the kind of Dead fan who would buy this or ever want to listen to it, but I'll be interested in the 50th anniversary remaster if it's a big improvement over my original.

Spring 85 box set? take all my money...

Most of my show listening is in the car or at work, neither place conducive to a turntable. I think it really is the collectible aspect and FOMO since these sets skyrocket in value.

Yes. Kind of the showcase of a lifetime Dead collection that is of course nowhere near complete. Lots of other great ones have come and gone. Several massive anniversary CD sets. I held out. The VMP vinyl box. Nada. This one just hits the sweet spot for me. My only worry is getting that monster safely delivered to the Music Room.

When I saw they pressed Dave’s Picks 1 on LP and it sold out quickly, I knew they were leaning hard into the vinyl world. I’m bummed because it seems like the CD sets are taking a back seat now. Love the effort they put into their CD set releases. They’re almost all decoration pieces too.

It seems like a weird market, right now. Look how that VMP set sold. I doubt everyone who grabbed it was buying it for Without A Net. So, you have some new demographic grabbing this stuff. I have a feeling a number of these big sets will be on a shelf displayed next to a pair of dancing bear NIKE SB dunks

Same. Glad they're releasing that 24-disc box so that, even after grabbing this, I can still feel inadequate like I'm missing out on the "special" version

It took a lot of self control not to pick up the 3LP color way. :). Maybe a blk one to compare sound quality when they come.

For sure, the main box may not be the go to version. This is a centerpiece item of a Dead collection.

Generally, I usually store the vinyl I play the most from big boxes next to the main box if alphabeticaly stored OR with reg box sets if big main box on top shelf display. Like Ozzie and Mars V.

Way easier to play that way than dealing with getting whole box out.

Last edited:
Looks like 2022 is the last year to catch Dead & Company

Understandable due to Billy's health issues, but I figured at this point they could do what they've been doing and keep replacing members, esp if they weren't flying under the "Grateful Dead" moniker. I imagine they've got a few more shows queued up as final shows though beyond the summer tour. That being said, I wasn't planning on hitting Dodger Stadium, but I might have to rethink that now.

Back