The Good Ol' Grateful Thread

Congratulations! Hope everything goes swimmingly.

Well, I think Cornell as a middle name would be perfect!

Welcome to the bus, Brent Cornell Djxfactor511, whenever you may arrive!

"Daddy why is my middle name cornell?"

"Well we were going to go with 'Wook', because we would affectionately say you're the lot wook of our hearts, but then 5.8.77 got re-released and we just went with it cos yer mom was like 'that's cooler'"

"Anyway, it's almost lunchtime, go get your sisters Lotlizzie and Wharfratte, tell them we're having grilled cheese for lunch"

Thanks for the laughs everyone! Brought some sunshine to a very stressful day! He may not have waited until the Cornell anniversary, but little Charlie will for sure be hearing it a lot in the coming years.

HMU with your favorite versions of Mr. Charlie!

Thanks for the laughs everyone! Brought some sunshine to a very stressful day! He may not have waited until the Cornell anniversary, but little Charlie will for sure be hearing it a lot in the coming years.

HMU with your favorite versions of Mr. Charlie!
You could have still used Boston as a middle name!

Also, you can reference Cosmic Charlie in addition to Mr. Charlie, that's the inspiration for my dogs name.

To answer your Mr. Charlie question, any of the versions played on the Europe 72 are the archetype for me

You could have still used Boston as a middle name!

Also, you can reference Cosmic Charlie in addition to Mr. Charlie, that's the inspiration for my dogs name.

To answer your Mr. Charlie question, any of the versions played on the Europe 72 are the archetype for me
Wife already had dibs on a middle name. 🤣

Oh oh! Yes! Cosmic Charlie too!

Saw Pearl Jam at the LA Forum on Saturday Night. Had to match up my PJ vans with some socks to reflect another band I saw there years ago. The Help On The Way --> Slipknot! --> Franklins Tower from that night still sticks with me as a top concert memory!

Edited to add: relistening to this show today. Blow Away around 4:45 reminds me of just how much energy Brent brought to the shows. So good.

1652120932370.png

Last edited:
35th Anniversary of the filming of the Touch of Grey video. Some pics from the day at the link. He's a good follow too.

Wasn't at that show, but did go to Laguna Seca the following year. Was a great place to see a show.

So I sold at a record show for the first time today. Made some money, met some cool people, and got some sweet deals before shoppers came in. Was talking with this one vendor before the show who saw my Phish mask and said he had a bunch of Dead stuff, mostly shows and sealed sets from the last few years.

Toward the end of the show I made another round to see if there was anything interesting left. As I walked past that vendor’s table I noticed he had a Cornell box in the middle of a Dead bin, still in the shrink. The first few sets placed before it were priced high for what they were - the most recent Fillmore releases for $120 or so. But the Cornell was only $200(!!) - sealed! Couldn’t believe it.

I’m not sure if he knew how much he could get but he told me he’s had it for quite some time. Honestly couldn’t believe it made it through the day at that price. I already have it but I was able to hook up a friend at what is really a steal of a price for that.

So I sold at a record show for the first time today. Made some money, met some cool people, and got some sweet deals before shoppers came in. Was talking with this one vendor before the show who saw my Phish mask and said he had a bunch of Dead stuff, mostly shows and sealed sets from the last few years.

Toward the end of the show I made another round to see if there was anything interesting left. As I walked past that vendor’s table I noticed he had a Cornell box in the middle of a Dead bin, still in the shrink. The first few sets placed before it were priced high for what they were - the most recent Fillmore releases for $120 or so. But the Cornell was only $200(!!) - sealed! Couldn’t believe it.

I’m not sure if he knew how much he could get but he told me he’s had it for quite some time. Honestly couldn’t believe it made it through the day at that price. I already have it but I was able to hook up a friend at what is really a steal of a price for that.
That really is a killer price for that set

Wow! I still need one and NEVER see them under $400.

Don't laugh Dead Heads, but where's good place to start with the Dead ? Recording quality also important. I have Smiling On A Cloudy Day.
☮️
Cornell 5.8.77
The Amazon prime documentary
Europe 72

Of the studio albums, "workingman's dead", "American beauty", "wake of the flood" and "from the Mars hotel". Runner up: "blues for Allah"

There are a few live show recommendations on the thread, but I think you can't go wrong with the "30 days of dead" compilations they put out for free download every November.

Don't laugh Dead Heads, but where's good place to start with the Dead ? Recording quality also important. I have Smiling On A Cloudy Day.
☮️
There are a few good comps out there, The Very Best of the Grateful Dead is a good one.

As @yukbon said, Europe 72 and Cornell are iconic live releases and the Prime doc is fantastic. Will also echo “Workingman’s” and “American Beauty” for studio albums. Both can be had new for ~$20 from the 50th anniversary a couple years ago and are fantastic pressings in nice sturdy jackets. Definitely worth owning if you’re going to own any studio Dead.

☮️
Here's my advice, chose one, some or all of the following:

- American Beauty and Workingman's Dead. The classic studio albums and sound great on vinyl. The recent releases are supposedly really nice, the MoFis are heavenly and worth the moola.

- Europe '72. The essence of the Dead is as a live band and, while overdubbed in places, Europe 72 is a classic and great gateway to the Dead live. I have the most recent pressing (before the anniversary editions) and it sounds great. The 3rd LP in particular captures a lot of what makes them special.

- Stream some of the classic live full shows. GD live vinyl goes in and out of print, and becomes ridiculous once it's out of print. And vinyl isn't the ideal format anyway. Fortunately everything is either free online (internet archive) or on streaming services. I could give you a large list, but for this purpose I'll give you the tried and true recommendations on streaming: Dick's Picks 4 (2/13 and 2/14 1970), Dick's Picks 8 (5/2/70), Sunshine Daydream (8/27/72), One From The Vault (8/23/75), and Cornell (5/8/77). All are official releases and will sound pretty good. Live Dead is a big rabbit hole and the most rewarding part of being into the Dead.

Last edited:
Cornell 5.8.77
The Amazon prime documentary
Europe 72

Of the studio albums, "workingman's dead", "American beauty", "wake of the flood" and "from the Mars hotel". Runner up: "blues for Allah"

There are a few live show recommendations on the thread, but I think you can't go wrong with the "30 days of dead" compilations they put out for free download every November.
Also not a dead head but I do know some of their music. @yukbon ‘s studio album recommendations are spot-on, though I’d put American Beauty in the top spot because I always have found it so accessible. Not sure they’ll prepare you for what Dead Heads seem to love most, which is (I think) the live jams.

Oh yeah very best is a great comp. All the high points.

And yeah all the rhino reissues of recent vintage are excellent. Like, I sold my MoFis excellent. (The 45 rpm MoFis are great though). Live dead on vinyl is a huge pain in the ass - expensive and lots of flipping (both of records and sides). I would make an exception for Europe 72, cornell and live/dead. My personal favorite is "one from the vault".

Last edited:
Here's my advice, chose one, some or all of the following:

- American Beauty and Workingman's Dead. Thr classic studio albums and sound great on vinyl. The recent releases are supposedly really nice, the MoFis are heavenly and worth the moola.

- Europe '72. The essence of the Dead is as a live band and, while overdubbed in places, Europe 72 is a classic and great gateway to the Dead live. I have the most recent pressing (before the anniversary editions) and it sounds great. The 3rd LP in particular captures a lot of what makes them special.

- Stream some of the classic live full shows. GD live vinyl goes in and out of print, and becomes ridiculous once it's out of print. And vinyl isn't the ideal format anyway. Fortunately everything is either free online (internet archive) or on streaming services. I could give you a large list, but for this purpose I'll give you the tried and true recommendations on streaming: Dick's Picks 4 (2/13 and 2/14 1970), Dick's Picks 8 (5/2/70), Sunshine Daydream (8/27/72), One From The Vault (8/23/75), and Cornell (5/8/77). All are official releases and will sound pretty good. Live Dead is a big rabbit hole and the most rewarding part of being into the Dead.
Pin this bad boy to the top of the thread for all to see!

Back