The Good Ol' Grateful Thread

I mean the 70s are the best. 73, 72, and 77 to me are the strongest years (love that coked up 78 sound also) and definitely where I spend most of my time. I don’t really listen to anything past 91, honestly. But the Wake Up to Find Out boxset rules. I got to meet Branford once and asked him about playing with the Dead and he spoke really highly of the experience. The first spring 90 boxset goes for stupid prices last I checked, but part 2 is also fantastic and can be had for a more reasonable price (I think).

Edit: never mind on the prices. Just checked eBay and the flippers are going nuts.
Both Spring 90 boxes (the CDs) are my two most expensive items in Discogs (and I could get more than the median for them easily). They're wonderful sets, just wish that they were more readily available

I’m with you all on the 90’s. I generally don’t actively seek out anything past Brent’s death. And I was always sort of ashamed to admit that as a self proclaimed Dead Head. So seeing you all with similar feelings feels a little relieving to say the least.

Also, 72-78 is amazing, but man ‘68-‘70 (and even most of ‘71) are pretty damn great. And if you all haven’t delved in deep, you should give it a shot.

1968 contains the Dead at their most primal psychedelic. Some shows will literally make your hairs stand on end with its lysergic electricity. I recommend the Valentine’s Day show in which they dedicated to Neal Cassidy who they had just found out had passed.

1970 is my favorite year and I couldn’t really tell you why. I love the acoustic/electric sets. I love the acid drenched country sound they were beginning to bring in. The jams are excellent and the year brought a whole new quiver of songs to pull from.
I recommend 6-24-70. It’s my favorite show of all time. But I might say that because most people don’t speak of it. There’s no soundboards for it unfortunately, Bear was in jail at the time for LSD production.

Also check out 9-19-70. That Dark Star is sublime.

Last edited:
I’m with you all on the 90’s. I generally don’t actively seek out anything past Brent’s death. And I was always sort of ashamed to admit that as a self proclaimed Dead Head. So seeing you all with similar feelings feels a little relieving to say the least.

Also, 72-78 is amazing, but man ‘68-‘70 (and even most of ‘71) are pretty damn great. And if you all haven’t delved in deep, you should give it a shot.

1968 contains the Dead at their most primal psychedelic. Some shows will literally make your hairs stand on end with its lysergic electricity. I recommend the Valentine’s Day show in which they dedicated to Neal Cassidy who they had just found out had passed.

1970 is my favorite year and I couldn’t really tell you why. I love the acoustic/electric sets. I love the acid drenched country sound they were beginning to bring in. The jams are excellent and the year brought a whole new quiver of songs to pull from.
I recommend 6-24-70. It’s my favorite show of all time. But I might say that because most people don’t speak of it. There’s no soundboards for it unfortunately, Bear was in jail at the time for LSD production.

Also check out 9-19-70. That Dark Star is sublime.

The Lovelight on 9-19-70 is also not to be missed. Probably the most humorous version, yet it still rips.

The That's It For The Other One on 2-14-68, dedicated to the memory of Neal Cassidy, is absolutely cosmic and transcendent, bending the time space continuum.

The only post-Brent I like are some of the era where Bruce was in the band. Mostly when it’s just Vince I find his sound jarring and most of those tours are pretty lackluster.
Yeah the tone/effects of Vince's keys sound super dated and cheesy at this point. I have that Saint of Circumstance box from 6/17/91 and Bruce really saves it.

Yeah the tone/effects of Vince's keys sound super dated and cheesy at this point. I have that Saint of Circumstance box from 6/17/91 and Bruce really saves it.
cheesy tones is why i find zappa's 80s and live work so hard to listen to. like, what he's playing is fucking blistering but the tone is pure charlie brown adult voices

I believe so. Nor a show with “Crazy Fingers.” And I still don’t think there’s been a show from the 90s yet.
That's correct. It should be noted that the overwhelming majority of Dave's Picks are from late 69 to Spring 78, so that's why there hasn't been a Shakedown yet, though it is a huge oversight of course.

A lot of the primo shows from 89-91 are multi-tracked, which means that they won't be in the Dave's Picks series.

Where do you fall? I’m heavy four trending five

Hahaha, probably a mix between the 2nd and 3rd levels. Jerry died when I was 4, so I'm not old enough for some of the others. Some I have NO idea what they're talking about so looking forward to some fun Googling later.

Back