The Good Ol' Grateful Thread

I've been listening to the entire Spring 71 tour to celebrate its 50th anniversary. I don't/can't listen to every show start to finish, but I try to at least listen to the highlights of each. For today's show (4/13/71), the beginning of Set 2 is worth checking out. Truckin>Drums>Good Lovin. Truckin was not being jammed out yet like it would in 72, but this one is hot and hints at its potential. And I love how they got the drum solo out of the way before GL, so that they just jump right into some great extended playing after the second chorus.

A new source of one of my favorite shows (7/13/84) dropped recently so I’m checking that out today. Sounds great so far. This is the “Dark Star” show where they played it for the first time in a few years and they pulled out a screen and showed Space pictures and a shooting star occurred right before it. Worth a listen for anyone who’s leery of dipping their toes in the “Jerry carries a suitcase of drugs everywhere “ era.

My daughter and I made a run to Charlotte for IKEA needs. Swang by Lunchbox and got myself an American Beauty 50th!!!
Lunchbox is a beautiful thing. The building they're in used to be a funeral home. Scott told me when they were cleaning it out to remodel there was all kinds of stuff left behind - tubes, needless, embalming fluid. Pretty ghastly.

And in more ghost related news, I recently crossed paths with Jerry's...

20210419_021548.jpg

Seeing this show (4/21/86) making the rounds today as it's the 35th anniversary of it - I wasn't aware of it previously. Apparently Brent didn't leave the stage during drums, and kicks into Maybe You Know. Reviews on Archive.org are not positive, but I'm going to give it a listen.

It’s amazing how much of a mess the band was in 86 and how huge they got in 87.
The break due to Jerry's coma was much needed for all. Listening to the December 86 shows indicate a whole different band when they returned. They're still a little up and down until 89, when they really hit that latter day groove that lasted until the end of 91.

The break due to Jerry's coma was much needed for all. Listening to the December 86 shows indicate a whole different band when they returned. They're still a little up and down until 89, when they really hit that latter day groove that lasted until the end of 91.
Amen. Summer 90 has some of my all time favorite moments.

I've really been digging into early 80's and 89-90 live dead while cutting the grass this spring. It's been a really fun trip for someone like me who's been stuck in 77-79 and 68-72 for most of the last year.
What are some recommendations from the early 80s? Always love to see what others suggest from the era

What are some recommendations from the early 80s? Always love to see what others suggest from the era
I've basically just been going through what's on Spotify from the era. It's all been very enjoyable, but given that I'm cutting the grass it's hard to pinpoint highlights. :)

Ohhh, just got to the Drums --> Maybe You Know on the 4/21/86 show. Brent was definitely working through something there. Gotta say, I thought the My Brother Esau and the Desolation Row in the first set were pretty good. I haven't listened to a lot of 85-86 shows, so i'm looking forward to the 80's recommendations too.

Back