The Good Ol' Grateful Thread

51ish years this week since the infamous Fillmore East show. The bill was the Dead, the Allmans and Love. Early and late shows. The late show gets wild as the Dark Star>Spanish Jam >Lovelight features the Allmans and the 71 version of Fleetwood Mac. Google it to see how wild the stage looked.

51ish years this week since the infamous Fillmore East show. The bill was the Dead, the Allmans and Love. Early and late shows. The late show gets wild as the Dark Star>Spanish Jam >Lovelight features the Allmans and the 71 version of Fleetwood Mac. Google it to see how wild the stage looked.

In my humble opinion, 2/13/70 is the greatest Good ole Grateful Dead show of all time. The 90 minutes of Dark Star>That's It For The Other One>Turn On Your Lovelight is the mountain top (featured on Dick's Picks 4).

In my humble opinion, 2/13/70 is the greatest Good ole Grateful Dead show of all time. The 90 minutes of Dark Star>That's It For The Other One>Turn On Your Lovelight is the mountain top (featured on Dick's Picks 4).
I don’t care much for pre-72 shows but 2/13 and2/11 are really special

Absolutely.

I still think 1970 is my favorite year.
You get the psychedelia, Pigpen, the long jams, the country jams, the acoustic jams.
If soundboards or a better recording ever surfaced of 6/24/70, since Bear (Owsley) was locked up for LSD during the show, I think it’d give 2/13/70 a run for its money. I great Darin star sandwich with Attics of My Life and an early rendition of Sugar Magnolia thrown in. And you get one of THE most electrifying Not Fade Away I have ever heard. Makes my arm hairs stand up just thinking about it now. Goosebump inducing, like riding the Grateful Dead rollercoaster

After many (many) years of not getting the Dead, I am currently finally listening to Anthem of the Sun. Now THIS I get. And I can also see where many of those lo-fi indie bands I loved in the 90s were getting their inspiration. I am so glad that I finally decided to see how the Dead started out. I wish someone had played me this the first time I heard Surrealistic Pillow (approx. 30 years ago).

Last edited:
Is it some kind of a rule that their studio recordings are all distorted? Re: Wake of the Flood.
I have never noticed any distortion. Are you saying the recording "clips" due to high levels? I believe most GD records sound excellent, though some early stuff is a bit lo fi. Wake of the Flood is definitely well- mixed (also probably my favorite GD studio effort) so not sure what you mean.

I just hope they don't pull a skull and roses and sell it for 3x the original selling price

How are you gonna turn around and flip your own retail goods? Shameless
They won’t until it gets down to the last copies. My guess is they put the replacement discs up for the ridiculous prices. If you want it, backorder now from MD and it locks in the price. They don’t charge until shipment. Otherwise, MoFis have been flying off the shelves as soon as they pop back up on the sites. Mars Hotel was gone very quickly and I think that’s the last batch of pressings for it.

They won’t until it gets down to the last copies. My guess is they put the replacement discs up for the ridiculous prices. If you want it, backorder now from MD and it locks in the price. They don’t charge until shipment. Otherwise, MoFis have been flying off the shelves as soon as they pop back up on the sites. Mars Hotel was gone very quickly and I think that’s the last batch of pressings for it.
i wasn't sure about that -- first time i went to look for allah it said sold out and i was just now able to backorder, didn't know if they charged right away or when shipped, so that's good to know, i ordered it.

i wasn't sure about that -- first time i went to look for allah it said sold out and i was just now able to backorder, didn't know if they charged right away or when shipped, so that's good to know, i ordered it.
Music Direct charges when shipping. MoFi I think charges when you order. I almost never order off the MoFi site directly.

MD doesn't have a "sold out" status as far as I know. When things are OOP, they just get taken off their site. It will say "awaiting repress" or "Out of Stock". OOS usually means the repress is already on order. Awaiting usually means it will be repressed but isn't to the pressing plants yet if i recall correctly...

I have never noticed any distortion. Are you saying the recording "clips" due to high levels? I believe most GD records sound excellent, though some early stuff is a bit lo fi. Wake of the Flood is definitely well- mixed (also probably my favorite GD studio effort) so not sure what you mean.
I always thought Wake of the Flood sounded great too. But, honestly, I think it sounds even better on vinyl. My original sounds phenomenal. But that Rhino remaster repress from a few years ago is just as great!

Thank you! I will listen again and be more specific if I encounter the same issue.

Anyone has any idea what pressing of Live/Dead this may be?

Amazon product ASIN B000091DR6
Amazon doesn't give much details, but according to Discogs the last non-MoFi pressings were done by Warner/Rhino on 2003. That sounds like a very long time ago for this pressing to be on sale nowadays, unless this is a non-limited run that has been repressed multiple times?

Anyway. I need a good sounding copy of this album, so any help would be appreciated.

Amazon doesn't give much details, but according to Discogs the last non-MoFi pressings were done by Warner/Rhino on 2003. That sounds like a very long time ago for this pressing to be on sale nowadays, unless this is a non-limited run that has been repressed multiple times?

Anyway. I need a good sounding copy of this album, so any help would be appreciated.
It's the 2003 Rhino. I have it, it's good.

You are buying from a third party seller, but Rhino has been quietly repressing some of their GD titles (see Europe 72).

Back