The Good Ol' Grateful Thread

Just curious if anyone has the Mofi of Shady Grove and can comment on sound quality. I have the opportunity to get it for a good price. (a lot cheaper that discogs) I‘ve read very good things but would like a few opinions. My system always sounds great with acoustic and songwriter records and this is one I’ve wanted since it went OOP.

Just curious if anyone has the Mofi of Shady Grove and can comment on sound quality. I have the opportunity to get it for a good price. (a lot cheaper that discogs) I‘ve read very good things but would like a few opinions. My system always sounds great with acoustic and songwriter records and this is one I’ve wanted since it went OOP.
Sounds great. Demo material, but with virtuoso playing and late Garcia vocals. I would also pick up the MoFi Garcia Grisman album too, if acoustic albums are your thing. I wish they would do a MoFi Pizza Tapes and So What...

More for the UK bunch I think but ebay are running there nearly perma 20% off code again and there are a few boxes at Music Magpie that can be grabbed for decent costs. Stand outs being

28/2/69 Fillmore - £64.28 with code for an awesome 5LP set is pretty spot on

and

11/10/67 Shrine (which may actually be my fave Dead on vinyl) - £57 with code

6/17/91 - Saint of Circumstance - £64 with code

and the Grateful Dead Records Collection (including Rhinos of Blues for Allah, Mars Hotel, Wake of the Flood and Steal Your Face - £72 with code

They also have the 50th of the debut for £16 with a code and the 50th of Workingman's Dead for £22 with a code.

Couple more uk based bargains

HMV have a couple of dead boxes in it's 30% off stack

Shrine 1967 - £48.50 with free shipping using Vinyl30

Portland 19/5/74. OK. So the vocals are generally a bit recessed (and very recessed on side C) but it's £42 for a 6 LP live box. I mean the amount of flipping you need to do is a bit wild but for that price it's a steal. Same code

Last edited:
Trying to get into the Dead here. Any opinions on the American Beauty 50th anniversary reissue? Im eyeing the standard black pressing (not the splatter or picture disk) on Amazon, but would like to know if it's any good.

Url: Grateful Dead* - American Beauty
I'm sure its good. I think it is a Bellman cut. Almost all of the recent Dead releases are good. American Beauty is a classic, so you can't go wrong.

Anybody have thoughts on Grateful Dead-History of the Grateful Dead Vol 1?
For many years I considered it one of my favorite Dead releases. I love all the acoustic cuts. “Katie Mae” and “Wake Up Little Susie” are pretty rare as far as Dead cuts go. “Dark Hollow” is near perfect—“You can lose a finger trying to use one.”

And the “Hard to Handle” is one of those perfect Dead jams. Lots of great Jerry licks in that one. Between that cut and the “Smokestack Lightning,” I like to tell people that’s where I really learned how to play guitar.

Any who, get it. It’s a bunch of cuts personally selected by Bear, Owsley Stanley, their sound engineer and also one of the best LSD chemists to ever grace this planet. It’s perfect for that. It’s also the first appearance of the Grateful Dead dancing bears (back cover), which is said to have been conceptualized from the way Bear or Owsley Stanley would dance at their shows.

Of all the Dead records, this is one I have an incredibly personal connection too, so I AM biased. You won’t see it recommend or talked about much but it’s fantastic.

If you can find the remastered digital version with the added songs, download it. There are some cool cuts there too.
Worth it just for the Smokestack Lightnin'. That was a great vehicle for Pigpen.
Oh yes, I absolutely love this version.
The “Hard to Handle” is fantastic as well, with a nice concise Dead jam sandwiched in between.
Trying to get into the Dead here. Any opinions on the American Beauty 50th anniversary reissue? Im eyeing the standard black pressing (not the splatter or picture disk) on Amazon, but would like to know if it's any good.

Url: Grateful Dead* - American Beauty
Like wmeugene stared, the current reissue is a Bellman cut and should sound pretty good.

American Beauty is not your typical Dead sound that you’d get from the live experience, that being said it’s arguably their greatest studio album. And an essential in every collection, imo. (Probably the one Dead album that could be most universally loved.)

Jerry also takes a back seat with the soloing and it really helps the songs shine in their simplistic organic beauty. You also get some pedal steal from him, which is always a win as he only played it for a very short time, maybe two years?

But it has a handful of Dead standards at their concerts—“Friend of the Devil,” “Sugar Magnolia,” “Candyman,” “Ripple,” “Brokedown Palace,” and “Truckin.” The rest of the songs are great.

I’d also say this is a great starting point, I’d recommend Europe ‘72 next to get a nice glimpse into their live sound with arguably their greatest year—1972.

Anywho, I hope you enjoy the album.
I hope it speaks to you and calms your soul like it has my own so many times over the years.
Hope you enjoy what you find with this band.
There is so much to explore if you’ve the time.
💀🌹

Last edited:
Any news on if shakedown street is getting a repress soon? Really need to add it to my collection...any definitive older pressing I should go for, instead of that audio fidelity one right now ?

Back