The Good Ol' Grateful Thread

Finally getting around to watching this. As a huge fan of the Day of the Dead comp I always wondered how Weir and the National linked up. From (I think) a different live Weir show I watched the other day I think he said at least the idea of Blue Mountain came after this HeadCount show. I feel like I also read that the comp was begun even earlier than 2012. Either way, a fun watch and apart from the weird Fake Empire it's pretty good. Really beautiful "Most of the Time."

Edit: "The Other One" too.

Finally getting around to watching this. As a huge fan of the Day of the Dead comp I always wondered how Weir and the National linked up. From (I think) a different live Weir show I watched the other day I think he said at least the idea of Blue Mountain came after this HeadCount show. I feel like I also read that the comp was begun even earlier than 2012. Either way, a fun watch and apart from the weird Fake Empire it's pretty good. Really beautiful "Most of the Time."

Edit: "The Other One" too.

Thanks! I hadn't seen this. I'm really enjoying the version of Looks Like Rain w/ trumpet.

Edited to add. Yeah, that was a phenomenal version of The Other One too.

Last edited:
This is cool and all, but the source is 16bit-44.1k DAT tape. So basically a CD pressed to vinyl.

This is cool and all, but the source is 16bit-44.1k DAT tape. So basically a CD pressed to vinyl.

Trying to decide between this and one of the MoFi Skull and Roses. Both are '71 Dead and Three seems like it would be a nice show to have, but I'd prefer to wait until it is released and get some feedback on how it sounds and I'm afraid it won't last that long. Then again, if I get Three, then I feel like I should also get One and Two and now we've dropped $200+ (not even counting Buffalo '77 later this year) and I'm explaining myself to my better half again. Problems...

Wanted to share some cool new Dead inspired shirts I received over the last week.
cxVLzJS.jpg

MOPWmI5.jpg

Happy anniversary to one of the best shows ever: Veneta 72. I hope the naked man on the pole is doing well
This show has been my go to all summer now. I swear that “China Cat Sunflower”—>”I Know You Rider” is the best one of all of ‘72. And the “Dark Star” and “Bird Song” are excellent versions as well. The “Playin’ In The Band” is ace as well.

Also, there was an article released years ago about how the naked pole guy is kind of embarrassed to be immortalized in the film and is now currently working as a lawyer I believe.

Didn’t realize this was a thing.... pretty cool, but not for me.

Didn’t realize this was a thing.... pretty cool, but not for me.

As much as I love Seastones (ok, I can listen to it. That should count as "love"), I suspect I would think there is something wrong with my setup if I was listening to it in any other format than digital.

As much as I love Seastones (ok, I can listen to it. That should count as "love"), I suspect I would think there is something wrong with my setup if I was listening to it in any other format than digital.
Funny story - they put Seastones on one of the recent Dave’s Picks CDs and it was a reeeeeally out there, droning version that played for like 8 minutes before my girlfriend popped her head in and said “what in the world is going on with your setup??” She prompted me to make sure the brand new CD wasn’t all fucked up and of course it wasn’t, but I wasn’t prepared for Seastones to start one of the CDs lol

Anyway, picked up Seastones yesterday. Excited to hear that and see my gf’s reaction.

Funny story - they put Seastones on one of the recent Dave’s Picks CDs and it was a reeeeeally out there, droning version that played for like 8 minutes before my girlfriend popped her head in and said “what in the world is going on with your setup??” She prompted me to make sure the brand new CD wasn’t all fucked up and of course it wasn’t, but I wasn’t prepared for Seastones to start one of the CDs lol

Anyway, picked up Seastones yesterday. Excited to hear that and see my gf’s reaction.
I have this DP and my gf had a similar experience. She now gets to control the music during road trips.
But let me know what you think of the release. I think it was a cool idea that was created by two very smart dudes. I am definitely curious.

Back