The football thread RenegadeMonster is looking for: NFL talk

The MNF team is so bad. Fowler and Herbstreit are doing a great job, ESPN should really make them the usual MNF team next year.
Seriously. They are effortlessly smooth and informative. Not sure if Herbie would wanna give up his College Football Gameday duties but it would be a major improvement in the MNF booth.

Seriously. They are effortlessly smooth and informative. Not sure if Herbie would wanna give up his College Football Gameday duties but it would be a major improvement in the MNF booth.
I kind of feel like he should. The College Football landscape is so messed up right now and the firestorm his comments about players and bowl games should cause some looking at the greener pastures of the NFL.

I think more exposure to Herbstreit would start to get grating. He can be informative but dude is a major Concussion Uncle. I guess he's just Griese amped up to 11. Any experienced play by play is better than Levy though. He has absolutely no juice. Hot take for the color analyst is they should have just let Booger cook. He seemed to do better on his own instead of with a team.

Also Manningcast is good but I don't remember anything that happens in those games after. Feels like they could use a RedZone host type to give the major events happening along the way but mostly stay out of the discussion.

I think more exposure to Herbstreit would start to get grating. He can be informative but dude is a major Concussion Uncle. I guess he's just Griese amped up to 11. Any experienced play by play is better than Levy though. He has absolutely no juice. Hot take for the color analyst is they should have just let Booger cook. He seemed to do better on his own instead of with a team.
Herbstreit is a lot smoother than Griese. Yes, he is patronizing to College players, but I haven't seen that in his discussions about pro players. Fowler is definitely one of the best play by play guys out there.

I didn’t mind Booger but there wasn’t much chemistry with any of his booth mates. I don’t think herbie is anything special but I don’t find him annoying. The reason they I think they should keep Herbie and Fowler together is the chemistry they have developed for the past 20 years. They seem comfortable together and while they might have a lower ceiling than some announcers they are never bad and at the very least they don’t distract from the game.

Last edited:
Chicago has two of the best play-by-play announcers going today. The White Sox have Jason Bennetti (who has called some basketball and baseball for ESPN) and The Bulls have Adam Amin who calls some football for Fox. Both are fantastic and I am sure will end up with more national exposure as their careers progress.

Also, I know it’s baseball but I saw that ESPN is removing A-Rod from the Sunday Night Baseball booth and replaced him with David Cone which means I will be able to unmute the TV when I am watching Sunday Night Baseball (whenever that is).

Also Manningcast is good but I don't remember anything that happens in those games after. Feels like they could use a RedZone host type to give the major events happening along the way but mostly stay out of the discussion.
I think I watched the Manningcast mainly because it was more informative than the MNF booth and more entertaining than the majority of Monday Night Football games.

I think I watched the Manningcast mainly because it was more informative than the MNF booth and more entertaining than the majority of Monday Night Football games.
I can only watch it with games I don't really care about (aka all NFC games oops). I need the traditional commentary for games I care about; it's cleaner and more precise. I love the Mannings and their show, but it gets distracting when I'm really trying to pay attention.

Chicago has two of the best play-by-play announcers going today. The White Sox have Jason Bennetti (who has called some basketball and baseball for ESPN) and The Bulls have Adam Amin who calls some football for Fox. Both are fantastic and I am sure will end up with more national exposure as their careers progress.

Also, I know it’s baseball but I saw that ESPN is removing A-Rod from the Sunday Night Baseball booth and replaced him with David Cone which means I will be able to unmute the TV when I am watching Sunday Night Baseball (whenever that is).
The Phillies play by play guy, Tom McCarthy, does some football and he's getting the call up to the Romo A-Team tomorrow with Jim Nantz in protocols. I think he's better at football than baseball, but maybe that's because he replaced the legend Harry Kalas, also formerly the voice of NFL Films.

Love Amin in both basketball and football. He does a great job of balancing schlereth at his most feral.

This has actually been a decent MNF broadcast so far for a game that doesn't really matter. Well prepared for the compelling story lines like Kelce's streak and Devonta Smith's record. The best thing about this crew calling Eagles games is catching all the subtle shots Louis Riddick takes at Eagles GM Howie Roseman, who he previously worked with.

Edit: And the small segment on unlikely hometown Super Bowl hero, Corey Clement!

Last edited:
So how many of tomorrow's games really don't matter? Or I guess, what games DO matter? If I'm not mistaken, the Colts need to win to get into the playoffs but I could be wrong. Who else's futures are hinging on winning tomorrow?

So how many of tomorrow's games really don't matter? Or I guess, what games DO matter? If I'm not mistaken, the Colts need to win to get into the playoffs but I could be wrong. Who else's futures are hinging on winning tomorrow?
The big one is Raiders vs Chargers - winner is in, loser is out.
If the Niners beat the Rams they are in, but if they lose and the Saints win they are out.
Those are the two big ones I can think of.

The big one is Raiders vs Chargers - winner is in, loser is out.
If the Niners beat the Rams they are in, but if they lose and the Saints win they are out.
Those are the two big ones I can think of.
I haven't been paying much attention to the radiers or chargers this year, so that's exciting to hear. lowkey want the chargers to lose because i want my bengals to win at least one playoff game and i don't think we can beat herbert. or mahomes again. probably not the titans either. but maybe the colts?

I haven't been paying much attention to the radiers or chargers this year, so that's exciting to hear. lowkey want the chargers to lose because i want my bengals to win at least one playoff game and i don't think we can beat herbert. or mahomes again. probably not the titans either. but maybe the colts?
I have no idea how they AFC seeding will shake out but I think the Bengals could beat anyone in the first one, assuming Joe is healthy.

Back