The February Record Spin Challenge - It's All Connected, Maaaannnnn

5. Play 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon with the next pick- find some way in 6 steps or less to connect the musicians involved in today’s album with those on yesterday’s.

Degree 1: Starting from Outkast "ATLiens", there is a track on the album titled "Babylon", leading us to Max Romeo & The Upsetters' "War Ina Babylon".

IMG_3389.JPG

Degree 2: "War Ina Babylon" includes a track titled "Norman", leading us to the Norman Smith produced album "Piper At The Gates of Dawn" by Pink Floyd.

IMG_3393.JPG

Degree 3: Norman Smith was an engineer at Abbey Road, leading us to The Beatles' "Abbey Road".

IMG_3391.JPG

Degree 4: Beatles member Paul McCartney later formed the band Wings and released "Band On The Run".

IMG_3392.JPG

Degree 5: Band On The Run was recorded at ARC Studios in Lagos, where Fela Ransome Kuti & The Africa 70's Alagbon Close was also recorded.

IMG_3390.JPG

Degree 6: Fela Kuti also worked with Roy Ayers, who originally wrote the opener "Aragon" on...

The Surefire Soul Ensemble "Build Bridges" (2019 Colemine Records)

IMG_3394.JPG

5. Play 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon with the next pick- find some way in 6 steps or less to connect the musicians involved in today’s album with those on yesterday’s.

Degree 1: Starting from Outkast "ATLiens", there is a track on the album titled "Babylon", leading us to Max Romeo & The Upsetters' "War Ina Babylon".

View attachment 166227

Degree 2: "War Ina Babylon" includes a track titled "Norman", leading us to the Norman Smith produced album "Piper At The Gates of Dawn" by Pink Floyd.

View attachment 166232

Degree 3: Norman Smith was an engineer at Abbey Road, leading us to The Beatles' "Abbey Road".

View attachment 166229

Degree 4: Beatles member Paul McCartney later formed the band Wings and released "Band On The Run".

View attachment 166231

Degree 5: Band On The Run was recorded at ARC Studios in Lagos, where Fela Ransome Kuti & The Africa 70's Alagbon Close was also recorded.

View attachment 166228

Degree 6: Fela Kuti also worked with Roy Ayers, who originally wrote the opener "Aragon" on...

The Surefire Soul Ensemble "Build Bridges" (2019 Colemine Records)

View attachment 166233
Ooohhhh, were we supposed to play our way through the six degrees? I kinda blew it on that one.

Yesterday I played David Bowie ~ Low.

David Bowie was in Labyrinth, directed by Jim Henson. Who also directed this movie (and sang Rainbow Connection).

Taken another direction, David Bowie had an uncredited role as the Shark in Yellowbeard, which also featured Madeline Kahn. Madeline Kahn was also in The Muppet Movie with Paul Williams (who wrote Rainbow Connection).

The Muppet Movie ~ Original Soundtrack Recording

1675701305009.png

Edit - Bonus of Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem covering Suffragette City at the Hollywood Bowl, completing the circle.

Last edited:

Yesterday I placed a Nicolas Jaar album. Nicolas Jaar started a label called Other People that Lydia Lunch is signed to. Lydia is featured in a song with Sonic Youth called “Death Valley ‘69.”That song was produced by Clint Ruin. Clint has also worked with Nine Inch Nails. The Nine Inch Nails song “Hurt” was famously covered by Johnny Cash.

Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison

4098EF79-81DE-4768-B6E5-5C35084ACD97.jpeg

6. Play something from the same record label as yesterday, but by a different artist.
Tracking my connections thus far: Howard Jones --> Drive~By Truckers --> Kraftwerk --> David Bowie --> Muppets

Both the Muppet Movie and this album are on the Atlantic label. I guess I could've gone with Led Zeppelin, but this is way more confusing (and entertaining to me). Plus it sets me up nicely for tomorrow.

Debbie Gibson ~ Electric Youth

1675714219616.png

Day 5: 6 Degrees of…

Flying Lotus
& Thundercat both contributed to Kendrick Lamar’s “To Pimp a Butterfly” album

Kendrick Lamar collaborated with The Weeknd on “Pray for Me” & “Sidewalks

The Weeknd’s “Dawn FM” album featured an interlude narrated by Quincy Jones

Quincy Jones
produced…

Patti Austin - Every Home Should Have One

E76C297D-1ED4-4B65-8DFE-5121DC542F4C.jpeg

6. Play something from the same record label as yesterday, but by a different artist.

modern-harmonic.jpg

The Barrence Whitfield Soul Savage Arkestra – Songs From The Sun Ra Cosmos
20230206_200845.jpg

Modern Harmonic, an imprint of Sundazed Music, puts out more than just Sun Ra and Sun Ra adjacent releases - I even have some of them. But they also happen to put out some of the finest contemporary Sun Ra and Sun Ra adjacent releases, for which I'm very grateful. This one is particularly fun!

Day 7 Play an album with a cover that somehow reminds you of yesterday’s album.
View attachment 166351
Rilo Kiley "Take Offs and Landings" - saw the outside of the plane might as well check out what's on the inside! Plus I get to listen to this amazing record today!!
I like the reflection. Almost looks like power lines.

7. Play an album with a cover that somehow reminds you of yesterday’s album.
Garbage "Garbage"
(1995 Almo Sounds; 2021 reissue)
Yesterday's album cover was pink with black typography, just like this one. Plus yesterday's record was pink with a black inner label while this one is black with a pink inner label.
IMG_3404.JPG

The Postal Service - Give Up

I played Floating Points, who remixed Caribou ("Never Comeback"). Caribou collaborated with Four Tet on a remix of The Notwist's "This Room," and The Notwist and Calexico made the song "Care Less" together. Calexico teamed up with Iron & Wine for an EP and an album, and Iron & Wine famously covered "Such Great Heights," from this album by the Postal Service.

20200424_122145-jpg.42958

7. Play an album with a cover that somehow reminds you of yesterday’s album.

Tracking my connections thus far: Howard Jones --> Drive~By Truckers --> Kraftwerk --> David Bowie --> Muppets --> Debbie Gibson

While I originally was thinking of the head tilt on yesterday and todays albums, when you combine Electric Youth with today's album and terrible photoshop skills, I've come up with what would be a great cover for a bootleg of Dylan going electric at the Newport Folk Festival.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-JxHxqJaqjnoK4uC.jpgScreenshot 2023-02-07 at 11.12.16 AM.png

Bob Dylan ~ Highway 61 Revisited

1675797769871.png

Back