The February Record Spin Challenge - It's All Connected, Maaaannnnn

3. Play the sonic opposite of yesterday’s pick. (Go West s/t)
Alice In Chains - Dirt
Yesterday's pick was upbeat, synthy, dance pop. Today's is bleak, grungy, guitar heavy rock.
(As an aside, I'm feeling pretty bleak about my 30th anniversary box set ever arriving as it's been delayed multiple times)

dirt.jpg

Day 3 Polar Opposite

Ok, so I initially read it wrong and did it this way. I stand by my choice.

Day Two was The Beatles and according to Antipodesmapdotcom, New Zealand is very close to the opposite side of the globe as Liverpool.

So how about some Marlon Williams?

IMG_3337.JPG

4. Play an album by an artist that would make for an interesting collaboration with yesterday’s artist.

3. Play the sonic opposite of yesterday’s pick.

Holly Bowling - Seeking All That's Still Unsung

View attachment 165929

I discovered Holly Bowling at The Warren Haynes Christmas Jam about 6 years ago. She played all the music between set changes and absolutely floored me. As Warren also has a GD connection, I'd love to hear what they'd invent together.

Gov't Mule's outstanding blues record from 2021...

Gov't Mule - Heavy Load Blues

20220114_221716.jpg

3. Play the sonic opposite of yesterday’s pick.

I spun this yesterday too, but it was so good and perfect for working/this prompt that I'm spinning it again this morning. Great album!

Isis - Oceanic
View attachment 165941
4. Play an album by an artist that would make for an interesting collaboration with yesterday’s artist.

I would love a collaboration between a band like Isis and a woman singer who has that high register with a range, someone like Björk or Fever Ray. I'm stuck on my back again this morning, so I'm streaming on my phone, but I do have this on vinyl and would spin it instead if I could get to the other room.

IMG_20230204_090731.jpg

Last edited:
Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica

2B2D75E0-40A0-421E-91C1-6AF151BF156B.jpeg
I guess it would be an interesting collaboration because Jesus Lizard was a clear influence on Isaac’s vocal style and energy. I’ve definitely been to more Modest Mouse shows than I have for any other band, I don’t think I could even guess how many times I’ve seen them live. Once in Reading, England I arrived and they had sold out the show but the band put me on their guest list and it was awesome

Day 03. Play the sonic opposite of yesterday’s pick.

José González - Veneer

View attachment 165982
Trying to determine what is the opposite of funk, I decided super earnest singer-songwriter acoustic folk rock would kinda fall on the other side of the musical spectrum I suppose.

Day 04. Play an album by an artist that would make for an interesting collaboration with yesterday’s artist.

Jens Lekman - Night Falls Over Kortedala

235CB1A3-E469-406C-98A5-E758AFE6F558.jpeg
Both José González and Jens were born in Gothenburg, Sweden, they also share a similar musical sensibility. I think Jens could add some lovely production flourishes to González music.

Last edited:
Back