The February 2024 Record Challenge Thread - Silver Screen Edition Part Deux

Wednesday February 28th
Monty Python: The Life of Brian

How about another song?

Eric Idle - "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life" - STEREO HQ

Play something positive
OR
Play anything this song or movie brings to mind

Well, apologies as this isn't positive. This came to mind as Eric Idle has been active on social media the last few weeks talking about the financial mismanagement of Monty Python properties, and that he still has to work at age 80. Although he does come across as still enjoying what he does. So I'm going with this album, specifically for this track.

R.E.M. ~ Automatic for the People

IMG_6122.jpeg

So I'm leaving town at the break of dawn tomorrow, so I'd miss the last day of the challenge without any chance to catch it up until next Tuesday at the earliest. What's up with damn February deciding to add a gratuitous extra day just to fuck over my vinyl spin challenge mojo? Anyway, I don't really want to miss out, so I'm going to play this last one early so I can finish out @ranbalam 's month. Just this one time.

Anyway, not to worry, I have a permit.

pOg9ENa.gif

If anyone was planning on playing the below record, well, kudos, you have awesome taste. But you weren't.

Anyway, onto the future!

Thursday February 29th
Grace of My Heart
I adore this movie, I think it's fairly off the radar. Has anyone seen this?
It proved difficult to find the clips I wanted for this one, so here's the trailer.

Grace of My Heart Official Trailer #1 - John Turturro Movie (1996) HD

Sloan "Alive & Alright" (2023 Murderrecords)
I like Sloan, but had no idea about this record until a week ago. Somehow completely missed me. I was playing the recent "Never Hear The End Of It" reissue and was wondering if there was anything coming in their reissue program, like whether if there was any news on a "Between The Bridges" or a "Pretty Together" reissue. So I went to their Murderecords website and nothing new on either of those, but lo and behold this live album was sitting there in the store. And it's from a show on the "Between the Bridges" tour, essentially playing the songs from that record. I check out Discogs and reviews are fantastic on the pressing, so... fast forward 6 days to yesterday and here it is in my hands, now on my radar. Lovely tip-on jacket too. And an excellent recording and pressing.

IMG_0921.JPG

Wednesday February 28th
Monty Python: The Life of Brian

Play something positive

I seem to use this album for plenty of challenges, but it's an album that really means a lot to me.
The title track is a good example of someone struggling with things in their life, but still finding a way to get up. I already loved the song, then listened to a Song Exploder that featured it. Nathaniel spoke so candidly about his struggles and his need to write this album, I loved it even more.

IMG_7283.JPG

Day 28

IMG_6526.jpeg
Yo-Yo Ma with Ton Koopman and the Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra - Simply Baroque

By all accounts Ma is a good guy. He does a lot of work that speaks to that. He also does nifty cool things in the classical realm. He certainly gets an amount of crossover buzz with projects with James Taylor and Bobby Mcferrin.

This album is one of those nifty cool things. He had his Cello restored to its original configuration and stringed as it would have been in the time period it was made. Retrofitting it meant removing the end piece that cellists use to rest their instrument on the floor.

All of this gave the cello a richer, warmer sound. He then worked with Koopman, whose orchestra also play period instruments, to play period music… Bach and the like.

So while there are many very familiar pieces here, they sound different than you might be used to.

Last edited:
Back