The Darlington Labs thread (New 2024 models!)

MattHasIdeas

I know that the lineup of products from Keith and the fantastic folks at Darlington Labs has been discussed in the forums at length. However, I didn't see a dedicated thread (outside of the MM6 tour). As some of you have already noted, the Darlington Labs website was updated yesterday to include all the recently announced phono preamp offerings. The quick notes:
Check out any of the links above for the full specs. I'd really love if someone would do a direct side-by-side of the original specs and the updated models so we can see the core differences. Also available on their shop site is the option to Upgrade your older model Darlington Labs products. This is a great incentive for those of you who have been using some of the DL preamps and want to make an upgrade.

I have had the MP-7 on my wish list, and my wife had wanted to get it for me as a Christmas present. She received an email from Keith about a week prior to the holiday asking if it would be OK if they shipped the upgraded MP7B model (at no additional cost) even if it wouldn't be until the new year. She figured I wouldn't mind. She was correct. I've had a tracking number since January 9th, and I am (not so) patiently waiting for my MP7B to arrive so I can plug it in and share with you my impressions.

So here you go. Fire away!

I have an MP7B on order. Keith told me it should ship by the end of January ‘24. He didn’t mention the MP8B when I emailed for info on the MP7. Now I’m thinking I should just get the MPB8.
Just curious, as I’m trying to forecast when I may get mine. When did you place your order, and do you have a tracking # yet? My shipping label was generated on 1/9, so I’m reduced to checking every morning to see if the package has moved. Day 10. It has not.

Just curious, as I’m trying to forecast when I may get mine. When did you place your order, and do you have a tracking # yet? My shipping label was generated on 1/9, so I’m reduced to checking every morning to see if the package has moved. Day 10. It has not.
I placed my order on January 3. I haven’t received a Tracking # yet. You may want to send Keith an email and ask for an update.

The eagle has landed. Won't have any time to spin any records today but had some time to get things hooked up. Interestingly, the order invoice and the manual included in the box all say MP-7. No reference to MP7B anywhere whatsoever. Sent an email to Keith just to confirm that this is, indeed, the newest model. Is it accurate that the external housing for all the models look identical? How would one be able to tell which one they have without tearing it open and looking at the PCB?

Attachments

• IMG_3093.JPG
    IMG_3093.JPG
    550.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3096.JPG
    IMG_3096.JPG
    278.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3097.JPG
    IMG_3097.JPG
    333 KB · Views: 18
The eagle has landed. Won't have any time to spin any records today but had some time to get things hooked up. Interestingly, the order invoice and the manual included in the box all say MP-7. No reference to MP7B anywhere whatsoever. Sent an email to Keith just to confirm that this is, indeed, the newest model. Is it accurate that the external housing for all the models look identical? How would one be able to tell which one they have without tearing it open and looking at the PCB?

Yes they even offer upgrades where you send your old model back in and they just switch out the pcb. It would involve opening it up but it’s designed to be opened up to change fhe settings anyway so that shouldn’t be any biggy.

Last edited:
Don't worry, I spent a zillion dollars to buy a VPI Signature Classic turnable and they sent me the wrong manual with all the wrong instructions on how to put it together. These guys are all bad at the consumer details part...

Last edited:
Don't worry, I spent a zillion dollars to buy a VPI Signature Classic turnable and they sent me the wrong manual with all the wrong instructions on how to put it together. These guys are bad at the consumer details part...

Yeah there was no manual with my PrimaLuna at all, someone forgot to pack it. Ended up printing it and getting it bound at work.

Yeah there was no manual with my PrimaLuna at all, someone forgot to pack it. Ended up printing it and getting it bound at work.
I googled the manual, found it didn't exist. Then googled pictures and phoned people. You wouldn't think that VPI is run like a "small" company but dear lord, they are. Forward facing customer service is non-existent.

Last edited:
I googled it, found it didn't exist. Then googled pictures and phoned people. You wouldn't think that VPI is run like a "small" company but dear lord, they are. Forward facing customer service is non-existent.

Same with PL. When I bought mine there were no silver face plates because Covid times and there was a price hike on the way so I just got the black. A while back I tried to buy a silver face plate to change it and they were amenable and even gave me a price but no one seemed to figure out whose job it was to arrange to bill me for the sale and it just ended up pestering out!

How do you adjust the gain?

I googled the manual, found it didn't exist. Then googled pictures and phoned people. You wouldn't think that VPI is run like a "small" company but dear lord, they are. Forward facing customer service is non-existent.
I mean they are definitely a small company.

VPI *is* a small business. They have around 20 employees and they are family owned.

I mean they are definitely a small company.

VPI *is* a small business. They have around 20 employees and they are family owned.
Sure but they sell a tonne of turntables and still have a hard time actually supplying the correct manuals for the very expensive things they sell. That's insane to me.

Back