The Darlington Labs thread (New 2024 models!)

From my email with Keith re: differentiating between models:
"Unless you open the top, the only indicator that it is the MP7B is the hand written model number, serial # and QC date. We may not have packed a 2.5mm hex wrench nor additional jumpers either. Those we can provide once the manual is done. If you remove the top cover, you will see many Jumpers inside and the PCB itself will be marked as an MP7B with a particular PCB date, either 20231118, 20231130 or approx 20231212. Probably the latter. All are electronically equal."

@dansomeone -- I asked a follow-up question about what the user experience looks like for adjusting some of the variable settings mentioned on the product page (gain, loading, subsonic filter, etc...). I have to assume that this would be fairly easy to do and wouldn't require a background in electrical engineering. We shall see.

From my email with Keith re: differentiating between models:
"Unless you open the top, the only indicator that it is the MP7B is the hand written model number, serial # and QC date. We may not have packed a 2.5mm hex wrench nor additional jumpers either. Those we can provide once the manual is done. If you remove the top cover, you will see many Jumpers inside and the PCB itself will be marked as an MP7B with a particular PCB date, either 20231118, 20231130 or approx 20231212. Probably the latter. All are electronically equal."

@dansomeone -- I asked a follow-up question about what the user experience looks like for adjusting some of the variable settings mentioned on the product page (gain, loading, subsonic filter, etc...). I have to assume that this would be fairly easy to do and wouldn't require a background in electrical engineering. We shall see.
Okay, so to make adjustments you remove the top cover and move jumpers, like with a Sutherland unit, got it!

I know that the lineup of products from Keith and the fantastic folks at Darlington Labs has been discussed in the forums at length. However, I didn't see a dedicated thread (outside of the MM6 tour). As some of you have already noted, the Darlington Labs website was updated yesterday to include all the recently announced phono preamp offerings. The quick notes:
Check out any of the links above for the full specs. I'd really love if someone would do a direct side-by-side of the original specs and the updated models so we can see the core differences. Also available on their shop site is the option to Upgrade your older model Darlington Labs products. This is a great incentive for those of you who have been using some of the DL preamps and want to make an upgrade.

I have had the MP-7 on my wish list, and my wife had wanted to get it for me as a Christmas present. She received an email from Keith about a week prior to the holiday asking if it would be OK if they shipped the upgraded MP7B model (at no additional cost) even if it wouldn't be until the new year. She figured I wouldn't mind. She was correct. I've had a tracking number since January 9th, and I am (not so) patiently waiting for my MP7B to arrive so I can plug it in and share with you my impressions.

So here you go. Fire away!
Congratulations! I hope you love it! Question - did you spring for the upgraded jacks? I just ordered a MP7B and I did not.....I just ordered the standard jacks. Thanks!

I wanted to pop in after spending some time with the new preamp to give some impressions. My pre-2024 system has had a lot of upgrades outside of the MP7B, so this is not a great scientific experiment.

The upgrades:
  • The turntable: U-Turn Orbit Custom (Gen1) --> U-Turn Orbit Theory
  • The cartridge/stylus: Ortofon OM10 --> Ortofon 2M Bronze
  • The phono preamp: U-Turn Pluto (built-in) --> Darlington Labs MP7B
Having not been able to sell my old turntable yet, I guess I could do a better comparison by hooking up the new preamp to the old turntable in order to just see what kind of positive gains are created just from the MP7B, without taking into consideration the other upgrades... However, I'm never going back. I'm on to bigger and better. To hell with science. Also, anyone looking to buy a turntable?

Albums spun this weekend:
  • Black Sabbath - Master of Reality (new VMP reissue)
  • Peeping Tom S/T (reissue from late last year)
  • The Smile - Wall of Eyes
  • Glassjaw - Worship & Tribute (from the new "Playable Collection" box set
I'll say that some of these pressings are better than others, and I'll be definitely opting to listen to some records in my collection that I know sound pristine. However, the thing that I noticed straight away is just how much more crisp and clear my system is sounding. The instrument separation and dynamics are incredible. I'm still in the process of breaking in the new cartridge AND there's a break-in period on the preamp in which I'm told the sound quality (particularly the bass punchiness?) is expected to be even better. I cannot wait. I love this new Orbit Custom and the MP7B is an absolute BEAST. I am loving it thus far.

Well, I emailed Keith yesterday and ordered the upgraded jack pack. Based this on the Blue Jeans Cables that arrived - they are big and strong....as many of you know. And I thought it would be worthwhile to have jacks just as robust as my cables.
Welcome to the club! My acquisitions of the Darlington Labs preamp and BlueJeans LC-1s can be fully attributed to the people in this forum touting them.

Just getting started back into vinyl after 30 years.
Just ordered an MM-6 as I am going to stick with MM for now so the MM-6 made a lot of sense to me on every level.
I saw how patient Keith was on another forum and he seems like a great human being.
Looking forward to my return to vinyl.
Welcome to the forum! And I think you’re gonna love that MM6

Just getting started back into vinyl after 30 years.
Just ordered an MM-6 as I am going to stick with MM for now so the MM-6 made a lot of sense to me on every level.
I saw how patient Keith was on another forum and he seems like a great human being.
Looking forward to my return to vinyl.
You know, I had the same impression. I was curious about the Darlington phono stages, and emailed Keith a long list of questions about them....on a Sunday. He answered every question - that same day.

I think we'd all agree that as busy as he is, Keith needs a break! But...he answered on a Sunday. That alone, will result in customer loyalty.

I can't wait to receive my MP7B....with the upgraded jacks....in all black. I'll wait my turn! But even then, I'll wait for the month-long break-in period, to hear it really sing.

So Middle Earth - welcome! All of us new members are finding great information and great people here at Needles and Grooves! Thanks everyone, for a stellar forum!

Have nothing but amazing things to say about Keith and DL wares. I've had first hand experience with four of their phono preamps. The most recent had to be returned and Keith immediately answered the call. It wasn't their fault, the handshake it was making with my VPI was not as quiet as even he would have liked.

Wish the 8B was available at that time, but alas I found a replacement im happy with in my 20/20. Have a feeling I'll be back at some point because there's too many good things happening at DL HQ to possibly ignore.

For now, I've treated the upgrade bug with an extended release tranquilizer. 😁

The Darlington MP7B arrived today, and I am blown away! Here are my first impressions, and please realize, I am not an audio expert like many of you. Just a life-long musician who loves music.

First of all, the Darlington is beautiful. I bought the all-black edition, and it is gorgeous, with a solid heft that communicates quality. I got the ramped-up jacks, and they look strong, purposeful and ready for anything. Good match for the Blue Jean cables.

I have a Thorens TD 403 DD with Ortofon 2M Blue on order....but it's not here yet!

In the meantime I'm using a Thorens TD-402 DD with an AT VM95ML, into the Darlington MP7B, then into my Marantz SR7013, and out to my 30-year old Klipsch towers, and two subs. Up to now, I had been using the Moon Audio 110LP V2 phono stage, which is excellent - but to my ears? The Darlington hits a whole new bar.

The music is phenomenal! My test disc is Dua Lipa's 'Future Nostalgia,' which was mastered with kick-ass love by Sterling Sound. I have heard that record a hundred times - but with the Darlington, it's like the first time.

The bass hits deep and hard with pure musicality, the mids are tight and fun, the highs - with no break in yet - are sparkling...and the soundstage is huge. And the clarity! The tracks on the disc have a lot going on, but it's so clear! You can isolate whatever you want and follow it. And again, the bass! That disco, rapid-fire bass has never sounded better, to me.

Again, no break-in yet. But I'll follow the instructions, and leave it on for a month. The manual says the big sweeping changes should happen between day 3 and 7....with more subtle changes after that.

But again, even before that - this enthusiast feels he made the absolute best decision, considering my gear, my budget, my ears, and my love of music.

I can only imagine how good it would sound with the gear many of you have!

PXL_20240213_205507258.jpgPXL_20240213_205912244.jpgPXL_20240213_205945987.jpgPXL_20240213_211940532.jpg

Last edited:
The Darlington MP7B arrived today, and I am blown away! Here are my first impressions, and please realize, I am not an audio expert like many of you. Just a life-long musician who loves music.

First of all, the Darlington is beautiful. I bought the all-black edition, and it is gorgeous, with a solid heft that communicates quality. I got the ramped-up jacks, and they look strong, purposeful and ready for anything. Good match for the Blue Jean cables.

I have a Thorens TD 403 DD with Ortofon 2M Blue on order....but it's not here yet!

In the meantime I'm using a Thorens TD-402 DD with an AT VM95ML, into the Darlington MP7B, then into my Marantz SR7013, and out to my 30-year old Klipsch towers, and two subs. Up to now, I had been using the Moon Audio 110LP V2 phono stage, which is excellent - but to my ears? The Darlington hits a whole new bar.

The music is phenomenal! My test disc is Dua Lipa's 'Future Nostalgia,' which was mastered with kick-ass love by Sterling Studios. I have heard that record a hundred times - but with the Darlington, it's like the first time.

The bass hits deep and hard with pure musicality, the mids are tight and fun, the highs - with no break in yet - are sparkling...and the soundstage is huge. And the clarity! The tracks on the disc have a lot going on, but it's so clear! You can isolate whatever you want and follow it. And again, the bass! That disco, rapid-fire bass has never sounded better, to me.

Again, no break-in yet. But I'll follow the instructions, and leave it on or a month. The manual says the big sweeping changes should happen between day 3 and 7....with more subtle changes after that.

But again, even before that - this enthusiast feels he made the absolute best decision, considering my gear, my budget, my ears, and my love of music.

I can only imagine how good it would sound with the gear many of you have!

View attachment 195225View attachment 195226View attachment 195227View attachment 195228
Wow you're in the Berkshires! My family had a weekend house in Housatonic when I was growing up, I used to be a snowboard instructor at Butternut (if you're familiar). I love that little area of the Northeast. Would love to have a house up there one of these days.

Glad you're enjoying your new upgrade, always a wonderful feeling to bask in.

Wow you're in the Berkshires! My family had a weekend house in Housatonic when I was growing up, I used to be a snowboard instructor at Butternut (if you're familiar). I love that little area of the Northeast. Would love to have a house up there one of these days.

Glad you're enjoying your new upgrade, always a wonderful feeling to bask in.
Hey neighbor! Yes, up in snow country! And Butternut, of course, is legendary up here! Thanks for the hello! And come on back!

Back