The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

I found a preowned PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell for $999 but it's in silver. It's times like this that having slight OCD works against me. All the rest of my equipment is black.

I’m the other way around, all my gear is silver. Depending on where it goes it can sometime be nice to have a contrast but that tends to work better with a beefier piece like a table or a power amp rather than a little pre amp that will sit with the rest of the gear. They do appear semi regular second hand so if silver is a deal breaker you can just hold fire for now.

I found a preowned PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell for $999 but it's in silver. It's times like this that having slight OCD works against me. All the rest of my equipment is black.
I’ve been all black for a long time, but I think I’m going to slowly convert to silver just so the dust doesn’t show constantly.

Things fell into place so I’ve just set my plastic on fire this morning and ordered

It’s porridge or baked beans for me for every meal until the end of the year now 😂
Congrats! Christmas will come early for ya!

What DAC are you using with the streamer?

Also baked beans for every meal doesn’t sound too bad!

Congrats! Christmas will come early for ya!

What DAC are you using with the streamer?

Also baked beans for every meal doesn’t sound too bad!

I know! It’s exciting! Particularly looking forward to the CD player. I spent a bit more than I should for a streaming service endpoint just because it will match its pal the MX-VYNL on the shelf which is ridiculous but there we go…

I’m using the DAC in the PS Audio Stellar GCD that I use as my preamp. Will connect Jays using that HDMI cable using both devices I2S over HDMI and I already have an AQ carbon USB cable that I’ll use to connect the MF streamer to the PS.

Yeah I’m getting the living room decorated too so it was kind of spinning the money together for both in the one pot. All came together this morning! Will probably wait until it’s decorated and the system set back up before I integrate them if they arrive before then.

Last edited:
Only kind of related, but anyone have any recommendations for a good cable internet modem? I'm moving in a couple weeks and have to switch to Comcast/Xfinity for my internet and my equipment won't work on it, but I'm also not about to pay the $25 monthly equipment fee, so I've been looking but not sure which direction to go because it's been a few years since I've researched any of this. Anyone have some advice?

It’s Sod’s Law that your new HDMI cable arrives first and your left with a probably 2 to 3 week wait for the actual gear you’re connecting it with…

Only kind of related, but anyone have any recommendations for a good cable internet modem? I'm moving in a couple weeks and have to switch to Comcast/Xfinity for my internet and my equipment won't work on it, but I'm also not about to pay the $25 monthly equipment fee, so I've been looking but not sure which direction to go because it's been a few years since I've researched any of this. Anyone have some advice?
Your local Comcast/Xfinity provider should have a recommended/compatibility list available on their website that you could check before purchase. That being said, I've had no issues with the Arris Surfboard modems. I've gone through 3 different models over the last decade and they've all been solid.

Back