The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

Do you think an ifi zen can be used in a twin sized bed? I might bit that instead of a hipdac

I ended up ordering a Behringer interface. It’s got two TRS line level inputs, so I should be doubly covered.

Update: the TRS inputs are still monaural, so I've got a dual 1/4" cable coming on Monday.

The Scarlett Solo's going to my baby sister, who's a musician and can make use of it.

Hopefully I'm slotting this into the proper thread..

Got a new pickup today which I'm looking forward too! It's a JVC FS-SD9!

IMG_20200407_165700_962.jpg

IMG_20200407_165700_958.jpg

Currently have it bypassing its internal DAC and going toslink into my Yamaha A-S801, sounds wonderful! This neat little CD player was part of a mini system at one point, so it does have an amplifier jammed in there and originally came with speakers when it was sold in 2003. Surprisingly solid unit, my understanding is that MSRP was little over a grand when it was released, so it's definitely got some quality to it!

This might not be the most "impressive" piece of kit, but i've been wanting a dedicated CD player for way too long now, And it's just great to finally have! Check out a video of the awesome mechanism below.. I just love equipment like this!

Hopefully I'm slotting this into the proper thread..

Got a new pickup today which I'm looking forward too! It's a JVC FS-SD9!

View attachment 40073

View attachment 40074

Currently have it bypassing its internal DAC and going toslink into my Yamaha A-S801, sounds wonderful! This neat little CD player was part of a mini system at one point, so it does have an amplifier jammed in there and originally came with speakers when it was sold in 2003. Surprisingly solid unit, my understanding is that MSRP was little over a grand when it was released, so it's definitely got some quality to it!

This might not be the most "impressive" piece of kit, but i've been wanting a dedicated CD player for way too long now, And it's just great to finally have! Check out a video of the awesome mechanism below.. I just love equipment like this!

theres something mega cool about top loading CD players! Love it! Also that mechanism, smooth!

Just so I know from experts who might not be played off by a brand

Do cables matter?

If you're a chaser of that final 1% of a difference, then yes. If not, Kimber Cable for speakers, Blue Jean's for every other interconnect, and call it a day.
Btw this was specifically about things like usb and HDMI cables
Mostly because I know how firm audioquests grip is (and they make good products like their record brush and the dragonfly). And how much critics seem to care

Mostly because I know how firm audioquests grip is (and they make good products like their record brush and the dragonfly). And how much critics seem to care

like anything it depends on your system. A decent audio oriented cable will suit most applications. When you have a mad expensive system and means chasing that 1% can become an obsession and those mega cable can make a slight difference. With HDMI the only reason to go expensive is if you have to send 4K over a distance greater than 3m when you have to go for an fivfe optic cable rather than wire one and they are $$$$$$

Aah I see, yeah I can't speak from personal experience. But I'm not one to shun audiophiles when they talk about getting expensive USB cables, there is definitely an argument to be mad that expensive USB cables will have a much quite noisefloor than cheaper products, for me it's a non issue and something I most likely couldn't hear in my system. But, if someone's got a 10,000$ system, I'm sure you could hear the difference.

Looking for a top loading player was definitely a fun hunt, lots of cool stuff out there! I think I landed on a good choice 😊

Hahaha I bet! I don’t have the room for one, and I actually quite like my similar vintage Sony sacd that I’ve had from new. I find a CD player to be a handy little gizmo to have in my armoury!

so is the zen dac a good combo for under 200... thats my price and all i need is a USB based one with good features, textured sound, and small enough to fit on my bed (basically the size of a flagship smartphone width wise)

Just so I know from experts who might not be played off by a brand

Do cables matter?
Do cables matter as a sweeping general statement - in my opinion yes. Should you be worrying about them with the gear levels you have been discussing on this forum? No you should not.

Getting specifically into USB and HDMI, I can tell you those also make a difference but not in most systems. I've done some USB cable rolling, and I could clearly pick out differences in each cable. Same for COAX digital cables. But this was in a $40K+ system in a dedicated room. I don't think it would be nearly as obvious in my system, or in most people's systems. So it does make a difference, but is it the difference you should be focused on with the rest of your system? Probably not.

Anybody have any experience with a Keces S3 DAC? I’m still looking for a DAC right now to pair with my Aries Mini and was leaning toward the Marantz HD-DAC1 but also looking at preowned gear in that price range and came across a Keces S3 for a very good price. Maybe I’m just over thinking it though and should go for the HD-DAC1 if I can find one...

Or do I Just spring for a Denafrips Ares 2??

Last edited:
Is Roon worth it? I am considering doing the Lifetime subscription for it. I am on Redacted and needed something to have access to all my files and streaming service in one place.

Is Roon worth it? I am considering doing the Lifetime subscription for it. I am on Redacted and needed something to have access to all my files and streaming service in one place.
I love it. I'm on a 1 year for now though since they raised the lifetime price...I think its more worth it if you have a NUC or some kind of Roon endpoint that you're sending everything to and want to do multi room audio. But overall I'm in the same boat as you--on Redacted and wanted somewhere to organize all my files. I have an Aries Mini with internal harddrive that I drop my FLAC files to. I have a Qobuz subscription as well and both are seamlessly integrated. Could be wrong, but Roon does NOT connect your Spotify or Apple Music, so depends on what your streaming service is. Works with Qobuz and Tidal I believe.

I love it. I'm on a 1 year for now though since they raised the lifetime price...I think its more worth it if you have a NUC or some kind of Roon endpoint that you're sending everything to and want to do multi room audio. But overall I'm in the same boat as you--on Redacted and wanted somewhere to organize all my files. I have an Aries Mini with internal harddrive that I drop my FLAC files to. I have a Qobuz subscription as well and both are seamlessly integrated. Could be wrong, but Roon does NOT connect your Spotify or Apple Music, so depends on what your streaming service is. Works with Qobuz and Tidal I believe.

Yeah you are right, Roon have said somewhere that apple/Spotify/amazon have no need of Roon and so aren’t interested in integration. It is such a great service though and the way it allies my qobuz streaking and files into one library is pretty impressive!

Ayyyy!

RED since the beginning. WHAT before that. WAFFLES before that. OINK was my entry point. Welcome fellow audio person ;)

I have a dedicated seedbox/storage slot that I keep my files on. I use Plex which is cool for storing my movies on and it’s ok for music, but wanted something a little better for the music. I am on Spotify, Apple Music, and recently subscribed to Qobuz for better quality. I was thinking of cancelling the former two streaming services though. I also was trying to figure out how to scrobble Qobuz streams to last.fm and was wondering if that was implemented as well?

Last edited:
Back