The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

my car doesn't have carplay but might look into seeing if it's worth it to swap out our current system for it. i use my phone for GPS + music now so this device wouldn't really make any sense.

just seems like such a limited demographic for an $80 product. it needs the wifi from your phone anyway.

It depends on how long you are keeping your car. Changing out the head unit isn’t cheap by the time you’ve paid for a new head unit/conversion kits and labour. If you’re keeping the car for a good few years yet it may be worth it though, CarPlay is ace, I use it for GPS, Streaming, Internet Radio and Phone Calls and it’s just so seamless!

my car doesn't have carplay but might look into seeing if it's worth it to swap out our current system for it. i use my phone for GPS + music now so this device wouldn't really make any sense.

just seems like such a limited demographic for an $80 product. it needs the wifi from your phone anyway.
I have been intrigued by this thing called Intellidash. Basically it is a removable Carplay unit. My car was the last year before Toyota started making Carplay standard in Ravs but I don't plan on selling anytime soon

I have been intrigued by this thing called Intellidash. Basically it is a removable Carplay unit. My car was the last year before Toyota started making Carplay standard in Ravs but I don't plan on selling anytime soon

Oh funk I was thinking that would be a lot cheaper than that!

That is what is stopping me. I know there is a way to sideload Carplay onto an Android tablet but it doesn't play well with iPhones last time I looked at it

Yeah for that price, and if I was keeping the car for a long time to come, I’d either be thinking of just doing the head unit for proper car play or living without tbh! I think the cheapest head unit I’ve seen was about €400 and with labour and with the car specific conversion bits worked out about €500.

Last edited:
Yeah for that price, and if I was keeping the car for a long time to come, I’d either be thinking of just doing the head unit for proper car play or living without tbh! I think the cheapest head unit I’ve seen was about €400 and with labour and with the car specific conversion bits worked out about €500.
I just have to look into the cost. GPS is the main thing that my wife and I want on a bigger screen than the phone screen. a friend said it cost her around $250 to install a new head unit, but I'm sure it depends on where you get it done + what kind of car ya have.

I just have to look into the cost. GPS is the main thing that my wife and I want on a bigger screen than the phone screen. a friend said it cost her around $250 to install a new head unit, but I'm sure it depends on where you get it done + what kind of car ya have.

Just one that does it’s own nav and has standard music options sounds about right. The ones with CarPlay and android auto tend to be a bit more. Tbh honest I just went to Halfords (chain auto store here) and that was about what they were charging for the unit and the job. In the end my car wasn’t worth €500 at the time so just left it.

Just one that does it’s own nav and has standard music options sounds about right. The ones with CarPlay and android auto tend to be a bit more. Tbh honest I just went to Halfords (chain auto store here) and that was about what they were charging for the unit and the job. In the end my car wasn’t worth €500 at the time so just left it.
i bought a 2011 BMW X3 off my brother for a really good price so we've just been trying to decide what's worth upgrading. i don't see us getting a new car anytime soon but who knows really....it's an older car now even though its in great shape.

i bought a 2011 BMW X3 off my brother for a really good price so we've just been trying to decide what's worth upgrading. i don't see us getting a new car anytime soon but who knows really....it's an older car now even though its in great shape.

Yeah that’s a quality motor alright! I was only driving an 05 Corsa till it went up in a puff of smoke a month and a half ago! I decided that after 12 years I was allowed to splurge on a brand new car so that’s why I have CarPlay now and it’s still a wonderful novelty as opposed to phone through an FM transmitter 😂

Yeah that’s a quality motor alright! I was only driving an 05 Corsa till it went up in a puff of smoke a month and a half ago! I decided that after 12 years I was allowed to splurge on a brand new car so that’s why I have CarPlay now and it’s still a wonderful novelty as opposed to phone through an FM transmitter 😂
I had some crazy FM transmitter when the ipods were pretty new and i wanted to listen to music in my parents car. i just remember it had a little switch to change between three FM settings and you'd have to swap it if you were driving through somewhere that had something broadcasting on that channel. how far we've come haha

Just cancelled Qobuz and I’ll be cancelling Roon come July. Both are utterly fantastic. I just wasn’t using them anywhere near enough to justify the outlay. Currently on Apple Music, because I’m getting a deal with the cloud and tv etc, while i decide what to do next.

Back