The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

Upscale and other places might still have some Node 2i's, stores were discounting them $100 off recently with a new model coming out.
Looks like they have “open box” ish ones available for about $100 off on their actual site as well. Going to post up some albums for sale later to help fund the investment, it will probs be end of summer when I’d be naturally be able to save up enough for it!

Anyone got any experience with KEF LSX's? Considering using them as a sound system/TV sound for a 6.2mx3.4m room, which I can maybe plug a turntable to through the AUX (via a phono stage). Looking for them as an alternative to a soundbar, especially as they will be better sounding for music. Ideally, I'm looking for as few boxes as possible, so they win out over a Powernode and speakers (cheaper too). Thinking this will work as a good second system, and I'll move the main one into a bigger room in the back.

About to finish a long awaited house renovation. Never had a TV in my "music room" with my vinyl set up. Currently use the Raspberry Pi hat as my DAC which is sufficient. Thinking about upgrading my DAC while also adding the TV audio upgrade to my B&W 606 I currently use for vinyl. I'm on the fence with a lot of stand alone DAC such as Denefrips Ares 2 which for music gets a lot of positive reviews for music but has latency on video.
I do have a 5.1 movie room on the same level so this wouldn't be my go to movie experience but I do love watching sports while jamming out especially on NFL Sundays.
Eying up the Cambridge CXN V2, wondering how that would work for a DAC for video? Also assuming the built in DAC should blow my Raspberry Pi set up away? I understand average listening perception might not notice a huge difference but in general. Anyone with experience on the jump from a hat to the CXN V2? Open to suggestions also for other DAC in this situation.
Secondary question: If I ripped my FLAC with EAC onto flash drive and also using Spotify Connect those album art would show on the display correct? (covering expectations)

Edit: Current plan is only stereo audio in that room off TV. I obviously can't listen to music and TV audio at the same time but flexibility is key here. Straight from TV audio sucks but at the same time this is more chill music over all with visuals but.......

Last edited:
Eying up the Cambridge CXN V2, wondering how that would work for a DAC for video? Also assuming the built in DAC should blow my Raspberry Pi set up away? I understand average listening perception might not notice a huge difference but in general. Anyone with experience on the jump from a hat to the CXN V2? Open to suggestions also for other DAC in this situation.
Secondary question: If I ripped my FLAC with EAC onto flash drive and also using Spotify Connect those album art would show on the display correct? (covering expectations)

Edit: Current plan is only stereo audio in that room off TV. I obviously can't listen to music and TV audio at the same time but flexibility is key here. Straight from TV audio sucks but at the same time this is more chill music over all with visuals but.......

We ran our TV through a Naim Atom all-in-one for a while, was a clear sound upgrade from our previous no name AV amp. But if you want to stick with Cambridge, they also have their EVO range. Along with the DAC you get plenty of other capabilities, but it all depends on how far you want to go.

Hey guys, I have a digital music question. So I have a decent Atmos system in my basement, I'm not going to bother putting a TT disc there because it won't beat the main system and all my vinyl is upstairs, so I'm thinking either a SACD player or a hi res audio system. There is not much space for gear in the media console so I can't add anything too large. I don't mind high res streaming but I'm a little reticent to deal with searching out high res file transfers to download. I want this system to be easy. So I was leaning towards just grabbing a SACD player. Does this make sense? I feel like SACDs are kinda making a comeback? I like owning the actual physical media as well. The other question is in order to get the most out of a SACD setup do I need an external DAC? I figure with the 7.1 system down there I can take advantage of the 5.1 SACD mixes.

Thanks for any info ya'll can provide.

Cheers

EDIT- Looking at a ARCAM CDS50 as a potential SACD/streaming option.

Last edited:
raw

1628615906036.png

Nightcash here, if it was me, I would invest in a Bluesound Node for high res streaming then a dac. That would be a system to compliment your vinyl rig and also where it all is going tbh.

Hey guys, I have a digital music question. So I have a decent Atmos system in my basement, I'm not going to bother putting a TT disc there because it won't beat the main system and all my vinyl is upstairs, so I'm thinking either a SACD player or a hi res audio system. There is not much space for gear in the media console so I can't add anything too large. I don't mind high res streaming but I'm a little reticent to deal with searching out high res file transfers to download. I want this system to be easy. So I was leaning towards just grabbing a SACD player. Does this make sense? I feel like SACDs are kinda making a comeback? I like owning the actual physical media as well. The other question is in order to get the most out of a SACD setup do I need an external DAC? I figure with the 7.1 system down there I can take advantage of the 5.1 SACD mixes.

Thanks for any info ya'll can provide.

Cheers

EDIT- Looking at a ARCAM CDS50 as a potential SACD/streaming option.

SACDs are kind of at a plateau that they've been at for a while. I’ve dabbled on off for almost 20 years because I inadvertently got a SACD player as a psrt of the hifi I got for my 21st.

Since they died as a mainstream prospect about 2005 they've been at a place that they kinda remain today. They’re big in Japan and with audiophiles (especially classical and jazz} and so although they can sound great they’re expensive. There is also the wormhole of what was actually recorded in DSD (or natively tape transferred in DSD) and what is actually rather a Hi Res PCM file in an SACD container.

If it was me, as much as I like some of the SACDs I still have,its not an area I’d get into for a secondary collection. It’ll will cost Vinyl type money per copy, you have to store them in addition to your vinyl and you‘re potentially doubling your spend if you already own a vinyl copy. If i was on a CD journey or starting afresh perhaps I’d go there as a wider niche part of the CD collection(a bit like a MoFi or AP for CDs) or entirely from the outset.

In your shoes I’d personnally chose to bypass physical digital entirely and focus on a really nice streamer and get a subscription to Tidal and/or Qobuz and forget SACDs or an SACD player but YMMV.

Last edited:
SACDs are kind of at a plateau that they've been at for a while. I’ve dabbled on off for almost 20 years because I inadvertently got a SACD system as a psrt of the hifi I got for my 21st.

Since they died as a mainstream prospect about 2005 they've been at a place that they kinda remain today. They’re big in Japan and with audiophiles (especially classical and jazz} and so although they can sound great they’re expensive. There is also the wormhole of what was actually recorded in DSD (or natively tape transferred in DSD) and what is actually rather a Hi Res PCM file in an SACD container.

If it was me, as much as I like some of the SACDs I still have,its not an area I’d get into for a secondary collection. It’ll will cost Vinyl type money per copy, you have to store them in addition to your vinyl and you‘re potentially doubling your spend if you already own a vinyl copy. If i was on a CD journey or starting afresh perhaps I’d go there as a part of the CD collection or entirely from the outset.

In your shoes I’d personnally chose to bypass physical digital entirely and focus on a really nice streamer and get a subscription to Tidal and/or Qobuz and forget SCDs or an SACD player but YMMV.
Okay so this Arcam can also stream, but it would be connected via wifi not Ethernet. It's got a 32 bit DAC onboard and it appears it streams through the "Music Life" app. So I think I can get the best of both worlds with just this single player? Do I need anything beyond this and a subscription to a high res music service for high res streaming?

What @Joe Mac said. I will leave the SACD vs CD discussion to others, but as Joe says, that will cut into your vinyl purchasing.

Going the streamer (Bluesound Node is just one of a few) route is a great option. Go with something that you can plug an ethernet cable into for stability.

Okay so this Arcam can also stream, but it would be connected via wifi not Ethernet. It's got a 32 bit DAC onboard and it appears it streams through the "Music Life" app. So I think I can get the best of both worlds with just this single player? Do I need anything beyond this for high res streaming?

Does it natively support Qobuz and Tdial Connect? If so you’re probably golden. Roon Ready is also alway a feature I’d look for on a streamer too, it’s a useful tool. I’d be tempted myself to research just a streamer at the same price point (money will have gone on the drive and SACD licence etc which could solely go onto the streamer).

I stream hi res over WiFi. If you have a strong enough signsl to Netflix in HD or UHD you’ve a strong enough signal to stream in Hi Res.

What @Joe Mac said. I will leave the SACD vs CD discussion to others, but as Joe says, that will cut into your vinyl purchasing.

Going the streamer (Bluesound Node is just one of a few) route is a great option. Go with something that you can plug an ethernet cable into for stability.
I also third this. Go streamer + Qobuz/Tidal. And I agree with @Joe Mac --I'd consider finding something that is Roon Ready if you want to go down that route. I'm very happy that I went with something that was Roon Ready but also allowed for an external DAC if i wanted to upgrade it later. I have a NUC now since I have a lot of downloaded music to combine with my streaming library. My NUC is up in my office connected to ethernet but my main listening area is downstairs in our living room using WiFi and I don't have any issues.

Does it natively support Qobuz and Tdial Connect? If so you’re probably golden. Roon Ready is also alway a feature I’d look for on a streamer too, it’s a useful tool. I’d be tempted myself to research just a streamer at the same price point (money will have gone on the drive and SACD licence etc which could solely go onto the streamer).

I stream hi res over WiFi. If you have a strong enough signsl to Netflix in HD or UHD you’ve a strong enough signal to stream in Hi Res.
So it "streams through the Arcam Music Life App" which supports Qobuz and Tidal etc. So I'm assuming that's "native support"? Basically run the whole thing through my phone I guess? In terms of selecting music etc...

Yes go Roon Ready. Yet another rabbit hole to tumble down. You don't have to sign up to Roon, but having the option down the road is pure organization OCD heaven

Yeah its definitely not required at the beginning of the digital journey but its a great tool to have potentially available to you down the line you grow in to files or a second streaming company on top of your initial one.

So it "streams through the Arcam Music Life App" which supports Qobuz and Tidal etc. So I'm assuming that's "native support"? Basically run the whole thing through my phone I guess? In terms of selecting music etc...
Not familiar with Arcam app but it probably works similar to the Bluesound and Roon apps in that it hands off the stream directly to the streamer via wifi or ethernet. The controller (your phone or tablet or a computer with the software on it) just acts like a remote control.

Youll likely have to control both through the arcam app then, rather than the tidal or Qobuz one, which can be a little clunky but is doable for sure. If it specifically says Tidal Connect rather than supports Tidal that let’s you control using the Tidal app and it then stream natively on the streamer itself. I don’t know how highly regarded Arcam Music Life is as software though, some of the hifi makers own efforts are a hot mess which is why I’d tend to look for tidal connect or roon support and use them instead.

Back