The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

hey what app do you use to play music on your phone.. my phone is pretty much a DAP (the LG V35 has a quadcore DAC) and thus i wanna get the best sound i can. USB audio player Pro seems to be very well respected but also i dunno if it will really make much a difference with a headphone jack (but that tidal integration though), i hear good stuff about neutron and poweramp too

hey what app do you use to play music on your phone.. my phone is pretty much a DAP (the LG V35 has a quadcore DAC) and thus i wanna get the best sound i can. USB audio player Pro seems to be very well respected but also i dunno if it will really make much a difference with a headphone jack (but that tidal integration though), i hear good stuff about neutron and poweramp too
I use VLC for my music library (converted to ~100 kbit Opus for the phone). For Qobuz, I just use their app.

I use VLC for my music library (converted to ~100 kbit Opus for the phone). For Qobuz, I just use their app.
i actually have a big SD card at 256GB so i have my whole lossless library on it so i am hoping to see what is the best player for my LG (the LG app is fine though the organization is not amazing as its based on alphabet instead of based on the artists name and chronology).. so i hear some good stuff about VLC, foobar2000, Universal Audio Player Pro, Poweramp, and Neutron

i actually have a big SD card at 256GB so i have my whole lossless library on it so i am hoping to see what is the best player for my LG (the LG app is fine though the organization is not amazing as its based on alphabet instead of based on the artists name and chronology).. so i hear some good stuff about VLC, foobar2000, Universal Audio Player Pro, Poweramp, and Neutron
If you're particular about your organization, then one of VLC's nice features is its directory browser. Some other players also have that, like Mango Player on my iBasso. That's especially good for my classical collection, where I prefer composer->piece->performance instead of album artist->album.

Got the NUC set up and this thing is pretty rad. Took a little time to properly set up but wasn’t too difficult at all. It’s way smaller than I thought it would be and Roon works seamlessly. glad I finally pulled the trigger on it!

Think I might have to go that route. Been having issues with the size of my collection stutter a bit if I am doing some else that requires a bit of heavy processing on the iMac. I have an old 2012 Mac Mini sitting in the closet, wonder if that would work?

Think I might have to go that route. Been having issues with the size of my collection stutter a bit if I am doing some else that requires a bit of heavy processing on the iMac. I have an old 2012 Mac Mini sitting in the closet, wonder if that would work?

It would but it’s not as seemless in the same way because you are running Roon core on a computer with its own os (MacOS in your case) so it can’t be run completely headless because you will have to check in on it from time to time with a keyboard mouse and screen to do updates etc.

With a NUC you can install roons own os (ROCK) on it and it runs entirely headlessly as a device as such. Mine sits on top of the bookcase in the hall and just goes about it’s business and updates itself.

Could potentially work. The nice thing about the NUC is I set it up as I think @Joe Mac suggested using the Roon OS so I don’t have to worry about ever really needing to hook a monitor up ever again past the initial set up. Seems I can update and everything from the web interface on any other computer from now on. I’m sure you could just set it up on the Mac mini though as long as it has enough RAM!

Got the NUC set up and this thing is pretty rad. Took a little time to properly set up but wasn’t too difficult at all. It’s way smaller than I thought it would be and Roon works seamlessly. glad I finally pulled the trigger on it!
Isn’t it great? Been really seamless and set and forget for me. Most i’ve had to do is restart it when my power goes out like once or twice.

Could potentially work. The nice thing about the NUC is I set it up as I think @Joe Mac suggested using the Roon OS so I don’t have to worry about ever really needing to hook a monitor up ever again past the initial set up. Seems I can update and everything from the web interface on any other computer from now on. I’m sure you could just set it up on the Mac mini though as long as it has enough RAM!

Yeah it’s much more like a budget DIY option for a nucleus than comparable to installing it on another computer.

Hey !

i currently preview my vinyl purchases via spotify playing on my phone thats connected to my NAD amp via the mediaplayer thing on the front. id like to change that..

ill have a raspberry pi 3 available agan next month from another project. im looking to get a DAC for it so i can connect it to my amp and stream spotify from the Pi through one of my amps channels.

questions:
- what DACs should i be looking at ?
- what software should i run ?

cheers

Hey !

i currently preview my vinyl purchases via spotify playing on my phone thats connected to my NAD amp via the mediaplayer thing on the front. id like to change that..

ill have a raspberry pi 3 available agan next month from another project. im looking to get a DAC for it so i can connect it to my amp and stream spotify from the Pi through one of my amps channels.

questions:
- what DACs should i be looking at ?
- what software should i run ?

cheers

I have a spare hifiberry dac hat and case if you want it? Is lying in a drawer here. Is this one and it’s a clear acrylic case.

It’s yours if you want it. Call it a PIF. The only thing I don’t have is the stand offs to go between the board and dac, but you should be able to get 4 online easy enough.

Volumio is the best software I’ve found.

I have a spare hifiberry dac hat and case if you want it? Is lying in a drawer here. Is this one and it’s a clear acrylic case.

It’s yours if you want it. Call it a PIF. The only thing I don’t have is the stand offs to go between the board and dac, but you should be able to get 4 online easy enough.

Volumio is the best software I’ve found.

thanks, appreciate it , ill hit you up via pm once i make up my mind . shipping on that cant be much more than a letter i guess.

USB Audio Player Pro is a great app and worth the 8-11 bucks (only microtransaction is if you buy MQA decoding) to buy on the google play store, but the issue is that tidal streaming on it (one of the 2 reasons i bought it, the other being that the audio driver is bit perfect and sounds better than the stock apps) is so glitchy and irritating, the UI is a bit annoying if only because the search button is on the bottom but the main issue is just that it has seeking issues and stops playing music for no reason but still says its playing, then skips to the next song, then 2 seconds later the next song. thats the worst case scenario thats happened a few times, the more common thing is the music just pauses because it had trouble getting the music and has decoding errors on MQA or non MQA albums (im using an LGV35, it has built in MQA decoding and rendering) so it just doesn't play the song.

i emailed tech support to see if they can patch out or fix the problem and they kept saying it was my internet connection (no because audirvana on my PC AND the stock tidal app work perfectly) or because i didn't have it as a power savings exclusion (again.. no)

Is it an older house? Telephone wire possibly? Hard guess size/gauge but might be thicker than what I'm used seeing for it.

Back