The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

I have a Roon question!

So I literally only discovered this whole system in the last week - what started as wanting to add a CD player to my vinyl setup has taken a distinct left turn, am already thinking about how I can find the $A2000 for the Cambridge CXN!

With the Roon core - are there any NAS units you could attach directly to your Router that could/will run Roon? Wondering if there's a way I could build the core without needing a dedicated laptop etc. I have an old crappy Macbook Pro, another old crappy MacBook air, a VERY old crappy MacBook mini (I'm talking about 2008!) so i feel they would all be very clunky to run a Roon core. My nice Mac is my locked down work Mac so forget that...

Then I need to work out how the hell I will rip these CDs - would those old Macs be up to the job of ripping 500 CDs into gorgeous high-res FLAC files???
It might be easier to get a Qobuz or Tidal sub and then go through your cd collection to see if there is anything missing from the streaming service. That way you only have to rip hopefully a few missing cds.

I have a Roon question!

So I literally only discovered this whole system in the last week - what started as wanting to add a CD player to my vinyl setup has taken a distinct left turn, am already thinking about how I can find the $A2000 for the Cambridge CXN!

With the Roon core - are there any NAS units you could attach directly to your Router that could/will run Roon? Wondering if there's a way I could build the core without needing a dedicated laptop etc. I have an old crappy Macbook Pro, another old crappy MacBook air, a VERY old crappy MacBook mini (I'm talking about 2008!) so i feel they would all be very clunky to run a Roon core. My nice Mac is my locked down work Mac so forget that...

Then I need to work out how the hell I will rip these CDs - would those old Macs be up to the job of ripping 500 CDs into gorgeous high-res FLAC files???

Roon recommends something wild to run the core if you want to get a NAS to do it but for 500 cds you could probably get away with something like moderately pricy instead.

Unless you want the NAS for other uses is it not cheaper to build an entry level i3 NUC with an external HD for storage. Then get rock for free as the OS. I've got 700 albums on a 1gb external ssd and it works a treat. Also all my ripping was done on a 15 year old dell laptop and it worked fine. Did it in 20 days to so didn't have to stump up for dB power amp.

I have a Roon question!

Others have answered the Roon question. As for ripping CDs, I bought a $30 external CD drive and it does the job! I use XLD but everyone seems to like dbPoweramp a lot too.

Such excellent advice all - thanks you so much!

If you want to have a headless always on Roon core the better option are to use Roon ROCK software on an intel NUC with an internal hard drive for file storage (I did this and highly recommend it) or If you have the money get a Roon nucleus. My NUC sits on top of a bookcase in my hallway attached directly to the router and just does it’s job wonderfully and without fuss.

So you're all saying you just need the i3 NUC and then connect to that via a bluetooth keyboard/mouse when needed but mostly use the app?

@Joe Mac - what specs do you have for the i3? Been trying to price one of these things down here and i basically need to build the thing to work it out...

So you're all saying you just need the i3 NUC and then connect to that via a bluetooth keyboard/mouse when needed but mostly use the app?

@Joe Mac - what specs do you have for the i3? Been trying to price one of these things down here and i basically need to build the thing to work it out...
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but once you set up Roon on the NUC, you should hardly ever need to use a keyboard or mouse for it. I would set it up to be shared so I could just drop any downloaded music files/CD rips onto it via my computer. Then you can control all playback, library searching, etc via your smart phone or an iPad with the Roon app.

The NUC is headless. It’s a server. You have it connected to a keyboard and mouse and tv to set it up but after that it’s connected to your router by Ethernet and has none of them.

You can control it for playing music by the Roon app and you can access it as a network drive on your existing computer to copy and paste files over to.

An i3 is plenty unless you’re having lots of huge files, like DSD, and a large number of multi room players on the go. You’ll also need a small m2 SSD for the os, 8GB of the appropriate RAM for the NUC and the storage size of 2.5” spinning HDD that suits the size of your library best.

I am currently using an i5, it’s the NUC7i5BNH

Intel NUC7i5BNH Tall Baby Canyon Thunderbolt3 Barebone Kit - Black Intel NUC7i5BNH Tall Baby Canyon Thunderbolt3 Barebone Kit - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

im using 8GB of this RAM

Crucial CT8G4SFS824A 8 GB (DDR4,... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BIWKP58?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

One of these SSDs for the os

TCSUNBOW M.2 SATAIII NGFF32 GB... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078H763FF?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

And this HHD for the the files

Seagate FireCuda ST2000LX001... Seagate FireCuda 2 TB Solid State Hybrid Drive Performance SSHD – 2.5 Inch SATA 6 Gb/s Flash Accelerated for Gaming PC Laptop - Frustration Free Packaging (ST2000LXZ01): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Edit: You’ll also need a little usb flash drive to use as an installer to flash your NUC.

So long as you have a usb keyboard and mouse and a hdmi to connect it to your tele for set up you’re golde

There is a comprehensive set up guide on Roon in the rock section where you can also download the necessary software for free.

Last edited:
@Joe Mac Thanks again mate - i now completely understand the system. Wasn't aware we are talking a standalone Roon OS on the device. So couldn't use this as a multimedia server for movies & TV shows as well if I go down this route (which is completely fine in this streaming age).

Really appreciate you taking the time to spell it all out and explain it in detail - am building my Amazon wish list with it all. Legend!

Love this place!

@Joe Mac Thanks again mate - i now completely understand the system. Wasn't aware we are talking a standalone Roon OS on the device. So couldn't use this as a multimedia server for movies & TV shows as well if I go down this route (which is completely fine in this streaming age).

Really appreciate you taking the time to spell it all out and explain it in detail - am building my Amazon wish list with it all. Legend!

Love this place!

When I looked at this the other option I considered was buying a ready made from ebay with Windows installed. You could then set windows to switch on without a password and auto-run Roon. I suppose in theory (although someone can correct me here) you would be able to also have plex installed on the same unit so you would have separate roon and media servers. For me I would never have used the video element though so it was more straightforward to just build up the NUC and stick a free copy of ROCK on it and it seemed a bit of a dickaround when I needed it to run headless.

And people get giddy for the nucleus but i couldn't tell, apart from the funky case and silent fan, what the difference was between the £1099 i£ nucleus and the £350 job I put together myself by picking up ebay and amazon warehouse bargains. The i7 is an obscene price for what is essentially a processor, SSD and fancy case.

Does the CXN have MQA? if not that could push you down the Qobuz route rather than Tidal (although no MQA is probably something that 50% of the self confessed hardcore music mentalists living in various chat forums would say was a good thing). Something to bear in mind though if, for example, you're getting a tidal sub for £5 via TMR.

Once you get a NUC or PC with Windows or Linux, there's probably nothing stopping you from installing both Roon Server and a video streaming server on it. My only concern would be if there isn't enough CPU or memory to go around. If that's the case, just stop one of the servers and buy another NUC, so no harm done.
I guess there's also a slight chance they would both want the same "port" number, but there's a 1/65000 chance of that, so pretty unlikely.

Hi all -- Do I need a particular external drive to rip SACDs? I've got a few (many?) that I can't seem to find high res versions for on any streaming platform or for purchase and it's probably the primary driver of my keeping the older Oppo player outside of nostalgia -- but I also have a memory of people having to go through hoops with a PS3, etc to get them ripped. I've done the Google and it seems like you can rip an ISO now and capture the DSD layer or high res to FLAC but I can't get specifics on drive requirements/ external and if the security layer is still an issue? (Not, my objective isn't the Redbook layer, also, home system crashed, bought a new all in one and now need an external, but might not get one if I can't solve the SACD problem etc etc.)

Thanks all -- I really did try to research this one :)

Hi all -- Do I need a particular external drive to rip SACDs? I've got a few (many?) that I can't seem to find high res versions for on any streaming platform or for purchase and it's probably the primary driver of my keeping the older Oppo player outside of nostalgia -- but I also have a memory of people having to go through hoops with a PS3, etc to get them ripped. I've done the Google and it seems like you can rip an ISO now and capture the DSD layer or high res to FLAC but I can't get specifics on drive requirements/ external and if the security layer is still an issue? (Not, my objective isn't the Redbook layer, also, home system crashed, bought a new all in one and now need an external, but might not get one if I can't solve the SACD problem etc etc.)

Thanks all -- I really did try to research this one :)

Ripping sacds is a nightmare that’s really involved using certain blu-ray players and special codecs that will allow you to pull the files onto a usb drive and then a programme on a computer to convert them into individual track DSD files. I decided it was more hassle than it’s worth but if you google you will find threads on it. If it’s a hybrid you can of course rip the 16/44 CD layer with any old CD drive.

Ripping sacds is a nightmare that’s really involved using certain blu-ray players and special codecs that will allow you to pull the files onto a usb drive and then a programme on a computer to convert them into individual track DSD files. I decided it was more hassle than it’s worth but if you google you will find threads on it. If it’s a hybrid you can of course rip the 16/44 CD layer with any old CD drive.
Thanks. Looks like the Oppo is staying in the mix then... Appreciate it

Thanks. Looks like the Oppo is staying in the mix then... Appreciate it

One of the oppos is one of the drives that can do it, I’m not sure if it’s yours though. I gave up at the thought of having to buy a whole new blu-ray player to do it and the fact it involved a few steps and seemed, to me, to be more hassle than it’s worth.

Must be Sunday Rip day, I just finished ripping a bunch of CDs that aren't going to be kept.........adding the digital aspect is streamlining my collection and "buying/wanting process". :)

Does the CXN have MQA?
It does not, but I can tell you I've never once missed it. I haven't run into anything on Tidal that is MQA exclusive that wouldn't play just using the normal hifi quality version. I'm not saying MQA doesn't do anything, but it doesn't do enough for me that I feel the need for it to dictate my equipment purchases.

Must be Sunday Rip day, I just finished ripping a bunch of CDs that aren't going to be kept.........adding the digital aspect is streamlining my collection and "buying/wanting process". :)
I interestingly find that it hasn't curbed my vinyl spending too much. But I also am almost always listening to music. If I'm in my office area, I'm typically listening to records, if I'm cooking or in the living room, I'm using my digital streaming set up with Roon/Aries/DAC. I love having both setups but I still like the hunt for records and the ritual of spinning records.

I love having both setups but I still like the hunt for records and the ritual of spinning records.
Oh, don't get me wrong, this is still by far my favorite part, and bulk, of my hobby enjoyment. I guess maybe I should clarify a bit, I've found that some music I have on CD I enjoy, but don't need a physical copy, those are the ones I've ripped. And by "streamlining" my process its more that now, I can pick up my grails on CD for next to nothing and have a physical copy until I can find and or save for the pressing I'm looking for.

I'm pretty much in the same status as you, music is playing virtually all day one way or another, vinyl is still by far the most, as working from home and my desk being in the same room has given me that luxury............and I get to get up and stretch my legs every 15-20 minutes ;)

As for the buying wants, streaming was 90% put into place for sampling albums, artists and so on, while I'm sure that I'll still roll the dice on an album while I'm out and about if I see it, it does help in regards to "I like it, but not enough to spend the money on the LP"

Oh, don't get me wrong, this is still by far my favorite part, and bulk, of my hobby enjoyment. I guess maybe I should clarify a bit, I've found that some music I have on CD I enjoy, but don't need a physical copy, those are the ones I've ripped. And by "streamlining" my process its more that now, I can pick up my grails on CD for next to nothing and have a physical copy until I can find and or save for the pressing I'm looking for.

I'm pretty much in the same status as you, music is playing virtually all day one way or another, vinyl is still by far the most, as working from home and my desk being in the same room has given me that luxury............and I get to get up and stretch my legs every 15-20 minutes ;)

As for the buying wants, streaming was 90% put into place for sampling albums, artists and so on, while I'm sure that I'll still roll the dice on an album while I'm out and about if I see it, it does help in regards to "I like it, but not enough to spend the money on the LP"
I go through phases of being fine with streaming instead of buying vinyl and then sometimes I just like looking on eBay and discogs for deals or learning about different labels/pressings to upgrade. I’ve been on a MoFi kick lately which is dangerous hah.

i am very glad to have the streaming setup though. I think it will be even more useful if/when we buy a house because I’ll be able to set things up how I’d ideally want them and could have more of a dedicated set up in one room. Right now I have my better vinyl rig in my office area near my computer but my better digital setup is in my living room. I can still stream in my office but it uses the DAC in my Rotel which doesn’t sound as nice as the Singxer.

to be honest i never have understood the appeal of having a DAP..

probably because i always picked phones with good sound quality (HTC One M8, LGV35), but i never seen a reason to carry 2 devices with me, one for youtube, texts, and other android apps that aren't explicitely tidal or spotify, and one just for my music and streaming services

Back