The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

On the second, you’re an adult. I live in the suberbs about half an hour drive from the local hifi store, I can get here easily on my own without my car.
looks like i have to learn how to drive so i can actually drive there

You don’t cycle or walk or use public transport? Unless I’m buying something bulky or heavy I’d get the tram/bus to them.
nope (too long and traumatic), nope (too long), and nope (only thing available is uber and that expensive)

sorry this is not that related

should we go into DM

Last edited:
I think this shows a major difference between USA and UK. The American public transportation system is shit. Here in Boston, the bus is called the "Loser Cruiser," and I think that might be generous. Now consider that Boston has one of the better public transportation systems in America, and you might see why we can't rely on a tram.
As for cycling, do a Google search for "ghost bike memorial" and see why that's a monumentally bad idea (literally).

@duke86fan, I hate to say it, but a driving license is pretty essential in our country. I don't know if you have Zipcar or a similar car sharing system in your area, but that might be a viable alternative to buying a car. Failing that, you might look for a used car. The older the car, the cheaper the purchase price, but the more expensive the maintenance. Also, talk to an insurance company first, because car insurance is an ongoing expense, and you want to make sure they don't screw you over (ask me about the used Corvette dealerships in Frankfurt for the ultimate example of insurance companies screwing people over).

@duke86fan, I hate to say it, but a driving license is pretty essential in our country. I don't know if you have Zipcar or a similar car sharing system in your area, but that might be a viable alternative to buying a car. Failing that, you might look for a used car. The older the car, the cheaper the purchase price, but the more expensive the maintenance. Also, talk to an insurance company first, because car insurance is an ongoing expense, and you want to make sure they don't screw you over (ask me about the used Corvette dealerships in Frankfurt for the ultimate example of insurance companies screwing people over).
look i'm too scared to drive because i can crash easily, i might go too fast by accident because managing the gas is impossible unless its like 5 miles an hour, and its a step in responsibility i am not ready for since doing all this is pretty scary

I do plan to learn to drive soon though

Last edited:
look i'm too scared to drive because i can crash easily, i might go too fast by accident because managing the gas is impossible unless its like 5 miles an hour, and its a step in responsibility i am not ready for since doing all this is pretty scary

I do plan to learn to drive soon though
Have some patience, take it slow, and you'll catch on much faster than you think. As long as you have a good teacher, you'll do great!

question.. do any of you use replaygain? it could be why i was having hearing issues

(btw i do know that DACs make a difference, i noticed that bass and drums were a lot softer and more nuanced on my USB DAC even though i find it hard to notice it with lossless vs lossy)

Last edited:
I just had to look that up (shows how old I am, I guess). Replaygain sounds to me like something to turn off. I'm sure it would be great for a jukebox or something where the owner just wants to set the desired loudness and forget about it while he serves drinks to the customers. Since you're sitting right in front of your computer, it should be easy enough to reach for the volume control if a song seems louder or quieter than its predecessor.

I look at it as another component that might mess up audio quality.

By the way, does your DAC have its own volume control, or does it rely on your laptop's volume? If it has its own, you can probably get a little more dynamic range by maxing out the laptop's volume and using the DAC's volume knob.

I just had to look that up (shows how old I am, I guess). Replaygain sounds to me like something to turn off. I'm sure it would be great for a jukebox or something where the owner just wants to set the desired loudness and forget about it while he serves drinks to the customers. Since you're sitting right in front of your computer, it should be easy enough to reach for the volume control if a song seems louder or quieter than its predecessor.

I look at it as another component that might mess up audio quality.

By the way, does your DAC have its own volume control, or does it rely on your laptop's volume? If it has its own, you can probably get a little more dynamic range by maxing out the laptop's volume and using the DAC's volume knob.
my DAC does have volume control.. thats what i have already been doing... but i hate that some music sounds SO MUCH LOUDER than another and that leads to it being a frustration.. basically loudness war complaints (i mean i wrote a english 101 essay on the loudness war)

Well, she's here, can't wait to get it set up ;)
View attachment 51270
Awesome! I was SO close to going for that DAC for awhile when it was on massive sale due to it being discontinued but ended up waiting too long. Then I ended up going in a different direction but this DAC has gotten a lot of love from people I know. Let us know how it sounds!

Couple of questions Digital Druids:

1) I've got a QNAP NAS which has all my files on it. I can push files from it to my Chromecast Audio connected to my amp via the QNAP music app, or via the VLC app. Neither of them are ideal though: I can get the QNAP app to sort by track number but it doesn't seem to play continuously, and the VLC app plays continuously but not in track order. Does anyone know if there is a decent iPhone app I can use for this?
2) I have tens of thousands of files, most albums, but also bootlegs etc. My Sonos connects to the NAS and includes everything in the drive in the library. This means that it's really hard to find stuff; I tend to look stuff up by folder rather than use the library. Is there any way I can create 2 libraries, one for the stuff I listen to a lot, and another for the one-offs and bootlegs?

Current digital system is NAS>Chromecast Audio in main system>Sonos Play 1.

@MikeH i'm guessing the reason DSD is so expensive is because not only is it mostly for hobbyists (you need a DAC that can do DSD anyway so you already have payed at least a hundred bucks for that), but also that its audio quality aparently on the level of vinyl or a 96/24 (or was it 192/24) file with a whole new way of making the sound.. also its mostly done by audiophile labels like AP and 2XHD

Couple of questions Digital Druids:

1) I've got a QNAP NAS which has all my files on it. I can push files from it to my Chromecast Audio connected to my amp via the QNAP music app, or via the VLC app. Neither of them are ideal though: I can get the QNAP app to sort by track number but it doesn't seem to play continuously, and the VLC app plays continuously but not in track order. Does anyone know if there is a decent iPhone app I can use for this?
2) I have tens of thousands of files, most albums, but also bootlegs etc. My Sonos connects to the NAS and includes everything in the drive in the library. This means that it's really hard to find stuff; I tend to look stuff up by folder rather than use the library. Is there any way I can create 2 libraries, one for the stuff I listen to a lot, and another for the one-offs and bootlegs?

Current digital system is NAS>Chromecast Audio in main system>Sonos Play 1.
I'm no expert so maybe others can chime in, but I think without buying new equipment, you have a few options for software of varying costs and UI...anybody else--please feel free to correct me if I am wrong on any of these. The two that immediately came to mind are:

Roon
Pros: Awesome for building a library. Great iOS app with awesome interface. Should be able to manage all of your files with ease. Seems to work with a QNAP NAS. Also will allow you to do multi-room audio easily with any sources that have airplay and Roon works with Sonos. Also easily pairs with Qobuz or Tidal if you want a high-res music subscription service. For me, Roon has blown everything else out of the water in terms of it's UI, ease of use and function.

Cons: It is expensive and a subscription fee, or you can buy the lifetime subscription but it's expensive. I believe Roon is limited to CD quality audio via Sonos since it would use airplay. Doesn't connect with Spotify or Apple Music.

JRiver
Pros: cheaper than Roon. I do not have a ton of experience with it so maybe someone else can chime in. I did give it a trial and thought it was not bad but Roon has much better features for what I wanted specifically.

I'm no expert so maybe others can chime in, but I think without buying new equipment, you have a few options for software of varying costs and UI...anybody else--please feel free to correct me if I am wrong on any of these. The two that immediately came to mind are:

Roon
Pros: Awesome for building a library. Great iOS app with awesome interface. Should be able to manage all of your files with ease. Seems to work with a QNAP NAS. Also will allow you to do multi-room audio easily with any sources that have airplay and Roon works with Sonos. Also easily pairs with Qobuz or Tidal if you want a high-res music subscription service. For me, Roon has blown everything else out of the water in terms of it's UI, ease of use and function.

Cons: It is expensive and a subscription fee, or you can buy the lifetime subscription but it's expensive. I believe Roon is limited to CD quality audio via Sonos since it would use airplay. Doesn't connect with Spotify or Apple Music.

JRiver
Pros: cheaper than Roon. I do not have a ton of experience with it so maybe someone else can chime in. I did give it a trial and thought it was not bad but Roon has much better features for what I wanted specifically.

Roon isn’t as far as I’m aware compatible with chromecast, it uses airplay for non Roon ready devices. Don’t know about jriver. I wonder if plex might work?

Roon isn’t as far as I’m aware compatible with chromecast, it uses airplay for non Roon ready devices. Don’t know about jriver. I wonder if plex might work?

Oh right--missed that whole Chromecast bit...I will have to look into it again, but I remember when I was doing a trial of Roon, I found some software for Mac that essentially tricked the computer into thinking chromecast was airplay and I was able to use all the google devices in my house as a zone in Roon. But not sure if that could be used on a NAS.

I also always forget Plex can be used for music because I have only used it for video before. That might be a good option though.

@Joe Mac unless they discontinued it, Chromecast audio does seem to be a Roon endpoint

@MikeH i'm guessing the reason DSD is so expensive is because not only is it mostly for hobbyists (you need a DAC that can do DSD anyway so you already have payed at least a hundred bucks for that), but also that its audio quality aparently on the level of vinyl or a 96/24 (or was it 192/24) file with a whole new way of making the sound.. also its mostly done by audiophile labels like AP and 2XHD
That's originally why I was interested in at least testing it out. My DAC does do DSD so I wanted to see how it compares to FLAC + Qobuz. But the pricing of albums is the downside since I can often buy great vinyl pressings for the price of a DSD album. And the selections are pretty limited as of now.

That's originally why I was interested in at least testing it out. My DAC does do DSD so I wanted to see how it compares to FLAC + Qobuz. But the pricing of albums is the downside since I can often buy great vinyl pressings for the price of a DSD album. And the selections are pretty limited as of now.
the only one that might seem like an issue there is the eric dolphy triple album that HD tracks has which was only released on RSD and it slightly cheaper than the CD version

basically almost everything from 2XHD

I kinda hope it stays limited. DSD is only worth it if the music is recorded in DSD or the tape transfers have been done direct to DSD. The PCM to DSD transfers just sound like hi res PCM, there’s no point.

Last edited:
Back