The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

I had about 1200 cds. Prior to my big move in 2017 I ripped about 90-95%. I ended up getting rid of almost all and only kept ones that had sentimental value or really intricate packaging that I like.

Since then I probably have added another 100-150 additional cds. These are usually titles that are not easily available on vinyl (or not at all) or have a substantial amount of bonus tracks that can’t be found on streaming services. I have just been too lazy to rip these new additions but will get to them one day.

I had about 1200 cds. Prior to my big move in 2017 I ripped about 90-95%. I ended up getting rid of almost all and only kept ones that had sentimental value or really intricate packaging that I like.

Since then I probably have added another 100-150 additional cds. These are usually titles that are not easily available on vinyl (or not at all) or have a substantial amount of bonus tracks that can’t be found on streaming services. I have just been too lazy to rip these new additions but will get to them one day.

I kinda gave up on ripping and just play the CDs lol. The jazz lounge sleeves definitely helped with the amount of storage space I needed for them.

Btw do you have these sets? Been almost clicking on them the last two weeks…

Yeah I’ve been collecting both for almost identical periods. A couple of years less on the CDs, 32, and a year more on the vinyl, 11. I’ve had some form of CD playback since Christmas 92 when I got my first CD player and we’d had one in the house since mid 91.

I’ve only had one table, but changed carts and added a phono in place of an original in-built and I’d agree that the changes are much less subtle. However, fhere was an absolute change from my old Sony SACD player connected over coax and the Jays connected with I2S, it had me grabbing CDs off my shelf with much more regularly than before.

It also had the other benefits of being built like a tank and using a top loading transport that I could pretty easily source a replacement and change out myself if anything ever went wrong with it.
The Jays is a handsome fellow. I’d consider getting one if I needed a replacement. Oddly, I prefer the carousel type changers to single disc models. I purchased an Integra changer a couple of years ago to replace my old NAD changer.

There are times, particularly for parties, where I want specific CDs to play all night long. I could do this with my Mac as a streaming source, but I’m quirky and the Integra did not cost much.

Does anyone really spend $2000 on a streamer and listen to Spotify?

He talks about Spotify connect dropping out like crazy. I get the thought of testing it from a review standpoint but why would you do this in real life?

Steve Huff is a bit of an odd bird. I don’t think he’s inexperienced or a shill, but perhaps idiosyncratic and very enthusiastic. But he does mention Spotify in most of his DAC/Streamer reviews.

He talks about Spotify connect dropping out like crazy. I get the thought of testing it from a review standpoint but why would you do this in real life?

I wouldn’t do it if I was sitting there listening on my own…but there have been times where we’ve had people over and just want background music so my wife will throw on a Spotify or Apple Music playlist or something. I would find it annoying if a streamer didn’t work with basic airplay or whatever Spotify uses

Has anyone here done any kind of testing on the sound quality between streamers at different price points?

I have tested a Raspberry Pi 4 w/ a Hifiberry Digi+ HAT that feeds DACs via Coax running MoOde Audio; a Cambridge Audio CXNV2; and an ifi Zen Stream. My conclusion, outside of streamer software capabilities, is that the DACs used with any of these streamers had the most impact on sound.

I mixed and matched with the following DACs. Aune X1S, Zen DACv2, CXNv2, CXA81; Geshelli Labs J2S socketed w/ Sparkos Ops Amps.

My thinking is diminishing returns kicks in big time from a purely sound quality perspective once you get over $400 for a dedicated streamer.

Maybe one day I’ll try a > $1k option.

Has anyone here done any kind of testing on the sound quality between streamers at different price points?

I have tested a Raspberry Pi 4 w/ a Hifiberry Digi+ HAT that feeds DACs via Coax running MoOde Audio; a Cambridge Audio CXNV2; and an ifi Zen Stream. My conclusion, outside of streamer software capabilities, is that the DACs used with any of these streamers had the most impact on sound.

I mixed and matched with the following DACs. Aune X1S, Zen DACv2, CXNv2, CXA81; Geshelli Labs J2S socketed w/ Sparkos Ops Amps.

My thinking is diminishing returns kicks in big time from a purely sound quality perspective once you get over $400 for a dedicated streamer.

I liked the pi and Digi one hat a lot. It was more the hardware and software limitations of the pi hat dacs not allowing for DSD that did it for me because the pi was pretty weak as a usb streamer.

Maybe the allo digi one signature player is the pinnacle of the more budget player.

This is the single best imaging test track I have ever heard… and it’s only streaming on Spotify.
There are some tracks that just don’t find their way into other services.

I’ve heard several $300-ish streamers, I have the CXNv2. I’d like to get a Lumin U2 mini. I’ve heard all the way up to the Lumin P1.

I’m not going to say it doesn’t make a difference, but I’d do a lot of other changes first. Especially the DAC. And I’d do a long list of other things before that.

Last edited:
I’m not going to say it doesn’t make a difference, but I’d do a lot of other changes first. Especially the DAC. And I’d do a long list of other things before that.
Some swear there’s no noticeable difference between DAC chips while others seem to notice big differences. I’d say I heard a bit more of a difference between the Denafrips Ares and my chip-based DACs that were built into amps/my Singxer. But the Singxer is no slouch either. I had a few different chip DACs that didn’t sound all that different to me.

Some swear there’s no noticeable difference between DAC chips while others seem to notice big differences. I’d say I heard a bit more of a difference between the Denafrips Ares and my chip-based DACs that were built into amps/my Singxer. But the Singxer is no slouch either. I had a few different chip DACs that didn’t sound all that different to me.
I've said it before and I'll say it 10,000 more times: I think the output stage is substantially more important than the DAC chip.

DAC’s are pretty good nowadays. Since the price for terrific performance is so inexpensive, perhaps it is more constructive to get the feature set desired. If all you need is PCM, then any of the Schiit products will work fine. Need DSD? JDS Labs comes to mind - as well as a whole bunch of other OEM’s. For me, I also factor in reliability and serviceability.
Analog front ends benefit more from extra dollars than digital - IMHO. Knowing when to stop before diminishing returns set in is the key - unless funds are not an issue…..

Back