The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

If I had the $$$ I would get that and a Lampizator and keep the one I like better.
If I had more money I would try the Mola Mola and probably just stop there.
The price is not outrageous but beyond my means and I may not be able to appreciate it properly.
Fortunately, if I buy into ASR orthodoxy the better Delta Sigma DACs are better than any R2R DAC and I have two 4499EX DACs.
I am a winner 🏆
ASR seems to be peculiar in that preference
Both the Gustard R26 and Laddar Schumann R2Rs are on sale and
I want to try out the Laddar for $1,200 - ish based on the reviews and bang for the buck value.
I love seeing the $250k speakers and $70k cables and ever other excess that can be witnessed at an audio show.
I never go solely by ASR reviews or measurements because you don't listen to gear with measurements. you listen with your ears. you really need to hear gear in your space to know what you prefer. too many people over there rely solely on measurements.

I never go solely by ASR reviews or measurements because you don't listen to gear with measurements. you listen with your ears. you really need to hear gear in your space to know what you prefer. too many people over there rely solely on measurements.
They will moderate you into oblivion with that attitude sir.
I do read Amir’s reviews as there is useful information in there.
I just got done reading Amir’s review and the thread on the Laddar Schumann R2R which was so ASR-ish 🤔🤐😬

Last edited:
They will moderate you into oblivion with that attitude sir.
I do read Amir’s reviews as there is useful information in there.
I just got done reading Amir’s review and the thread on the Laddar Schumann R2R which was so ASR-ish 🤔🤐😬

ASR is the most ridiculous place on the internet and I reject the entire premise of the website. They’d reject something with higher THD but even order harmonics over something with lower THD through negative feedback loops and jarring odd order harmonics.

If I had the $$$ I would get that and a Lampizator and keep the one I like better.
If I had more money I would try the Mola Mola and probably just stop there.
The price is not outrageous but beyond my means and I may not be able to appreciate it properly.
Fortunately, if I buy into ASR orthodoxy the better Delta Sigma chip DACs are better than any R2R DAC and I have two 4499EX DACs.
I am a winner 🏆
ASR seems to be peculiar in that preference
Both the Gustard R26 and Laddar Schumann R2Rs are on sale and
I want to try out the Laddar for $1,200 - ish based on the reviews and bang for the buck value.
I love seeing the $250k speakers and $70k cables and ever other excess that can be witnessed at an audio show.
My next DAC will be an R2R. My current DAC, Geshelli J2S, has an AMD4499EX and it’s really nice. I’m probably going to pick up a Denafrips Ares for comparison purposes.

ASR provides some interesting info, but there is more to good sound than numbers and measurements.

My next DAC will be an R2R. My current DAC, Geshelli J2S, has an AMD4499EX and it’s really nice. I’m probably going to pick up a Denafrips Ares for comparison purposes.

ASR provides some interesting info, but there is more to good sound than numbers and measurements.
I really like my Ares! One day I’ll probably upgrade it to the Pontus and move the Ares to my office setup

ASR is the most ridiculous place on the internet and I reject the entire premise of the website. They’d reject something with higher THD but even order harmonics over something with lower THD through negative feedback loops and jarring odd order harmonics.
The key to getting useful review information at ASR is to stop reading past the actual data presented by Amir. Make your own judgments based on the data presented that is relevant to your needs. There is valuable info there to be had.

I recently bought speakers and read the entire ASR thread on them. Maybe 15% of the thread was posts about the speakers, the rest was nitpicking what is a horn and what is a waveguide, or whether the review methods could be improved.

ASR has valuable information in conjunction with subjective information out there, but in a vacuum it is a pretty miserable website

I recently bought speakers and read the entire ASR thread on them. Maybe 15% of the thread was posts about the speakers, the rest was nitpicking what is a horn and what is a waveguide, or whether the review methods could be improved.

ASR has valuable information in conjunction with subjective information out there, but in a vacuum it is a pretty miserable website
I think it’s worse than Hoffman forums haha but like @Bob from Florida said, there’s some good info on there if you just ignore the comments and use the measurements in conjunction with your ears

I think it’s worse than Hoffman forums haha but like @Bob from Florida said, there’s some good info on there if you just ignore the comments and use the measurements in conjunction with your ears
Hoffman is more useful than ASR in my opinion, but you have to recognize patterns from certain posters who only recommend certain products. Once you realize who to keep at arms length I think there’s a lot more useful info there than ASR

Hoffman is more useful than ASR in my opinion, but you have to recognize patterns from certain posters who only recommend certain products. Once you realize who to keep at arms length I think there’s a lot more useful info there than ASR
To be fair I don’t look at gear stuff at Hoffman much. But lots of insufferable posters there about music

The key to getting useful review information at ASR is to stop reading past the actual data presented by Amir. Make your own judgments based on the data presented that is relevant to your needs. There is valuable info there to be had.

I’m not convinced. It’s measurement for the sale of measurements often. I don’t how THD or their beloved similar SINEAD measurements have any relevance without a whole host of information that neither they, nor manufacturers, provide.

Then there is the contributors who mirror Hoffman. Same attitude, different viewpoint.

No thank you very much.

I’m not convinced. It’s measurement for the sale of measurements often. I don’t how THD or their beloved similar SINEAD measurements have any relevance without a whole host of information that neither they, nor manufacturers, provide.

Then there is the contributors who mirror Hoffman. Same attitude, different viewpoint.

No thank you very much.
It is not "gospel", although there are some that treat it as such. If you can get past some of "posturing", there is some good information. Knowing the "noise floor" of an amp or preamp can be useful in narrowing down choices to audition. I just bought a pair of $25 IEM's - 7HZ / Crinacle Zero 2's - based on an ASR review.

The review was spot on - hard to imagine better sound from anything.

No thank you very much.
I’m not even sure Amir is correct in how he measures what he measures, yet alone if what he measures correlates to what they think it does.

IMG_1826.gif

Random and potentially useless factoid. The Eversolo DMP-A6 is capable of 768kHz PCM if you use the internal DAC and are not using Roon. If using Roon for upscaling you will notice it caps out at 384kHz for PCM. I was curious why so I did a little Google surfing and Eversolo confirmed they felt it wasn’t stable at 768K, so they only got it certified with Roon to 384k.

But…. Roon will allow DSD512, which is unstable as hell on the A6. Go figure.

Anyway, if anyone else has or is looking or thinking of getting an A6 and has 768k PCM files it will downsample them to 384k. It’s not just in your head.

And now back to Bob in the studio with this weeks weather.

Random and potentially useless factoid. The Eversolo DMP-A6 is capable of 768kHz PCM if you use the internal DAC and are not using Roon. If using Roon for upscaling you will notice it caps out at 384kHz for PCM. I was curious why so I did a little Google surfing and Eversolo confirmed they felt it wasn’t stable at 768K, so they only got it certified with Roon to 384k.

But…. Roon will allow DSD512, which is unstable as hell on the A6. Go figure.

Anyway, if anyone else has or is looking or thinking of getting an A6 and has 768k PCM files it will downsample them to 384k. It’s not just in your head.

And now back to Bob in the studio with this weeks weather.
Question - who is using 768K PCM files?

Back