The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

About to give Qobuz a shot. Any hints and tips?

It’s a really good service. The sound quality is excellent. The only thing is it doesn’t have its own “connect” player option so it’s airplay which will knock the quality back. The only way to get the full quality, unless you are using Roon, is to access it through the streamers own app which can make it clunky. Still sounds great though!

Last edited:
Still a deal breaker for me. I know Qobuz is supposed to simply be the best right now, but I can't live with the streamer interfaces anymore, lol.

Actually best I’ve heard connected direct to a dac is, and people will be surprised, Apple Music. Airplay is just such a bitch. Part of why I’m thinking of longer term just getting an iPad mini and having it permanently attached to the dac via usb. May use my streamer and phono then as a trade in for a better phono.

Qobuz is an absolute no brainer if you use roon. Sounds better and has a much bigger library of both music and hi res music than tidal.

Actually best I’ve heard connected direct to a dac
I agree, this is absolutely the BEST way. But it's also by far the most annoying to me and I won't do it, lol.

Now the next level that I've seen several friends playing in the higher end side of things take is looking at your network equipment. Audiophile grade network switch. Linear power supplies on the switches. Getting ethernet cables and power cables that match the full loom of the rest of the system. It's becoming increasingly common in the higher end side of hifi.

Last edited:
I agree, this is absolutely the BEST way. But it's also by far the most annoying to me and I won't do it, lol.

Now the next level that I've seen several high friends take is looking at your network equipment. Audiophile grade network switch. Linear power supplies on the switches. Getting ethernet cables and power cables that match the full loom of the rest of the system. It's becoming increasingly common in the higher end side of hifi.

Yeah the problem is that unless you’re using roon every hi res service has a compromise when it comes to using a streaming box.

Apple Music - Airplay compresses

Tidal - Holes in the library both normal and at hi res. Tidal connect is far from perfect and won’t always give you the full hi res 24/192

Qobuz - limited by airplay or by having to use streamers interface.

I figure the least of the evils sq wise. Is a fixed tablet as the streamer and a control device. Unless you are streaming only in which case roon is the best.

A tablet also is a pretty good device for the job given they’re all usb c now, and being fanless with ssd’s they are quiet.

I smell serious snake oil with audiophile switches and Ethernet cables. Not going there. Plus if you have modern WiFi it’s more than enough for hi res music and no cables at all introducing noise!

yea they must be high to pay $4k for a network switch haha

More than €50 for a network switch and you’re high!

We’re talking what I paid for my amplifier there and that was a significant purchase that took me a long time to try and justify. Honestly even now 2 years later and loving it justifying the cost isn’t the easiest!

So far, so good. Integrates well with the Wiim app, and I'm using the Mac OS app quite happily on my laptop. Moved a bunch of playlists over, and it did a decent job - a few gaps (no Detroit Cobras!), but it's got above 85% of my big daily playlist. Pretty impressed an hour in. Next step is to try using the TV interphase, and to see how it is on the move.

Still a deal breaker for me. I know Qobuz is supposed to simply be the best right now, but I can't live with the streamer interfaces anymore, lol.
Yeah the problem is that unless you’re using roon every hi res service has a compromise when it comes to using a streaming box.

Apple Music - Airplay compresses

Tidal - Holes in the library both normal and at hi res. Tidal connect is far from perfect and won’t always give you the full hi res 24/192

Qobuz - limited by airplay or by having to use streamers interface.

I figure the least of the evils sq wise. Is a fixed tablet as the streamer and a control device. Unless you are streaming only in which case roon is the best.

A tablet also is a pretty good device for the job given they’re all usb c now, and being fanless with ssd’s they are quiet.

I smell serious snake oil with audiophile switches and Ethernet cables. Not going there. Plus if you have modern WiFi it’s more than enough for hi res music and no cables at all introducing noise!

this is why I decided to pony up for Roon. I use it every single day, so having a software solution that isn't clunky but delivers good sound is worth it for me.

this is why I decided to pony up for Roon. I use it every single day, so having a software solution that isn't clunky but delivers good sound is worth it for me.

Not working from home makes that a really hard call for me. I love roon but I’m not using streaming at home nearly enough to justify the outlay for it. And honestly even when I was working at home I don’t have a dedicated office so I was on the dining table in the same room as the system so vinyl and cd won out anyway!

Not working from home makes that a really hard call for me. I love roon but I’m not using streaming at home nearly enough to justify the outlay for it. And honestly even when I was working at home I don’t have a dedicated office so I was on the dining table in the same room as the system so vinyl and cd won out anyway!
yep--it's definitely not for everybody and the price is hard to justify. but it really fits what i was looking for. my wife even uses it now in the sitting room and our breakfast room!

yea they must be high to pay $4k for a network switch haha
The one thing I'll add is that everyone messing with these is generally approaching or past the $100K total system mark. Which is also wild.

These aren't popping up in living room or multi-function areas. Always in dedicated rooms that often look and sound nicer than most audio dealers these days. People that are truly chasing that last single percent out of their system.

I can't speak for the difference they made because I haven't been able to hear a before/after with one of these. But I am surprised at how quickly this type of gear is catching on in some circles.

Back