The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

Exchanged emails with a nice guy at PS Audio. We tried a few things but the muffled sound hasn't gone away. He thinks the Gain Cell circuit is failing. It would be possibly $250-$500 to fix. Given the digital side is working fine, I may just defer for a while. I'm honestly not listening to vinyl at all. I may bring my old Adcom back out and hook it up to the turntable. If I get a hankering to listen to vinyl, I can swap the audio out to my amp. A small hassle but I'm really only listening to vinyl if it's something I can't find on Roon in decent quality.

I've honestly thought about selling a lot of my vinyl as I have way too much that I'm not listening to now more so than even before.

Anyone have any experience with the Wiim Pro? Tempted to upgrade from a Chrome puck.
I’ll have one up and running on Friday if you want to wait a few days. Going to be going through the DAC on the Leak (assuming DPD actually deliver) so just went pro rather the. Pro plus. So no will only be able to comment on the streamer element (which should be identical to every other steamer of that bit rate)

Looked at the bluesound too but couldn’t justify the cost for just blue os

I’m massively low on space since doing a room re-arrange. This kinda seems to tick a lot of boxes. Especially if you’ve already got a decent dac.

I mean. It was £130. That’s ridiculous if it’s as good as every single review seems to think it is.

I use a Wiim mini I run into an external DAC. I really like it and it is a breeze to use. I'd imagine the extra connectivity of the Pro would make it more flexible to your needs.
Are you using roon/ connect/ AirPlay or the Wiim software? Trying to work out whether I resub to qobuz or tidal for it and decision will probably come down to whether the Wiim app stinks the place up

Are you using roon/ connect/ AirPlay or the Wiim software? Trying to work out whether I resub to qobuz or tidal for it and decision will probably come down to whether the Wiim app stinks the place up
I use Spotify almost exclusively for streaming, so Spotify Connect through the WiiM is automatic. However, I think the WiiM app seems quite capable with lots of options ranging from music on my phone to home music server to most of the major music streaming platforms. Qubuz and Tidal are there.

The Wiim App is fine/easy to use. If you’re using services or airplay, you don’t even need to open it except for firmware updates.

If you’re using iOS devices and external dac, there’s no reason to get the pro.
Hasn’t the pro toslink and coax? And you can hard wire your network in too.

But yeah. My reading is
Both mini and pro have toslink
Both mini and pro have wifi
Both mini and pro have same shitty dac
Pro has Ethernet
Pro has coax

Pro plus has better dac and some analog things going on that don’t apply to me as it’s going straight in the coax

Think all do Alexacast too which might be an interesting option for the Amazon Prime lot

Hasn’t the pro toslink and coax? And you can hard wire your network in too.

But yeah. My reading is
Both mini and pro have toslink
Both mini and pro have wifi
Both mini and pro have same shitty dac
Pro has Ethernet
Pro has coax

Pro plus has better dac and some analog things going on that don’t apply to me as it’s going straight in the coax

Think all do Alexacast too which might be an interesting option for the Amazon Prime lot

Yeah and if you’re using hi res streaming you kinda want coax because toslink tops out at 24/96. It does seem like a nice option for anyone on tidal/Spotify. With just AirPlay and no roon native (it does it over AirPlay) it’s still compromised for both of those. I really wish apple would just sort out airplay to be as useful as Spotify and tidal connect.

The pro is fully Roon Ready now. Think that the pro plus isn’t though. They’re also working with Qobuz on a Qobuz Connect so that’s interesting in itself.

It’s a ridiculous price for the functionality (assuming it’s not proper shit)

The pro is fully Roon Ready now. Think that the pro plus isn’t though. They’re also working with Qobuz on a Qobuz Connect so that’s interesting in itself.

It’s a ridiculous price for the functionality (assuming it’s not proper shit)

Qobuz Connect would be proper nice. I find with these things that once you can use your own DAC the shit bit is always the propriety software. Once you can use that to just set up and control the music from its app you’re usually golden.

If you’re using coax, doesn’t that mean the dac on the Wiim is the one being used? I read from Wiim that the dac was the main change so if you’re using toslink, you’re not going to see an improvement.

If you’re using coax, doesn’t that mean the dac on the Wiim is the one being used? I read from Wiim that the dac was the main change so if you’re using toslink, you’re not going to see an improvement.

No coax is a digital cable the same as toslink is. It has a slightly better bandwidth which allows you to use the full 24/192 hi res rather than 24/96 which toslink is limited to. It is also better shielded should also theoretically be better in terms of interference and jitter but honestly I’ve never had that issue with toslink either so that’s probably only going to impact in certain situations. So I suppose that’s all a long way of saying that if I was using Spotify I’d not really care and toslink is fine but if I’m paying for a service giving me 24/192 I’d want to be using coax or usb to connect to my DAC to get the fullness of what I was paying for.

Back