The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

Just noticed that Roon raised their lifetime pricing I think to $700 now. Bummer...
Ouch! I wasn't looking to invest in Roon at any point, but this makes it even less appealing now.
It will be interesting to see what happens if/when a worth competitor comes along.

Just noticed that Roon raised their lifetime pricing I think to $700 now. Bummer...

I read somewhere that they are considering ending the lifetime option altogether. They explained that the lifetime membership was meant for start up money, and they need/want the $10 per month from users going forward for continued growth. It makes total sense from a business standpoint, and from what I have seen so far, $10 a month is a bargain. Seriously.

I read somewhere that they are considering ending the lifetime option altogether. They explained that the lifetime membership was meant for start up money, and they need/want the $10 per month from users going forward for continued growth. It makes total sense from a business standpoint, and from what I have seen so far, $10 a month is a bargain. Seriously.
But $10/month when you are also paying $15-$20+ on high res service + other subscriptions really adds up...I was hoping to get the lifetime option at $500 which would have made it more palatable...

But $10/month when you are also paying $15-$20+ on high res service + other subscriptions really adds up...I was hoping to get the lifetime option at $500 which would have made it more palatable...

Understood.. it does suck that they raised it. I just thought they put forth a good explanation for it, which was refreshing, and that my experience with it so far makes $10 a month seem "reasonable".

I don't think the HiRez subs should be a factor. If you're only using Roon for managing one sub (Tidal/Quobz/etc) then I think you're not making the best use of your money. All the dedicated streamers do an acceptable (but not prefect) job managing Tidal. I think the value with Roon really kicks in when you have files on a server, files of multiple file types, and you use multiple streaming services. From what I understand, that's where things really shine, bringing all of that into one UI. No more bouncing around.

But if you're just using 1 streaming service... just use the interface for that service.

I don't think the HiRez subs should be a factor. If you're only using Roon for managing one sub (Tidal/Quobz/etc) then I think you're not making the best use of your money. All the dedicated streamers do an acceptable (but not prefect) job managing Tidal. I think the value with Roon really kicks in when you have files on a server, files of multiple file types, and you use multiple streaming services. From what I understand, that's where things really shine, bringing all of that into one UI. No more bouncing around.

But if you're just using 1 streaming service... just use the interface for that service.

yeah where it shines from me is mixing 1TB (edited 1GB is not much hi res at all 😂) of hi res/lossless files with qobuz. It is seamless!

Last edited:

I would agree with this. Not sure the Roon interface is worth $10 month over the Tidal if thats all you have going on. I like it better for sure.. but not $10 month better.

I have a Qobuz subscription + an aries mini with internal HDD of 300GB or so of FLAC files that is always expanding. Also have Apple Music for now, but that doesn't really affect Roon. I did really like the trial I had of Roon but the $700 yearly now has really turned me off from it...I might eventually try a 1 year sub.

the one thing im kinda nervous about when it comes to buying an amp for my laptop (probably a dragonfly) and audiophile headphones (i dunno sennheiser probably) is that i dont want my parents being able to hear what i am listening to on my computer (and most of it is just youtube videos and spotify music so nothing too hifi)

the one thing im kinda nervous about when it comes to buying an amp for my laptop (probably a dragonfly) and audiophile headphones (i dunno sennheiser probably) is that i dont want my parents being able to hear what i am listening to on my computer (and most of it is just youtube videos and spotify music so nothing too hifi)
Move out.

Unless they have batlike hearing or are sitting next to you, they won't hear it. Even when I crank my Grados or Sennheisers, the sound fades really fast.
If you mom wanders close enough to hear a slight buzz, she might mention hearing damage, but a quick offer to let her listen should fix that. Unless you're listening to something you don't want her to hear, but I'm sure you can come up with a solution.

You can get closed audiophile quality headphones and avoid that possibility. Most of my use is for travel, so closed was a necessity.

Back