The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

Crossposting from another thread

Goooood morning all. I have come into a Audiolab 6000CDT for a great price and now I am kind of wondering how to incorporate it into my system (and to see if there's a reasonable enough excuse to upgrade. cough cough). I am currently using a Cambridge CXA81 with a built in DAC (ESS Sabre ES9016 DAC ) etc. Was wondering if it would be worth it to purchase a "standalone" DAC and then...maybe upgrade the amplifier or throw some other things into the system.

I have finally accepted that I can't even placebo myself into thinking that I can hear the difference between a AAC ~256 and FLAC. I've tried testing a bunch of times, blind and not, on headphones and speakers, and I've focused on the high end and the low end of the sound, and I can't tell. I had a bunch of ear infections as a kid, and I've had tinnitus as long as I can remember, so maybe my ears just aren't great.

Most of my digital purchases are via Bandcamp, so I still save the FLAC copy into my archive, but I think I can finally accept that at least I, with these ears, won't lose anything by filling my phone's SD card with AAC copies of my collection... except knowing myself, next week I may change my mind and decide the refill it with FLAC files again...

I have finally accepted that I can't even placebo myself into thinking that I can hear the difference between a AAC ~256 and FLAC. I've tried testing a bunch of times, blind and not, on headphones and speakers, and I've focused on the high end and the low end of the sound, and I can't tell. I had a bunch of ear infections as a kid, and I've had tinnitus as long as I can remember, so maybe my ears just aren't great.

Most of my digital purchases are via Bandcamp, so I still save the FLAC copy into my archive, but I think I can finally accept that at least I, with these ears, won't lose anything by filling my phone's SD card with AAC copies of my collection... except knowing myself, next week I may change my mind and decide the refill it with FLAC files again...
Doing the Pepsi challenge with mp3 and Flac, I would not be able to tell the difference. Where I do notice it is when I am listening on headphones (95% of my listening) for an extended time. I notice that I get hearing fatigue more with mp3 than with Flac. Same goes for cd vs vinyl.

I did the same thing with my old iPod that I keep plugged into my car audio system. Squeezed in a lot more tunes for no loss of enjoyment.

Interesting idea of using a DAP as a streaming endpoint

It’s kind of something I’ve been playing with in my head longer term. I really like how my fancy streaming box sounds but the limitations of AirPlay and not really wanting to come away from Apple Music for the amount of streaming I do and the convenience of the bundle with tv/cloud etc means it might not be a long term option unless AirPlay seriously ups its game.

Kinda thinking that when I’m ready for a new phono stage I might also trade in the streamer and just buy a second, lower down the line, iPad and connect it permanently over usb to the DAC. Only way to get full 24/192 out of Apple Music, nice big display and easy controls and quieter electronically than a laptop or desktop.

My dream unit is something with a bit bigger screen, like an iPad mini, that is a dedicated music player

Being pi based can use volumio, or Ropee for roon, or any of the other open source os.

I'm considering getting a DAC for my setup, my relevant components to use the DAC are:
  • CD player - NAD C548. This has a nice Wolfson 24-bit/192kHz DAC built in.
  • Streamer - Raspberry Pi Volumio setup with JustBoom digi hat. This requires the use of a DAC for digital output
  • Amp - Yamaha A-S501. It's a solid, loud amp, but probably the weak link in the chain. It has a Texas Instruments PCM5101m 24-bit/192kHz DAC. Also no Bluetooth for streaming from my devices.
I'm considering a couple DACS:
  • Zen One Signature - Uses Bit-perfect DSD & DXD DAC by Burr Brown (i.e., Texas Instruments) 32-bit/384kHz DAC. Has additional processing and Bluetooth 5.1. $349
  • Cambridge Audio DACMagic 200M - Uses twin ESS Sabre Reference ES9028Q2M DAC chips, 32-bit/768kHz. Bluetooth 4.2. $549
Any thoughts on the set up and the type of DAC I should look at? It seems to me that the Zen One should more than suffice for my needs but is the Burr Brown chip any better than existing DAC in my CD player?

I'm considering getting a DAC for my setup, my relevant components to use the DAC are:
  • Streamer - Raspberry Pi Volumio setup with JustBoom digi hat. This requires the use of a DAC for digital output
  • Amp - Yamaha A-S501. It's a solid, loud amp, but probably the weak link in the chain. It has a Texas Instruments PCM5101m 24-bit/192kHz DAC. Also no Bluetooth for streaming from my devices.
  • Zen One Signature - Uses Bit-perfect DSD & DXD DAC by Burr Brown (i.e., Texas Instruments) 32-bit/384kHz DAC. Has additional processing and Bluetooth 5.1. $349
  • Cambridge Audio DACMagic 200M - Uses twin ESS Sabre Reference ES9028Q2M DAC chips, 32-bit/768kHz. Bluetooth 4.2. $549
Any thoughts on the set up and the type of DAC I should look at? It seems to me that the Zen One should more than suffice for my needs but is the Burr Brown chip any better than existing DAC in my CD player?

i don’t have any experience woth the just boom but I have had, and have always been hugely impressed by the hifiberry hats.

im their pro range they do a digi hat https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hifiberry-digi2-pro/ too but also a DAC hat HiFiBerry DAC2 Pro | HiFiBerry and they also sell custom made boxes for the pi and hat which make a nice package. The DAC may save you a few pennies! I had the first generation pro of both digi and DAC and loved both.

I’ve heard good things about the CA DACMagic, I’m not familiar with the Zen One. I’ve had a few less expensive DAC’s and was underwhelmed. I stayed to notice a difference at about the $600 level. Is it possible to save up a little more? Another portion is a used Mytek Liberty. I’ve had one for a few years and it’s been very solid. It blew the DAC in my old Parasound d out of the water and I preferred it to the Chord Cutest. Ones on Reverb currently for $600.

Mytek Liberty DAC (original) w USB, MQA and DSD | Reverb

I
I’d suggest the Topping DX3 Pro+. Has Bluetooth and a modern DAC chip that is more than sufficient.

Last edited:
DAC hat HiFiBerry DAC2 Pro | HiFiBerry and they also sell custom made boxes for the pi and hat which make a nice package. The DAC may save you a few pennies! I had the first generation pro of both digi and DAC and loved both.
That is cheap as chips, I might just get it to play around with!

Thanks for the input, all. That Topping DX3 Pro+ is a very nice option! It's got the Sabre DAC, Bluetooth, headphone amp, and the screen is a nice touch.

Back