The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

Oh really, so you don't play through Poweramp but it still lets you set the volume level through it for a different player?
Yeah, but if I'm in the other app and change the volume again, it will be in the larger increments of normal Android, but as long as I don't touch the volume controls it will stay at that finer-tuned level.

The thing that really drives me nuts with my current phone is the volume control increments are way too big. So it's a constant battle between not loud enough, and deafening. It's the dumbest thing and it's the only phone I've ever had this issue with. So I always default to not loud enough. But I hate it.
You can use the screen slider with a pencil type gadget to be more precise instead of the buttons, if that helps.

No prob.
FYI if you ever decide to try out the wireless buds, you get a tailored app with additional creature comforts.
Maaaybe down the road, I JUST bought these ones and they sound really good so it'll likely be a while. I will say though, I just tried out a couple of the external DACs via the USB C port just to see what the difference was vs the mini plug and I gotta be honest... I'm not sure if the S10 has decent internal processing but the DACs didn't add much. One was almost no difference, the other was slightly larger and warmed everything up a bit. But it was not nearly the benefit I was expecting.

Maaaybe down the road, I JUST bought these ones and they sound really good so it'll likely be a while. I will say though, I just tried out a couple of the external DACs via the USB C port just to see what the difference was vs the mini plug and I gotta be honest... I'm not sure if the S10 has decent internal processing but the DACs didn't add much. One was almost no difference, the other was slightly larger and warmed everything up a bit. But it was not nearly the benefit I was expecting.
I don't even know if a S10 (???) is still supported.
I'm on a S22... they have a Dolby atmos button now. Much better sound feature built in

I don't even know if a S10 (???) is still supported.
I'm on a S22... they have a Dolby atmos button now. Much better sound feature built in
Yeah this one has that button too, it's pretty much got the same OS as the 22, but mine is starting to go. I find the Atmos button works great with some tunes, but really changes the timber too much for me on others. But again, I think my internals are starting to go, so that could be a glitch.

One of the worst kept secrets in audio is that DACs don't actually differ by very much performance-wise, regardless of cost. They can certainly vary by features, though.

Last edited:
After a minor schedule setback, I’m ready to rumble in using the Mac Mini as a server. I’ll need to load up Audirvana. Can it access the files I have ripped into Apple Music or will I need to extract them somehow?

After a minor schedule setback, I’m ready to rumble in using the Mac Mini as a server. I’ll need to load up Audirvana. Can it access the files I have ripped into Apple Music or will I need to extract them somehow?
I have a older version (pre subscription) but should still be similiar. Under Preferences/Library/+/ you can choose/add which drives/folders/locations (multiple) Audirvana will read/sync from.

Last edited:
I'm surprised I haven't gotten one of these yet. Is it lame sure but it is one of the only ways consumers can hold a big business accountable. So I'm mostly for it in a "you need to be penalized for lying" kind of way not a "I'm so angry" way

What's the cost/space needed for this. Sounds interesting
@bdm105 I bought the Topping D-10s on Amazon for about $105. I got a 10 foot USB A cable for $10 since my receiver is about that far away from my computer. If you're closer, the unit comes with a 3 foot USB cable. Topping also sells a wireless version but I don't really see myself playing the music in any room other than my study.

@bdm105 I bought the Topping D-10s on Amazon for about $105. I got a 10 foot USB A cable for $10 since my receiver is about that far away from my computer. If you're closer, the unit comes with a 3 foot USB cable. Topping also sells a wireless version but I don't really see myself playing the music in any room other than my study.

I wish my system was closer to my PC just to be able to use a USB cable. Now I'm looking into another DAC for my system, the Modi is my desktop DAC, but as it stands, my only option is picking up an original Chromcast, which are getting really expensive. All things I had, but no, we have to keep shuffling the deck, lol.

I wish my system was closer to my PC just to be able to use a USB cable. Now I'm looking into another DAC for my system, the Modi is my desktop DAC, but as it stands, my only option is picking up an original Chromcast, which are getting really expensive. All things I had, but no, we have to keep shuffling the deck, lol.
Not sure what your budget is for a new DAC….but I love my Denafrips Ares. It’s an R2R DAC and I think it sounds excellent. Does DSD but not MQA.

Not sure what your budget is for a new DAC….but I love my Denafrips Ares. It’s an R2R DAC and I think it sounds excellent. Does DSD but not MQA.
We have 3 things on the list to work on, the DAC is last on the list, but that affords me some time to research ;)
  • ?????????
  • Headphone Amp - Probably going with the MF
  • DAC
After that I'm buying a shock collar and hiring someone to push the button any time I'm looking at any gear, lol.

We have 3 things on the list to work on, the DAC is last on the list, but that affords me some time to research ;)
  • ?????????
  • DAC
After that I'm buying a shock collar and hiring someone to push the button any time I'm looking at any gear, lol.

If I didn’t have the DAC in the preamp I’d be very tempted by the duo of MX-Stream and MX-DAC. As it is I’m likely to just get the MX-Stream and plug it into my preamp with USB.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the Wiim Mini ?
Not yet but looks interesting. Darko has a review on his site. Basically it needs an external DAC as its guts are not great, so you are not coming to far ahead.

I have thought about getting one to play with and connect to a small set of powered bookshelf audioengine speakers in our dinning room.

Last edited:
  • ?????????
  • DAC
Maybe more than you want to spend but Bluesound Node has a built in dac (I am happy with it) and it can output to an external dac or go right into your amp.

Does not need to connect to your computer, you just stream to it. The Node is about the size of a medium sized hardcover book.

Maybe more than you want to spend but Bluesound Node has a built in dac (I am happy with it) and it can output to an external dac or go right into your amp.

Does not need to connect to your computer, you just stream to it. The Node is about the size of a medium sized hardcover book.
And it's a roon endpoint for files on the PC

I love the ability to add an external DAC to a streamer. And @AnthonyI probably will too because then he can still upgrade and swap out DACs later 🤣

Back