The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

I listen to a good share of digital for various reasons.

Not sure if it's the right choice for you, but have you thought about the Bluesound Node ? 599 new Mk2, B stock and Mk1 less.
Do you use or plan on using streaming service ? You can run it out to a external dac.

I use Audirvana but there are several music streaming programs form services and your own library now.

Also suggest having a good backup of all your files. And I would be tempted to put your library on SSD at current prices.
I don't currently use Roon, but I can look into it. I don't do a lot of streaming now; I only have one station that I hit a few times a week.

My largest concern is moving my current ripped files to another device and ripping my other CDs and vinyl to a device where I can have ready access to them at full resolution. My current method drops the file resolution when transmitted via Bluetooth. So, I probably need more of a "player" than a "streamer". I currently backup all of my Mac files to an external hard drive using Time Machine.

I don't currently use Roon, but I can look into it. I don't do a lot of streaming now; I only have one station that I hit a few times a week.

My largest concern is moving my current ripped files to another device and ripping my other CDs and vinyl to a device where I can have ready access to them at full resolution. My current method drops the file resolution when transmitted via Bluetooth. So, I probably need more of a "player" than a "streamer". I currently backup all of my Mac files to an external hard drive using Time Machine.

You could look into something like the blue sound power node which as far as I understand it is a node with a built in hard drive. Would allow streaming to it and playing from internal storage. I think they even used to have a model with a built in CD drive for ripping but I don’t know whether that is still on the market. Also, I can’t speak to their UI in terms of uploading, navigating and playing files, would be something to explore.

Edit: It’s called the Vault 2i and it had a 2TB HD and a CD drive for ripping.

I stopped using itunes to rip/play when it became such a convoluted mess. I use Max to rip to Flac/convert files (free)
and Audrivanaa for a player. If your comfortable with lossless and dont need something like Roon to stream, I would just stick to itunes I suppose.

Last edited:
I stopped using itunes to rip/play when it became such a convoluted mess. I use Max to rip to Flac/convert files (free)
and Audrivanaa for a player. If your comfortable with lossless and dont need something like Roon to stream, I would just stick to itunes I suppose.
Thanks, @JohnnyCashFan. Audrivanaa is also what was recommended in this PS Audio youtube video for use with a Mac mini...

Thanks, @JohnnyCashFan. Audrivanaa is also what was recommended in this PS Audio youtube video for use with a Mac mini...

If you go the Mac Mini route, maybe take a look a look at Plex. Free and easy to setup the server on your computer, also can be accessed on any mobile device that you have. If you buy a lifetime membership (usually on sale 2-3 times a year for about $79) you can use PlexAmp which is sort of Roon-lite

Are you running the Mac mini headless? I did that for a while and ended up removing it and selling it off in the end. I never found a control app for my iPad that I liked enough. It was especially frustrating to turn on and off with the button round the back…

Just to throw a cat amongst the pigeons, Darko has just put up a video on streaming music (Plex server) using an Apple TV and a Samsung tv

Limited bit rate leads to downsampling, you’d still need a separate pc/server to play files and of course still need a tv. There really isn’t a free solution out there right now that ticks all the boxes, in terms of both software and hardware, when you want to play files, there always seems to be some compromise or another…

Limited bit rate leads to downsampling, you’d still need a separate pc/server to play files and of course still need a tv. There really isn’t a solution a free solution out there right now that ticks all the boxes, in terms of both software and hardware, when you want to play files, there always seems to be some compromise or another…
Sadly there is always a compromise to be made

Currently this is my setup:
  • Mac with external hard drive
  • Rip to flac using XLD and store on the external
  • Roon server on my Mac
  • Bluesound 2i Node connected to my Marantz receiver via RCA
I can use my Mac, phone or iPad as the controller. Will also allow me to stream my Sonos speaker in the kitchen.

I use PlexAmp to download (as mp3) from my external hd to my mobile device if I am going to be out and in an area without good cell reception.

You could look into something like the blue sound power node which as far as I understand it is a node with a built in hard drive. Would allow streaming to it and playing from internal storage. I think they even used to have a model with a built in CD drive for ripping but I don’t know whether that is still on the market. Also, I can’t speak to their UI in terms of uploading, navigating and playing files, would be something to explore.

Edit: It’s called the Vault 2i and it had a 2TB HD and a CD drive for ripping.
The Vault 2i looks *very* interesting. I will take a deep dive on it soon.

I'm very tempted by the little ifi zen stream right now. As I have a DAC that will take a USB feed from it I'm happier that it is just a streamer and the 36/384 and DSD 256 compatibility is more than I need. It also seems to be a jack of enough trades that it would be a great Roon bridge, if I ever went back, but is also a great tidal/qobuz/Apple Music option

hmmmmmmm

Digital guru's, I have a question. I picked up a Marantz UD 5007 a while back to play CDs and SACD's, love it, sounds great. With it being an older unit (2013-ish) with an older internal DAC (and only HDMI and Analog outputs), can an HDMI audio extractor (HDMI in > Toslink/Coax out) be used to incorporate an external DAC to the chain and theoretically improve the sound quality?

Honestly, after owning several DACs and CD players at various price points and vintages, I’ve come to the conclusion that DACs sound the same. Every time I believe that a new DAC makes a difference, if I take the time to level match the outputs, they sound the same again. Louder (i.e. higher output) DACs sound better at first, but then sound the same at the same volume. Yes, you can probably buy a really crappy DAC that sounds bad, but it almost has to be intentional.

My oldest DAC is a 20 year old Bryston BP25DA. It sounds the same as my year-old Topping D70s. Where there can be genuine differences is in the I/O features - Bluetooth, USB, Toslink, balanced outputs, etc. and some formats like MQA.

I would not say phonostages, turntables and cartridges sound the same, but the differences between “DAC signatures” seem negligible to nonexistent to me. I really wanted a different outcome, but that’s what I’ve experienced.

So, buying a DAC that is theoretically, and possibly measurably, better is likely to be an exercise in mind over materiality.

Digital guru's, I have a question. I picked up a Marantz UD 5007 a while back to play CDs and SACD's, love it, sounds great. With it being an older unit (2013-ish) with an older internal DAC (and only HDMI and Analog outputs), can an HDMI audio extractor (HDMI in > Toslink/Coax out) be used to incorporate an external DAC to the chain and theoretically improve the sound quality?

Yes. But. Bear in mind it can’t pass the SACD layer of any SACDs you have out to a DAC due to the DRM that goes hand in hand with SACDs.

Honestly, after owning several DACs and CD players at various price points and vintages, I’ve come to the conclusion that DACs sound the same. Every time I believe that a new DAC makes a difference, if I take the time to level match the outputs, they sound the same again. Louder (i.e. higher output) DACs sound better at first, but then sound the same at the same volume. Yes, you can probably buy a really crappy DAC that sounds bad, but it almost has to be intentional.

My oldest DAC is a 20 year old Bryston BP25DA. It sounds the same as my year-old Topping D70s. Where there can be genuine differences is in the I/O features - Bluetooth, USB, Toslink, balanced outputs, etc. and some formats like MQA.

I would not say phonostages, turntables and cartridges sound the same, but the differences between “DAC signatures” seem negligible to nonexistent to me. I really wanted a different outcome, but that’s what I’ve experienced.

So, buying a DAC that is theoretically, and possibly measurably, better is likely to be an exercise in mind over materiality.
I have the Ares Denafrips and I can pretty confidently say that it’s different sounding to the other DACs I have had. Probably due to the R2R ladder instead of just different chips. I don’t notice a huge difference with other DACs though when the main difference is simply which chip they use

I’m sure this has been asked before, but we just bought a house and would like to listen to records in different parts of the house. I’m looking for recommendations how to play vinyl through Bluetooth speakers and also play through wired speakers without having to change my TT between systems. We also would like the option to stream pandora and Spotify and our digital music through the same system. I’m sure Sonos can do it but I’m not entirely sure how the process works.

I currently just have a two channel system with my AT-LP 120 TT and an old 80’s Sony Receiver with wired speakers. I use the phono stage through the receiver but I know the TT has a (crappy) pre-amp that I’ve used before. I’m looking to stay under $1000 if possible or at least right around that mark. I’d also like the ability to upgrade my wired speakers and TT at some point.

Back