The Crate Digging & Bargain Bin Finds Thread

I walked into the Salvation Army store one day and found a incredible Jazz guitar lp collection and many Pablo jazz albums. Giddy stuff. Most were marked with the name of the previous owner and when I researched who this was I found it was a local guitar teacher who had unfortunately passed away. I felt obligated to send the family a note thanking them for their gift and made a donation to there selected charity when I heard back from them.

I think dealers/collectors have "in's" at most of the thrift stores now for albums and hifi gear unfortunately.

I get a laugh when I see someone with their discogs app open on there phone at yard sale or thrift store. Really man ? :unsure:
I’ll be honest I open the discogs app to look up obscure stuff I find to see if it’d be in my wheelhouse. Many bands don’t have Wiki pages that I can quickly scour so discogs becomes the closest thing to learning about the album.

Now of course I do blind buys sometimes on the strength of the album art.

I walked into the Salvation Army store one day and found a incredible Jazz guitar lp collection and many Pablo jazz albums. Giddy stuff. Most were marked with the name of the previous owner and when I researched who this was I found it was a local guitar teacher who had unfortunately passed away. I felt obligated to send the family a note thanking them for their gift and made a donation to there selected charity when I heard back from them.

I think dealers/collectors have "in's" at most of the thrift stores now for albums and hifi gear unfortunately.

I get a laugh when I see someone with their discogs app open on there phone at yard sale or thrift store. Really man ? :unsure:

I’ll totally have the app open mostly to check to see if I choose not to get something how pricy it’ll be if my FOMO doesn’t get the better of me. So, guilty as charged, I look like a total dweeb doing it to be fair.

I’ll put a group of my favorite recent grabs together soon. Nothing truly insane but a few classics and my introduction to Grover Washington Jr which has been a real treat

i imagine this is a niche position but nothing makes me happier than finding a clean copy of a great record for $1, jacket or no jacket. for some reason i’ve done very well with sleeveless LPs in the dollar bins lately—this month i came up on perfectly playable copies of “terror twilight” (only pavement LP i was missing! still kinda sucks 😆), jon hassell’s “aka/darbari/java,” screamin’ jay hawkins’ “frenzy” and “screamin’ the blues,” the incredible “2131 south michigan avenue” 3lp garage comp, and some everly brothers uk “hidden gems” comps, either sleeveless or in water-damaged covers, for $1 each. as long as they sound good, i’ll make my own covers!

(that said, if anyone has spare covers of any of the above, my dms are open 😜

I’ll be honest I open the discogs app to look up obscure stuff I find to see if it’d be in my wheelhouse. Many bands don’t have Wiki pages that I can quickly scour so discogs becomes the closest thing to learning about the album.

Now of course I do blind buys sometimes on the strength of the album art.
I go to the record shop to relax :giggle:, so I never pull my phone out unless its important

Gosh, too many to count/assemble into a group photo...
How about a few a week ?

Found this in $1 bin on the sidewalk outside of a record store in 2019. I bought it because it had Keith Whitley and I could never find anything by him. Maybe not too impressive but I was happy!

I’ll totally have the app open mostly to check to see if I choose not to get something how pricy it’ll be if my FOMO doesn’t get the better of me. So, guilty as charged, I look like a total dweeb doing it to be fair.

I’ll put a group of my favorite recent grabs together soon. Nothing truly insane but a few classics and my introduction to Grover Washington Jr which has been a real treat
I open the app sometimes to sample the music. All my locals stopped having the decks set up with headphones due to COVID

I'm setting my own personal rule that anything $5 and under qualifies here just to avoid flooding the thread. This batch was from a couple weekends back at four a piece. Brought home a total of 12, some of which didn't hit, one of which had a defective record (bad on me), but these six and a few others really made the trip worth it at $4 per - given that this place often has very...well loved records, the condition on the discs was a very pleasant surprise

PXL_20220215_152507932.MP.jpg

dang, $4 veedon fleece is a score. been looking for a copy under $20 for a while now to no avail
I found my Veedon Fleece at a flea market last summer (I think), I remember it was only $3. And no name on the cover. I never see that LP out in the wild, and rarely in record shop bins.

I don't have them anymore, but I found these all for $3 each at a flea market last year, all from the same guy. All were VG visually but played really well, especially the Dorham.

Back