The Blue Note Thread

Honestly man, I hear it too.. I put up a post from Hoffman in this thread that has two different clips of two different Black Fire pressings at the same moment and I really can hear the difference. I even hunted down a different BF reissue that wasn't too egregiously expensive just because I'm so curious. Haven't gotten it yet though but I'll post again when it arrives.

In the meantime, I'm doing this:
View attachment 16977

Liberty pressing on the left with VANGELDER stamps, MM pressing on the right. I got the BN80 coming too just for the hell of it.

My thoughts after the first track of the Liberty? It's much more pleasant sounding. The harsh horns in the Egyptian on the MM press are way tamer on the Liberty. Gotta listen again for more. Not sure why in doing this. Fun, I guess??
MM 45 or 33?

Does the Black Fire detuning happen in the last song? I think i caught it last listen, sounded like it defined and then tuned back again. Honestly sounded cool

I think it's supposed to be all over the place. The problem is, I don't have another copy to compare it to. I guess I could stream it.... but what's the fun in that???

I hear it in Black Fire. I hear it in Corea As well but honestly I couldn’t care less. It is fleeting, jarring for a second but the rest sounds so good it pales into insignificance. I must have lost the memo that vinyl ever prescribed to be anything other than an imperfect medium. Long live Tone Poets.

Agreed. I don’t participate over there but it is always my go to to try to find out what sources were used for specific pressings or how some obscure blue note reissue sounds. It is a valuable resource to have but I’m in the same boat as you—my ear isn’t super critical and I haven’t noticed the Black Fire issue. I also don’t want to listen to what the issue is because that’s all I will hear when I spin it haha. People really get into it over there on some threads though so I just avoid those.

The main problem with the Hoffman forum is that people can’t just voice their opinions or ask questions and leave it at that. I’ve been there for years and things always devolve. There’s always a contingent that wants to insult you for daring to have a different opinion. I’ve vowed to never participate in a hip hop thread there because it’s always full of nonsense.

Back to Tone Poet, it’s probably been deleted, but one guy in the thread said he feels personally deceived by Joe Harley, called him a liar, and then said Blue Note was a shady operation. I dunno man, I feel like that’s a bit harsh because of some piano warble. Another guy questioned Kevin Gray’s rig. Kevin Gray!

Yeah, I wish everything was flawless, but if a record is giving you this much grief, then ask for a refund and move on. Some of these guys just take things way too far...lol

33, not a fan of 45s in general.

I think I'm with you. The obsessive nerd in me wants to like the 45s better because more space for the dynamics or whatever. But, if I'm being honest, I prefer the 33s. I came into the MMJ game way late and it's been confusing to navigate the different releases. I thought I finally got my mind wrapped around the conventional wisdom that the 33s were notable because Kevin Gray had re-cabled Cohearant Audio but then Ron Rambach told me that the Indestructible 45 was made with the new cables, so now I'm as confused as ever!

I think I'm with you. The obsessive nerd in me wants to like the 45s better because more space for the dynamics or whatever. But, if I'm being honest, I prefer the 33s. I came into the MMJ game way late and it's been confusing to navigate the different releases. I thought I finally got my mind wrapped around the conventional wisdom that the 33s were notable because Kevin Gray had re-cabled Cohearant Audio but then Ron Rambach told me that the Indestructible 45 was made with the new cables, so now I'm as confused as ever!

I'm very skeptical of the cabling claim. Not that they didn't re-cable, but that the new cabling made such a big difference for him. I can't help but have the fact that Harley is the owner of a cable company in the back of my mind whenever they talk about that. That's probably just my tinfoil hat talking, though.

For me, it's a format thing. I agree with you that the obsessive neurotic nerd in my wants to like 45s for the same reason, but I just hate flipping the side every 10 minutes. I listen to records a lot because i work from home, but I can't get up every 10 minutes to flip. Which means I'd only listen to 45s on days I'm doing close listening outside of work hours.... which is basically never with a 2yo and a 1month old.

Just got this in the mail. Won't get a chance to spin it until most likely Sunday, but I was surprised by the heft of the package. According to UPS, it was around 8 pounds.

EEY5BKOWkAAbTJo.jpg

EEY5BKNWwAAbx3E.jpg

EEY5BKNXkAADkQH.jpg

All this talk reminds me of the tape error in Bill Evans Live at the village vanguard. The first time I heard that album was on vinyl. I thought it was a fault in the record I bought. I cleaned that record so many times. but when I heard it streaming and was like oh I shouldn’t be so obsessed with that fault.

Edit: Sunday at the...

You know , just put on a record and give it a spin and enjoy it for what it is .

Sometimes I feel this way when I look at the dank rabbitnhole of madness that is Hoffman. I see my future and it is ugly.

But I enjoy discussing this crap in a forum that's specifically meant for discussing these things. I think it's fun. So let us enjoy our obsessive nerddom and we won't come into your house and kick your dog like Joe Harley.

Just got this in the mail. Won't get a chance to spin it until most likely Sunday, but I was surprised by the heft of the package. According to UPS, it was around 8 pounds.

EEY5BKOWkAAbTJo.jpg

EEY5BKNWwAAbx3E.jpg

EEY5BKNXkAADkQH.jpg

Post more pictures!!

Yeah ok bitch away , you’re the one complaining not me. If you want an ugly future you’re on your own.
Sometimes I feel this way when I look at the dank rabbitnhole of madness that is Hoffman. I see my future and it is ugly.

But I enjoy discussing this crap in a forum that's specifically meant for discussing these things. I think it's fun. So let us enjoy our obsessive nerddom and we won't come into your house and kick your dog like Joe Harley.

Post more pictures!!

Preorders are up on amazon for what might be the batch of BN80's I've been most anticipating...

Just won a Japanese copy of Lee Morgan's Candy in mono on eBay for a nice price.

I gave up on eBay a few years ago because I got in to too many bidding wars for now reason other than FOMO. Figured I would try something different (for myself). Enter my max bid about 48hrs ahead and have all my eBay notifications skip the inbox and go right to the folder so to avoid the "YOU MIGHT GET OUTBID" hype emails.

EEY5BKOWkAAbTJo.jpg

EEY5BKNWwAAbx3E.jpg

EEY5BKNXkAADkQH.jpg
Its such a lovely package. I didnt get the first one, but know there was a lot of complaints about the actual lack of music compared with this 2nd one. The linograpghs are superb as well, Im still looking for somewhere to hang them!!!

Listening to my VMP copy of Freedom Rider right now and really love it. Anyone have any thoughts about the mastering on this vs the KG reissues? I think it's interesting VMP went with Sterling over Cohearent, I wonder if it was just a workload thing, KG too busy with the BN80/TP releases to fit this in or something.

Back