The Blue Note Thread

I fell down the Hoffman rabbit hole today and now I'm listening to my Andrew Hill Black Fire TP... and I swear I hear the warbling now. Particularly after someone posted a clip of a different pressing/version without the issue next to the same bit from the TP version. Am I crazy? Does anyone else hear this?

I don't want to open a can of worms here, I'm mostly just curious if anyone else is hearing it or not. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter all that much, I know. The fact that there are beautiful sounding BN reissues that are genuinely AAA in great packaging for affordable prices is really all that's important.

I actually made the mistake of replying to the thread😵 Never again.

Just streaming some of the SAM stuff .....my bank manger is going to hate me. The Clark Terry sounds fantastic, Byrd is a no brainer.

not to mention the BN80's to catch up on, my £100 + Pure pleasure basket that I keep on holding of committing to, and my need for the very overpriced new Morricone comp & equally overpriced impending Yazz Ahmed.

There is so much stuff to buy, we are truly spoiled.

Just streaming some of the SAM stuff .....my bank manger is going to hate me. The Clark Terry sounds fantastic, Byrd is a no brainer.
As I regularly say on here, Sam records is one of my favorite reissue labels. The Monk record they reissued is one of my best sounding records. I also have a few Chet Baker reissues, the Nathan Davis live in Paris and the John Lewis/Sacha Distel record. The Byrd part 1 is next since I own Volume 2 already.

I have all the TP's so far (I really need to stop), but pre-ordered the latest 2 from Amazon.CA, just got a message to expect delivery in October or November
I got the same email late last week about the the Turrentine TP, but then got shipping notice on Sunday. I think all that I have received from Amazon.ca have actually shipped out of New Jersey. So a good chance it will ship soon for you

As I regularly say on here, Sam records is one of my favorite reissue labels. The Monk record they reissued is one of my best sounding records. I also have a few Chet Baker reissues, the Nathan Davis live in Paris and the John Lewis/Sacha Distel record. The Byrd part 1 is next since I own Volume 2 already.

I've not purchased any yet, but feel very much like this is a new rabbit hole for me, I think think this could be my new favourite label.

I caved and got both the Byrds when Sam first came up. Shipping from France is rough though, probably can only go back if there are a few things I want, just to make shipping palatable.

I caved and got both the Byrds when Sam first came up. Shipping from France is rough though, probably can only go back if there are a few things I want, just to make shipping palatable.

I'm in England, so it probably not too bad. Pure Pleasure seem to stock them as well. But don't tell anyone until I've caught up with my purchases ;)

I'm in England, so it probably not too bad. Pure Pleasure seem to stock them as well. But don't tell anyone until I've caught up with my purchases ;)

I actually just saw that Acoustic Sounds carries them... but it's actually cheaper to go direct. AS prices them at like $40 which is ~$10 more than the direct price... so after shipping it's slightly cheaper to get it from them if you get more than one.

Just saw Joe Harley recommend this Blue Note doc from 2018. It looks to be really good. He says it focuses more on early Blue Note up to 1970 without anything about more modern stuff.

Thanks for this, I love this kind of stuff so certainly check it out!

On a side note, I just posted the below to the jazz thread, you guys might find it interesting:

I read the first couple chapters of Art Pepper's Autobiography, 'Straight Life', on my commute to work this morning.......holy moly that guy had a rough life. The intro sets the book out and its got me really excited to get to specific events. The first chapter goes through his upbringing, which was super super tough.

Its an interesting format as well. Pepper basically talked to his wife, who recorded the conversation and then transcribed it/cleaned it up into the book format. At the beginning of the book is a glossary of everyone that gets a mention, as well as a short couple of sentences about who they are. This is useful as between chapter 1 and 2 (and presumably throughout the book) there are direct interviews with these people, who answer questions and provide anecdotes directly associated to the chapters they follow.

All in all, fantastic stuff so far. Looking forward to the rest.

Just saw Joe Harley recommend this Blue Note doc from 2018. It looks to be really good. He says it focuses more on early Blue Note up to 1970 without anything about more modern stuff.

This looks great. I'm also planning to watch the other Blue Note documentary that recently released, so it will be interesting to compare the two.

Back