The Blue Note Thread

Its such a lovely package. I didnt get the first one, but know there was a lot of complaints about the actual lack of music compared with this 2nd one. The linograpghs are superb as well, Im still looking for somewhere to hang them!!!

I’ll be framing the lithographs later in the week.

Yesterday’s arrivals! Won an AP 45 version of Workout on eBay as the only bidder. And won a copy of Down Beat’s Jazz Record Reviews vol 5. And VMP package got delivered. Had to re-sign up for 1 month to grab the Blakey.

View attachment 17352
I cant tell you how jealous I am of that Downbeat book! Im going to have to start hunting properly online I think!

I cant tell you how jealous I am of that Downbeat book! Im going to have to start hunting properly online I think!
I think I ended up paying almost $50 for it shipped, but it is in pretty perfect condition and I had some eBay bucks to cut the price down a little. The only other copies on eBay that I saw are going for $90+. I want to swing by Jazz Record Center in NYC to see if they have any others...might get to that on Saturday.

I think I ended up paying almost $50 for it shipped, but it is in pretty perfect condition and I had some eBay bucks to cut the price down a little. The only other copies on eBay that I saw are going for $90+. I want to swing by Jazz Record Center in NYC to see if they have any others...might get to that on Saturday.
BTW - when I was there in January I picked up a copy of "Blue Note Records: A Guide for Indentifying Original Pressings" by Frederick Cohen who either owns the place or works there. It's published by the Jazz Record Center and not available anywhere else as far as I can tell.

Given your deep dive into Blue Notes, you might find it helpful.

Here's a review (The Jazz Record Center site is maddeningly slow).

BTW - when I was there in January I picked up a copy of "Blue Note Records: A Guide for Indentifying Original Pressings" by Frederick Cohen who either owns the place or works there. It's published by the Jazz Record Center and not available anywhere else as far as I can tell.

Yea--I was there a few weeks ago and almost picked that one up. I'll have to check it out again when I get there next. I have quite a backlog of reading now! It was an interesting shop for sure. Can't tell how much I loved it or not? The selection was weirdly underwhelming for me and I think I was expecting more in the way of used older records instead of so many new records. And the "used" section also had tons of new stuff in it like AP pressings. I definitely feel like it's the type of place that gets in tons of good stuff at random times though and want to go back. I want to look at the books a bit more too.

Yea--I was there a few weeks ago and almost picked that one up. I'll have to check it out again when I get there next. I have quite a backlog of reading now! It was an interesting shop for sure. Can't tell how much I loved it or not? The selection was weirdly underwhelming for me and I think I was expecting more in the way of used older records instead of so many new records. And the "used" section also had tons of new stuff in it like AP pressings. I definitely feel like it's the type of place that gets in tons of good stuff at random times though and want to go back. I want to look at the books a bit more too.
I'm pretty sure the owner lives in a unit just off that main entry/book area.

I've been after that for ages, I always have an alert on ebay and a few other pages. Its one that gets referenced a lot of blogs etc, but it seems to be US only.

I've been after that for ages, I always have an alert on ebay and a few other pages. Its one that gets referenced a lot of blogs etc, but it seems to be US only.
As I think I mentioned in the past, I head over to London probably once a year now at least to see my gf's family, so I can always try to pick one up for ya next time I head over! Ironically, I just end up using London Jazz Collector's site to identify pressings.

As I think I mentioned in the past, I head over to London probably once a year now at least to see my gf's family, so I can always try to pick one up for ya next time I head over! Ironically, I just end up using London Jazz Collector's site to identify pressings.
Yeah I remember you did offer that, thanks so much again! I'm like you at the moment though, swamped with jazz books. I actually have 4 lined up already, plus 2 reference books. I've been tempted by a pricy Down Beat book (way over what I would ever pay) but I know it's going to be months before I even get to read it!

FYI if you havent read Art Peppers autobiography I thoroughly recommend it. Just superb so far!

Yeah I remember you did offer that, thanks so much again! I'm like you at the moment though, swamped with jazz books. I actually have 4 lined up already, plus 2 reference books. I've been tempted by a pricy Down Beat book (way over what I would ever pay) but I know it's going to be months before I even get to read it!

FYI if you havent read Art Peppers autobiography I thoroughly recommend it. Just superb so far!
That one is on the ever-growing list as well haha. I need to listen to more of his music as well.

This was exactly my experience. I expected there to be all sorts of rarer Jazz pressings, but it was mainly new reissues such as BN75. But then there would also be the odd AP, Classic or King record, seemingly promising greener pastures. I think you are probably right in that they will have great stuff at random times and for the rest will be stocked with more standard fare.

This was exactly my experience. I expected there to be all sorts of rarer Jazz pressings, but it was mainly new reissues such as BN75. But then there would also be the odd AP, Classic or King record, seemingly promising greener pastures. I think you are probably right in that they will have great stuff at random times and for the rest will be stocked with more standard fare.
They had TONS of stuff underneath the cabinets. Opened one cabinet and there were some early presses of Lou Donaldson and tons of copies of different records but I was too chicken to ask if those were for sale haha. I feel like if you have an old Blue Note with a really crappy sleeve, that is probably the place that would have an extra sleeve lying around to sell to you though.

Soon to be framed. Art Blakey and Elvin Jones lithographs.

EEtjewPXoAAtHwf.jpg

They had TONS of stuff underneath the cabinets. Opened one cabinet and there were some early presses of Lou Donaldson and tons of copies of different records but I was too chicken to ask if those were for sale haha. I feel like if you have an old Blue Note with a really crappy sleeve, that is probably the place that would have an extra sleeve lying around to sell to you though.

I completely missed there being records in cabinets underneath. But that was probably for the best, because I went to like 5 different record shops on that day and spent way too much.

I completely missed there being records in cabinets underneath. But that was probably for the best, because I went to like 5 different record shops on that day and spent way too much.
They had sliding doors so I didn’t notice at first either. I don’t think it was stuff that was for sale yet. Some duplicates of things that were in the bins and others that weren’t priced yet. I might ask when I go back what the deal is with those records because it seemed like there was some better stuff in there than was in the bins (or at least more of what I was looking for).

Back