The Blue Note Thread

Okay guys I posted this over on the Hoffman forums, but perhaps some people here can also offer me some advice.

I'm planning a big Music Matters order (only way to make the shipping to Europe palatable on a per record price). Currently I'm about $100 over budget and need help choosing which ones to drop. There is a couple of records I'm certainly getting, but a few I'm still in doubt over. Basically I can divide the records I'm still debating into two price groups. One is 35-40 and one is 60. I need to drop one more expensive record and one cheaper record to get on budget.

Cheap ($35-40)
Donald Byrd - The Cat Walk
Elvin Jones - Puttin' It Together
Dizzy Reece - Star Bright
Johnny Griffin - The Congregation

Expensive (60)
Grant Green - Solid (SRX)
Hank Mobley - Quintet (SRX)

Is there any of these I can skip for now, for whatever reason? Perhaps there are other good pressings of some of these titles that are readily available or maybe the sonics on one of these is relatively lacking (for Music Matters standards)? Or maybe one or two of these sessions musically don't hold up to the others?

Any help would be appreciated!
Elvin Jones is cheap and hangs around I doubt the resale will go up much on that title. Drop. Hard between those expensive titles; both are fantastic. If you want a blowing session get Mobley, if you want a more relaxed session go with Solid.

Last edited:
Elvin Jones is cheap and hangs around I doubt the resale will go up much on that title. Drop. Hard between those expensive titles; both are fantastic. If you want a blowing session get Mobley, if you want a more relaxed session go with Solid.

Thanks for your advice. I actually ended up dropping the two more expensive ones (Solid and Mobley), because I figured that they would be easier to track down later due to them existing on two formats (srx and 45). Also I already have tons of Grant Green here and there are so many Mobley records out there, so felt like I could skip them for now.

Giant list of Blue Note and other jazz pressings up now on Carolina Soul's ebay page. Make sure to double-check the grading because they often have G or G+ records for sale still but they have some really amazing titles available.

Probably will go for a lot...but @Dark Star Boogie this one's for you:
Bookmarked this one a few days ago. Thankfully it ends after payday this Friday so that’ll help me financially.

Always appreciate the tags. ✌️

Bookmarked this one a few days ago. Thankfully it ends after payday this Friday so that’ll help me financially.

Always appreciate the tags. ✌
I can almost never end up affording the Carolina Soul stuff but used to buy from them on the regular. I think they are one of the more popular ebay sellers now sadly. Some of the stuff they have up this time is insane. Haven't seen so many of the Mosaic box sets in one place before and seems like a lot of their other BN or Prestige stuff is in great shape.

I can almost never end up affording the Carolina Soul stuff but used to buy from them on the regular. I think they are one of the more popular ebay sellers now sadly. Some of the stuff they have up this time is insane. Haven't seen so many of the Mosaic box sets in one place before and seems like a lot of their other BN or Prestige stuff is in great shape.
Yeah, shouldn’t have even looked through the other listings. There’s some great stuff on there for sure.
oh nice, time to fill up my watch list with records I'll fail to buy!
Hahaha, seems like I repeat this same cycle every few weeks or so.

Instead of trying to win like 10 different auctions I should just pick one records I REALLY want and actually try to spend the money for it.

Not as fun but...
The thing about losing one is it’s just sort of a disappoint, but losing a bunch makes you a little more positive...almost as if it’s a blessing sent down by the Wallet Gods.

Almost a moment of clarity for your financial recklessness. 🤣

The thing about losing one is it’s just sort of a disappoint, but losing a bunch makes you a little more positive...almost as if it’s a blessing sent down by the Wallet Gods.

Almost a moment of clarity for your financial recklessness. 🤣

Especially when you lose by a dollar. That means there was only one person out there willing to outbid you at that price, and there are definitely more than few people watching these auctions lol....

Especially when you lose by a dollar. That means there was only one person out there willing to outbid you at that price, and there are definitely more than few people watching these auctions lol....
That’s what sets me off. Was about to score the last 60’s Shorter Blue Note I need about three weeks back. And last 3 seconds I was sniped and lost by $1! Man, I was pissed.

Got an OG pressing of Lee Morgan Cornbread on ebay for $8 shipped and the seller randomly refunded my money and won't respond to messages. Sadly, I now see that there is all sorts of new feedback saying that the seller is just cancelling orders after they are won without sending anything...the good news is that I also have the Tone Poet and it sounds phenomenal...was just happy that I might have had a really good score :cry:

Spinning a few MMJ's I already own to hype myself up even more for my new order that is coming (as if it's really necessary). On the table right now is Grant Green - Matador (45). What an incredible album. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it: Grant, at the very least, gives John a run for his money on My Favourite Things.
DSC_0041.JPG

Just a quick PSA that the new Tone Poet (9/6) and BN80 (9/13) presales have gone up on Amazon:

Donald Byrd - Chant $35
Stanley Turrentine - Hustlin' $35
Kenny Dorham - Una Mas $25

Direct links available via the 2019-20 Jazz Reissues (N&G) spreadsheet.
Una Mas is great. I was lucky to score an OG at a local record show for cheap last year.

Back