The Blue Note Thread

Im about to pull the trigger on the Ornette Boxset. I like New York is Now and Golden Circle, but Im not as familiar with the rest of records on the set. I know theyre not essential Ornette, but would y'all say the set is still worth it for around 160 usd?
Update: I just played NYIN, and man, I was blown away. Tone Poets sounding great is no news at this point, but I was still surprised by how much pressence the bass has, and how crisp and detailed the drums sound. This could be one of the best sounding records in my collection, and needless to say the music is top notch too!

This was shared over on the Definitive Audiophile thread but thought some of you guys might have missed it.

Main takeaways RE Blue Train:
- Aiming to be released in September for his anniversary.
- AAA Mono and Stereo (2 stereo's as a set with the mono as a separate release)
- PLUS a bonus LP of unreleased recordings.

Just goes to show that you shouldn't always listen to the views of strangers online. I saw someone on the Hoffman thread get blasted for suggesting there might be unreleased recordings by someone that "knew for certain" it wouldn't happen.

Last edited:
This was shared over on the Definitive Audiophile thread but thought some of you guys might have missed it.

Main takeaways RE Blue Train:
- Aiming to be released in September for his anniversary.
- AAA Mono and Stereo (2 stereo's as a set with the mono as a separate release)
- PLUS a bonus album of unreleased recordings.

Just goes to show that you shouldn't always listen to the views of strangers online. I saw someone on the Hoffman thread get blasted for suggesting there might be unreleased recordings by someone that "knew for certain" it wouldn't happen.

Excellent news. I’ll be picking up the mono for sure, to replace my lifeless BN75 pressing (I don’t hate all my BN75s, but that one is particularly weak).

Picked up McLean Destination Out for $20 on and a scratch/dent Turrentine Rough N Tumble $31 on Elusivedisc

Looks like these are getting favorable feedback here.
Looking forward to spinning these.

Reactions: .Z.
Its pretty incredible isn't it. There hasn't been such a good quality, decently pressed, affordable series that I can think of to match it.
Surely not in a long while, but I've discovered some high-quality pressings from King and Toshiba in Japan, both of whom apparently initiated Blue Note reissue series at various times from the 70's through the '90s. I think some of the latter among those had a digital step in the process, but everything I've listened to from those series sounds great.

Surely not in a long while, but I've discovered some high-quality pressings from King and Toshiba in Japan, both of whom apparently initiated Blue Note reissue series at various times from the 70's through the '90s. I think some of the latter among those had a digital step in the process, but everything I've listened to from those series sounds great.

Very true! I have a fair stack of the Toshiba/King releases, I actually bought 2 Dizzy Reece and a Freddie Hubbard last week and they are fantastic!

The King pressings edge the Toshiba slightly for me, but really they are both great.

Back