The Blue Note Thread

Was just that album mentioned or other upcoming Tone Poets as well?

It's good Some Other Stuff will be available again – it's definitely worthy of renewed attention.
Only that one. Joe supposedly gave the okay to reveal that they are doing it on account of Grachan sadly passing away and seeing an outpouring of people mentioning his work

Some Other Stuff will be getting the Tone Poet treatment thankfully! Won’t be for awhile though but a friend of Joe’s announced it today. Harley hasn’t mastered it yet though
Damn, thankfully! Even if it won’t be released for a good while, I will take it off my Discogs wantlist. I’ve had it on the list for a long time, but there are no bargains on that record, and i want it on vinyl. I have Evolution MMJ, and it’s sublime and should be a fantastic Classics release.

So I guess this means no box set. I thought they said there was something special about the release (other than it being a Music Matters Title)
People in the know have said the special thing about it hasn’t been revealed yet. I sort of wonder if they will do a mono/stereo double release like Rhino did with My Favorite Things. Either way will be excited to see what they have up their sleeves. People have said that it being mono is not the special aspect of the release.

Has anyone picked up the latest TP's? Gerald Wilson & Freddie Hubbard?
I have Freddie on order. Been hearing rave reviews about Gerald but have spent way too much lately…I’ll try to hold out on that one until there’s a bigger sale. It wasn’t included in the Udiscover sale annoyingly.

A few people I know like the Wlson, it's a larger ensemble/arrangements. I have passed/will stream for now.

This Hubbard is not a Hubbard I was looking for. Adventurous playing/compositions though if your looking for that IMHO.
Looks like @hatfieldpdx just spun his if he cares to comment ?

Last edited:
I haven't. I know some of the Classics have repeated titles originally done at MMJ, but I feel like Blue Train is going to be the first Tone Poet that was originally done at Music Matters. I've thought about picking up one or two of the Classics to compare with the MMJ versions, but... I'm pretty happy with the MMJ pressings of those albums already, especially the SRX titles, so I'm not sure it's necessarily worth the trouble.

If they're doing Blue Train as a box set set with other Coltrane Blue Note material, though, I'll have zero hesitation in picking that up and comparing the two!
Yes you’re right it would be the first repeat. Mixed up the classics and TPs! So many titles and reissues these days. I missed out on the MMJ or blue train but have the classic records pressing so I’ll probably double dip!

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but it seems likely they'd do a standard single LP Tone Poet reissue for anyone who just wants a copy of the album, plus some kind of larger limited edition package for those looking to do a deeper dive.

Someone speculated earlier in the thread about a box set including Sonny's Crib, A Blowing Session, Whims of Chambers, High Step, and Chamber's Music, and I still think that sounds just about perfect.

(y)
My guess is a double Mono Lp set, with outtakes/alternative versions lp, and a book or something along that lines in the $50-60 range.

Following up on a prompt from @JohnnyCashFan, I can confirm that Breaking Point is outstanding. Such a great session and hard to imagine how this pressing could sound any better. I'm already on my third spin.

Suffice to say, the list of Tone Poets that I prefer is short and seemingly dwindling with each listen.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but it seems likely they'd do a standard single LP Tone Poet reissue for anyone who just wants a copy of the album, plus some kind of larger limited edition package for those looking to do a deeper dive.

Someone speculated earlier in the thread about a box set including Sonny's Crib, A Blowing Session, Whims of Chambers, High Step, and Chamber's Music, and I still think that sounds just about perfect.
Yea I think I speculated that and maybe it’s wishful thinking. I love the Ornette box set though. Would welcome a Coltrane as a sideman box.

(y)
My guess is a double Mono Lp set, with outtakes/alternative versions lp, and a book or something along that lines in the $50-60 range.
We’ll see! I think that would be quite disappointing. I personally really dislike outtakes on vinyl. I have some of the “complete” Mosaic box sets on vinyl and find them to be a slog to listen to.

The videos from Don Was make Blue Train seem like a regular sized Tone Poet.

(y)
Blue Train was done in a single session. So, don't expect any new material beyond what has already been released. The title track was done in 9 takes, the master take is a composite, so the take used for the piano solo in the matser take is gone - cutting floor. There are two complete takes, but unfortunately they detract, not add. The others are breakdowns of one sort or another. There are two alternate Lazy Birds, one with Coltrane's solo edited out. It was probably a 3 or 4 hour session - the studio would have been booked for one of a morning or afternoon and given the amount of time spent on getting a good take of the title track, and less, but still several tries at Moment's Notice, the session time is pretty much used up.

As a cohesive album, the original is as good as it gets. Why bother with very inferior alternates that nobody ever wanted released when the original is the one that counts?

Even a 'Coltrane on BN' type box doesn't work. The jam session material he was on as a sideman isn't near up to the Blue Train material. Again, it just places the masterpiece in with the ordinary. That, IMO, does no favors to Blue Train, although it does favor the accountants at Universal.

I have no interest in this as I have the MM 33, which is in mono, which really is the way to go with Blue Train.

My guess - 3LP set. Stereo, Mono, the shitty work takes. Some pics, some not needed words, a nice box, look for it to come in at about $100.

Following up on a prompt from @JohnnyCashFan, I can confirm that Breaking Point is outstanding. Such a great session and hard to imagine how this pressing could sound any better. I'm already on my third spin.

Suffice to say, the list of Tone Poets that I prefer is short and seemingly dwindling with each listen.

Great to hear. I suspect it's almost worth it for the cover art alone.

Well, they've already issued a similar package on CD, but beyond that, I don't know that I'd call Sonny's Crib, Whims of Chambers, or even A Blowing Session "ordinary."
Not to my knowledge. They issued a 'Coltrane as a sideman' package, but it didn't include Blue Train.

Blue Note Re:imagined II out on Sept 30th : Blue Note Re:Imagined, Vol. 2

1654693192223.png

1. Yazz Ahmed - It
2. Conor Albert - You Make Me Feel So Good
3. Parthenope - Don’t Know Why
4. Swindle - Miss Kane
5. Nubiyan Twist - Through The Noise (Chant No.2)
6. Ego Ella May - Morning Side Of Love
7. Oscar Jerome - Green With Envy
8. Daniel Casimir ft. Rita Moran - Lost
9. Theon Cross - Epistrophy
10. Maya Delilah - Harvest Moon
11. Kay Young - Feel Like Making Love
12. Venna & Marco - Where Are We Going
13. Reuben James - Infant Eyes
14. Binker Golding - Fort Worth
15. Cherise - Sunrise
16. Franc Moody - Cristo Redentor

Back