The Blue Note Thread

Blue Train was done in a single session. So, don't expect any new material beyond what has already been released. The title track was done in 9 takes, the master take is a composite, so the take used for the piano solo in the matser take is gone - cutting floor. There are two complete takes, but unfortunately they detract, not add. The others are breakdowns of one sort or another. There are two alternate Lazy Birds, one with Coltrane's solo edited out. It was probably a 3 or 4 hour session - the studio would have been booked for one of a morning or afternoon and given the amount of time spent on getting a good take of the title track, and less, but still several tries at Moment's Notice, the session time is pretty much used up.

As a cohesive album, the original is as good as it gets. Why bother with very inferior alternates that nobody ever wanted released when the original is the one that counts?

Even a 'Coltrane on BN' type box doesn't work. The jam session material he was on as a sideman isn't near up to the Blue Train material. Again, it just places the masterpiece in with the ordinary. That, IMO, does no favors to Blue Train, although it does favor the accountants at Universal.

I have no interest in this as I have the MM 33, which is in mono, which really is the way to go with Blue Train.

My guess - 3LP set. Stereo, Mono, the shitty work takes. Some pics, some not needed words, a nice box, look for it to come in at about $100.

You ever thought about doing a YouTube review channel? There’s this middle aged German guy that I bet you could replace as BN’s main man.

My pops used to buy Test pressings direct from Cuscuna and the Classic Records guys back in the day for like 40 or 50. lol :LOL:
I'm personally not a huge fan of test pressings unless it's an album that never actually got released. I like having the album art and most don't have it.

How do we feel about the likelihood of there being a classic release?
If I was a betting man I’d say they will do it. I think Joe and KG are already working on Tone poets for 2023 and beyond and the Classic series seems very popular. I’d imagine it will go on for a few more years. Wouldn’t be surprised if they make their way through a large majority of the BN catalogue.

The only potential issue is if the tape isn’t in good shape but seems the large majority of the BN catalogue is very well looked after

Have there been any rumours about a repress (classic series or TP) of Empyrean Isles?
Nothing (yet). It won’t be a TP since it was a music matters release
The only recent TP rumor was that Stoughton was printing Nigeria repress jackets. Cornbread made it into a couple stores recently and sold out in a few days, no signs of restocks yet (like Chick Corea) so it may of been leftover stock ?. I'm still hoping for Chet Sings and The Kicker but hope is fading on the former.

The only recent TP rumor was that Stoughton was printing Nigeria repress jackets. Cornbread made it into a couple stores recently and sold out in a few days, no signs of restocks yet (like Chick Corea) so it may of been leftover stock ?. I'm still hoping for Chet Sings and The Kicker.
Empyrean islands won’t be a TP simply because Joe seems to be sticking to his “no retreads” rule for Music Matters titles. Outside of Blue Train of course

The only recent TP rumor was that Stoughton was printing Nigeria repress jackets. Cornbread made it into a couple stores recently and sold out in a few days, no signs of restocks yet (like Chick Corea) so it may of been leftover stock ?. I'm still hoping for Chet Sings and The Kicker but hope is fading on the former.

I definitely look forward to grabbing Nigeria next time it's available. I definitely have some regrets about not doing so last time it was around,

I definitely look forward to grabbing Nigeria next time it's available. I definitely have some regrets about not doing so last time it was around,
I’ve debated selling mine given the crazy prices on that and Chet Baker but am worried that either they won’t end up repressing or the represses will have issues. Someone offered me $150 for Chet on discogs the other week…

Do you think they might be testing the waters with Blue Train? Because I'd love some MM retreads getting the Tone Poet treatment!
Don’t think so from what Joe has said... He said he only is doing Blue Train because something about it is different and special to this TP pressing compared to the MMJ. Seems pretty steadfast about his rule of no retreads sadly. Obviously this could change at some point

Do you think they might be testing the waters with Blue Train? Because I'd love some MM retreads getting the Tone Poet treatment!
Don’t think so from what Joe has said... He said he only is doing Blue Train because something about it is different and special to this TP pressing compared to the MMJ. Seems pretty steadfast about his rule of no retreads sadly. Obviously this could change at some point
As Mike said, Nope. Joe Harley has adamantly said Blue Train is a one off deal.

Im about to pull the trigger on the Ornette Boxset. I like New York is Now and Golden Circle, but Im not as familiar with the rest of records on the set. I know theyre not essential Ornette, but would y'all say the set is still worth it for around 160 usd?

Im about to pull the trigger on the Ornette Boxset. I like New York is Now and Golden Circle, but Im not as familiar with the rest of records on the set. I know theyre not essential Ornette, but would y'all say the set is still worth it for around 160 usd?
That’s what I paid for it and it’s awesome! No regrets.

Don’t sleep on the contemporary Ornette box too though…I might even play that one more so far.

Back