The Blue Note Thread

Poop, I was looking forward to that on. Oh well, still have it on pre-order

Edit: looks like Andrew Hill is pushed as well to May. Wonder if there is going to be a big gap between the next batch (Rajah etc) and these 2 releases?

I wouldn't be super worried about not being able to get it. They will keep these in print for awhile it seems.
My copy of The Real McCoy from the BN store got all bent up in transit. They are replacing it, but according to customer service, it is already backordered so no timeline on when I'll get it.

I just learned that BN is providing me with horrid customer service, served with a dose of "hey, here's us not giving a f-k, sorry!!"

On Nov. 25, I ordered five titles: Byrd (Ethiopian Knights); Morgan (Sidewinder); Tyner (Real McCoy); Silver (Song for My Father); and Shorter (Speak No Evil).

The order confirmation said shipping would be January 15. That day came/went ten days ago, and nothing shipped. I emailed them today to ask what's going on (knowing some are now out of stock even though they were in stock between Nov. 25 and now)

So I asked for what I thought was a reasonable request under the circumstances -- ship the 3 titles currently win stock bc I shouldn't have to keep waiting for all 5 titles due to their inventory issues on 2 of them. They ignored that request altogether, provided no explanation or acknowledgment of the situation and, instead, offered the following: 1611628028322.png

I just learned that BN is providing me with horrid customer service, served with a dose of "hey, here's us not giving a f-k, sorry!!"

On Nov. 25, I ordered five titles: Byrd (Ethiopian Knights); Morgan (Sidewinder); Tyner (Real McCoy); Silver (Song for My Father); and Shorter (Speak No Evil).

The order confirmation said shipping would be January 15. That day came/went ten days ago, and nothing shipped. I emailed them today to ask what's going on (knowing some are now out of stock even though they were in stock between Nov. 25 and now)

So I asked for what I thought was a reasonable request under the circumstances -- ship the 3 titles currently win stock bc I shouldn't have to keep waiting for all 5 titles due to their inventory issues on 2 of them. They ignored that request altogether, provided no explanation or acknowledgment of the situation and, instead, offered the following: View attachment 85320
That’s crazy. I usually avoid buying direct from BN since A) their prices are usually way higher than elsewhere and B) they won’t ship separately if there’s a hold up. I ordered the signed Ambrose Akinmusire album from them and had another album in the same order and they held it and wouldn’t send earlier.

So I asked for what I thought was a reasonable request under the circumstances -- ship the 3 titles currently win stock bc I shouldn't have to keep waiting for all 5 titles due to their inventory issues on 2 of them. They ignored that request altogether, provided no explanation or acknowledgment of the situation and, instead, offered the following: View attachment 85320
And people here say VMP is bad.

From what I've read around here and seen myself, labels have been shitty retailers recently. I'm at the point where I'd significantly hesitate ordering from anywhere else other than one of my usual like 6 places now given terrible CS and stock issues.

And people here say VMP is bad.

From what I've read around here and seen myself, labels have been shitty retailers recently. I'm at the point where I'd significantly hesitate ordering from anywhere else other than one of my usual like 6 places now given terrible CS and stock issues.
Yep. I’m actually okay ordering from UDiscover or Target for stuff like Blue Notes or things that aren’t limited because I know that at least the items are way cheaper than list price. Target also won’t charge until it ships IIRC. If there’s a delay, it doesn’t bother me much because at least I knew I saved a big chunk of money with the sale prices. If I’m paying close to full price on something, it should be held for me if they aren’t going to ship the in stock items at the very least. And they should offer to mail it me the ones they have if the delay is too long. Pushing the order to June is crazy. It will have been over half a year since they took your money.

I got the latest Stevie Ray Vaughan One Step for $86 through The Sound of Vinyl on sale and also had a preorder on the same order that has no release date yet. I was really hoping they would at least hold one aside for me since the other album had no release in sight. I was actually kind of surprised to get a shipping notice for the One Step yesterday in a separate package.

shipping and inventory has been frustrating lately. I ordered a few things from Acoustic Sounds a few weeks ago and when it turned up, one album just wasn’t in there. They didn’t even tell me they cancelled it. It was then listed as out of stock and out of print. A week later when I went to place an order, the album was mysteriously back in stock.

That’s crazy. I usually avoid buying direct from BN since A) their prices are usually way higher than elsewhere and B) they won’t ship separately if there’s a hold up.
Well, I bought them on sale, so I doubt they’re motivated to serve me.

in November, I didn’t mind waiting two months for all of them to ship. That was the original deal I signed up for.

But the circumstances are very different now. I sent them a love letter in response and will call them tomorrow.

I actually wouldn’t mind that much about waiting until June for the titles now out of stock IF they owned their share of responsibility and shipped what’s now in stock. It’s ok (to me) when something goes not as planned, but, in that case, own the part you can own and acknowledge the problem.

I was pretty clear that the reply was completely tone deaf under the circumstances.

Yes, I believe that's correct. Another reason I'm happy with the Classics line. All analog from the master tapes.

I think the EU versions of the BN75 were analog remasters but I could be wrong. I've just seen they're held in higher regard.
I don't think there are any AAA cuts in the BN75. They weren't advertised as such at least. I thought people just preferred the EU ones because they weren't pressed at United.

Please someone correct me if I missed something as that would be great to know.

Damn! Blue Note actually shipped my orders separately which was surprising. I ordered the first four Classics titles all together and received three separate shipments haha! Hopefully you can get it straightened out.

I don't think there are any AAA cuts in the BN75. They weren't advertised as such at least. I thought people just preferred the EU ones because they weren't pressed at United.

I think you’re right. Not AAA but EU were pressed at Optimal and US were URP.

Don Was is quoted in downbeat Feb 2015 that some are from digital transfer of the master tapes and some are from analog , but it seems that there is no list or specific's of which titles , I've got a few with BG or CB in the deadwax that don't sound too bad .

Well, I bought them on sale, so I doubt they’re motivated to serve me.

in November, I didn’t mind waiting two months for all of them to ship. That was the original deal I signed up for.

But the circumstances are very different now. I sent them a love letter in response and will call them tomorrow.

I actually wouldn’t mind that much about waiting until June for the titles now out of stock IF they owned their share of responsibility and shipped what’s now in stock. It’s ok (to me) when something goes not as planned, but, in that case, own the part you can own and acknowledge the problem.

I was pretty clear that the reply was completely tone deaf under the circumstances.
Blue Note has the worst customer service of any e-retailer I've ever dealt with. I ordered a record (1 LP Tone Poet) last March from the Blue Note Store, they sent me the wrong record months later (there was one preorder that held everything up), made me send them a picture of the wrong record, then told me to mail it back if I wanted them to ship me the right record. They were very clear that they wouldn't even put it in the mail until they received the wrong record and had "processed it" for the exchange. Didn't hear anything for months after I returned the record, so I e-mailed them and they said they'd sold out of the record I'd originally ordered - here I was thinking they might set aside a copy for me after all the trouble they'd put me through. They offered me a refund for the price I paid for the record, but wouldn't let me pick a different 1 LP Tone Poet as an exchange because I'd originally paid a discounted price for the one I'd ordered and they were no longer on sale at that price. Luckily, udiscover had that July 30% sale with stacking codes and I was able to pick it up from them for even less than the price I'd originally paid to Blue Note for it.

Does anyone know what's going on with the Paul Chambers "Bass On Top" Tone Poet?

I ordered it from Target back on OCTOBER 11, 2020! It was originally projected to arrive Dec 14-17.

Two months later, on December 11, Target e-mails me to update the delivery date to Dec 25.

A week after that, on December 18, Target e-mails me to update the delivery date to Jan 1 and requires me to approve this new delivery date. I immediately approved the new delivery date.

A week after that, on December 25, Target e-mails me to update the delivery date to Jan 8 and, again, requires me to approve this new delivery date. On Christmas Day, friends, I again immediately approved the new delivery date.

A week after that, on January 1, Target e-mails me to update the delivery date to Jan 15 and, again, requires me to approve this new delivery date. Apparently, I missed that e-mail and failed to approve the delay and new delivery date.

A week after that, on January 8, Target e-mails me to notify me that they are cancelling my order since I didn't approve the delay. I checked to see if I could reorder the record from them but it was no longer available.

I search for the record today, and see that Target now has it posted as a preorder with a release date of Jan 29.

But at this point, I'm just going to wait for it to show up on Plaid Room.

I'm really hoping that they give Ambrose Akinmusire's The Imagined Savior Is Far Easier To Paint the TP treatment. I'd love more of his stuff on vinyl.
I wish they'd press/repress on vinyl a whole load more of their modern stuff eg Nduduzo Makhathini, James Francies - Flight, Takuya Kuroda - Rising Son, Kendrick Scott Oracle etc etc. They've clearly got an amazing vault but they should make sure they don't miss out on the modern scene completely.

I wish they'd press/repress on vinyl a whole load more of their modern stuff eg Nduduzo Makhathini, James Francies - Flight, Takuya Kuroda - Rising Son, Kendrick Scott Oracle etc etc. They've clearly got an amazing vault but they should make sure they don't miss out on the modern scene completely.
They pressing Glasper in the BN80 series made me hope they will do some more "modern" releases. That Ambrose album is impossibly hard to find. Every once in awhile a copy goes up on discogs for $200 which is insane considering it was a BN75.

Back