The Blue Note Thread

There are quite a few Blue Notes that are listed as first pressings, with the same year and info but the only change is the deep grooves (one without, one-side only, both sides), so it might just be that a listing for your specific copy was never made. It's hard to say for sure at just a glance, but looking at the photo you posted it doesnt look like a later pressing. Down With It looks to have only been reissued in 1981 onwards, and yours certainly looks older than that.

On a side note, and this might cause controversy, but I really don't sign up to some of the subtler nuances some people use when distinguishing what is a first pressing and what isn't. A prime example is that in some cases you will have a first pressing with a NYC on one label and New York 23 on the other. I've seen people claim that a copy with the NYC on both labels is to be classed as a second pressing, even in situations where they had just used up all of the old New York 23 labels and moved to the next batch of labels (the label changed in 1958 mid-pressing in some cases). In this case the records literally came from the same batch, but just with a label from a different pile, yet I have seen people flat out refuse to accept they are the same, even going as far as saying the audio quality is different between the 2. Frank Cohen is a legend but even he uses the same level of strictness in some cases.

Thanks for that input. I'm pretty sure that it's a mid 60's release, since the vinyl has the P/ear and Van Gelder stamp in the dead wax, and the matrix numbers match the first press info on Discogs. Also the labels on the record and the printed innersleeve match up. All of that hints for a genuine first press, it's just the missing DeepGroove on side B, as mentioned on Discogs/popsike. And I just checked LJC's entry of Down With It, and his issue is exactly as mine, without DeepGroove.
So in the end, whatever it is, a genuine OG first press, or an early repress, I'm absolutely happy with it...

Thanks for that input. I'm pretty sure that it's a mid 60's release, since the vinyl has the P/ear and Van Gelder stamp in the dead wax, and the matrix numbers match the first press info on Discogs. Also the labels on the record and the printed innersleeve match up. All of that hints for a genuine first press, it's just the missing DeepGroove on side B, as mentioned on Discogs/popsike. And I just checked LJC's entry of Down With It, and his issue is exactly as mine, without DeepGroove.
So in the end, whatever it is, a genuine OG first press, or a early repress, I'm absolutely happy with it...
And so you should be, its a great find and I bet it sounds fantastic! Great find buddy!

I have to admit I'm a bit behind with my TP purchases, and have only picked up three to date (Chet, Introducing Kenny Burrell, Grant Green Nigeria).

Out of curiosity, what TP's would you recommend to a lover of Hard Bop / Modal jazz?
Check out:
Grant Green - Born To Be Blue (and Nigeria too, but Ike Quebec makes BTBB for me)
Lee Morgan - Cornbread (a top 3 for me; The Cooker is excellent as well but I also adore Lee Morgan’s discography so maybe I’m biased)
Wayne Shorter - Etcetera (Still my favorite Tone Poet, but again I adore Shorter’s 60’s output. And this album is excellent.)

Both of the newly released ones, It’s Time by Jackie McLean and The Kicker by Bobby Hutcherson (first ever vinyl pressing by the way). A somewhat sequel to Idle Moments. At the very least, the same cast of characters.

Tina Brooks - Minor Move.

Honestly, you could recommend almost all of them. The Tone Poets are the best bang for your buck when it comes to jazz rereleases. Hell, I really like Face to Face by Baby Fave Willette, Comin’ Your Way by Stanley Turrentine, and Clubhouse by Dexter Gordon as well—“Devilette” is an awesome piece of music.

EDIT - Oh, and definitely check out Sam Rivers - Contours for something a little more adventurous.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the source is for the 1996 press of Donald Byrd’s 1970 album Electric Byrd? Thanks in advance.

I don't know if it differs for US & UK, but I think that's part of the rare groove series by Wally Trautgott, I think they are supposed to be generally quite good, but I don't have any.

There's a bit of info here:

Anyone know anything about the new metal prints Mosaic released? The prices aren't too insane, although definitely high, but I'm not sure about what an image on metal will look like... tempted to get that Dolphy and maybe the Hancock as well. I like that they don't need a frame and are wall-ready, so although it's more than a typical print of that size (I'd get the smallest 10x10), it's a finished product at least.

Anyone know anything about the new metal prints Mosaic released? The prices aren't too insane, although definitely high, but I'm not sure about what an image on metal will look like... tempted to get that Dolphy and maybe the Hancock as well. I like that they don't need a frame and are wall-ready, so although it's more than a typical print of that size (I'd get the smallest 10x10), it's a finished product at least.

They look beautiful, and at those prices, they damn well better be. Out of my price range, but I'll bet they're sweet.

Anyone here grabbed the Charles Lloyd live album released back in February? I've streamed it a handful of times and love the music, but I haven't heard any comments on the sound quality of the vinyl. The record isn't exactly cheap, so I would like to know beforehand.

Anyone here grabbed the Charles Lloyd live album released back in February? I've streamed it a handful of times and love the music, but I haven't heard any comments on the sound quality of the vinyl. The record isn't exactly cheap, so I would like to know beforehand.
Do you mean the "8 kindred spirits?" -- I have the box that I picked up at a reasonable sale price. I've never watched the DVD but the LP set is captured really well. I saw some complaints on the interwebs about the 2 lp version missing some tracks, but don't really recollect the details. The book (really a collection of photos) is interesting, but not particularly compelling -- it feels more like a very personal remembrances or home collection than a look back that provides insight -- though it is well presented. I think that I paid ~$30 a record and at that price if felt and feels like a solid value. The set is a good one that is well recorded with a warm familiarity between the players. Still one I'm happy to turn to after the kids are asleep and I can just sit and listen.

Do you mean the "8 kindred spirits?" -- I have the box that I picked up at a reasonable sale price. I've never watched the DVD but the LP set is captured really well. I saw some complaints on the interwebs about the 2 lp version missing some tracks, but don't really recollect the details. The book (really a collection of photos) is interesting, but not particularly compelling -- it feels more like a very personal remembrances or home collection than a look back that provides insight -- though it is well presented. I think that I paid ~$30 a record and at that price if felt and feels like a solid value. The set is a good one that is well recorded with a warm familiarity between the players. Still one I'm happy to turn to after the kids are asleep and I can just sit and listen.
Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about. I find the 3LP boxset a little too pricey, and I don't really care too much about the reduced tracklist (The album has that same tracklist on Spotify, which is where I have streamed it). I've always found it a little too expensive for a 2LP, but the packaging looks nice, and if the sound quality is good, I feel like it is worth it for this great session. Thanks for your reply, it helps a ton!

The photos on the site look great. I have four of the regular paper prints and the quality is good -- but I bought them at a fairly high discount. The cost of framing was ridiculous (i.e. standard custom framing), but they look good. That said, they are unlimited runs and basically posters on good paper. I think the metal might look nice and I've seen other works done in a similar fashion -- given the insane costs of framing it feels like a good break even cost, though there is something "period" (of the time) about the matted photo. I'm a little torn. At the price point of any of the larger sizes, I might try to track down a silver gelatin. The depth on those is extraordinary and really beautiful though you'd get even more crushed by framing.

As with many posts, I've typed this and realized I'm of little help. :)

Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about. I find the 3LP boxset a little too pricey, and I don't really care too much about the reduced tracklist (The album has that same tracklist on Spotify, which is where I have streamed it). I've always found it a little too expensive for a 2LP, but the packaging looks nice, and if the sound quality is good, I feel like it is worth it for this great session. Thanks for your reply, it helps a ton!
Spinning it again now. It's a great set

Cross post from online deals
Bad news all -- it looks like that Warner Music Group (UDiscover, BlueNote, etc) was subject to a fairly significant hack that skimmed credit cards, address, phone, and CCV

Edit: not UDiscover, Blue (see other posts, etc and sorry for the confusion)

www.zdnet.com

Warner Music discloses months-long web skimming incident | ZDNet
Magecart hacker gangs strike again!
www.zdnet.com
www.zdnet.com
thepaypers.com

Hackers breach ecommerce stores operated by Warner Music Group

thepaypers.com
thepaypers.com

Last edited:
Cross post from online deals
Bad news all -- it looks like that Warner Music Group (UDiscover, BlueNote, etc) ...

Aren’t udiscover and Blue Note both part of Universal Music Group? I thought Warner Music Group was separate - I think their labels are Atlantic, Rhino, Parlophone, Elektra, etc. - not sure what their main online store would be.

Aren’t udiscover and Blue Note both part of Universal Music Group? I thought Warner Music Group was separate - I think their labels are Atlantic, Rhino, Parlophone, Elektra, etc. - not sure what their main online store would be.
Warner is "the third largest in the global music industry, after Universal Music Group and Sony Music Entertainment". So not Blue Note, but still worrying.

Back