The Blue Note Thread

No limited edition vinyl then? I got an email from them today saying limited edition vinyl and cd’s.

I’ll try and go, I definitely want the uncompromising expressions book. Could be tempted by some prints.
Not that I saw, I asked the guy that was running it and he said it was just the merch (tote, tshirt, etc) that was limited edition. They also didnt have a working card machine when I went so I just bought a tote bag (£5) and he threw in the poster (its on thick card and supposedly limited to 200 but the number was blank on mine so it reads '__ of 200') and stickers.

The book is really really good and totally worth getting. Only thing I would say is that its going to be really expensive at the event (although to be fair to them it is updated with BN80 apparently). I picked up my copy for around £20 on ebay, if its much more than that I would recommend waiting. If they are selling it at retail price then you can get it for that price anywhere.

I thought it was a mistake but ive just checked the website and its listed for the same price there as well:

Honest Jons - Grant Green

was it defo a BN80 version? Honest Jon’s sells a lot of the Scorpio releases so online it’s pretty impossible to see which version you’re ordering.

Last edited:
was it defo a BN80 version? Honest Jon’s sells a lot of the Scorpio releases so online it’s pretty impossible to see which version you’re ordering.
Oh man, I hope its the BN80 :ROFLMAO:

The bar code takes me to this page on discogs and the info on the back of the jacket has the 2019 date, Kevin Gray, Cohearent Mastering etc so hopefully it is. I will open it up later tonight and check.

Edit: Scratch that, just opened the Scorpio link you sent and that one has the Blue Note logo off centre on the front cover, this one is centred and the Scorpio was 2011, so I believe it is the BN80.

Oh man, I hope its the BN80 :ROFLMAO:

The bar code takes me to this page on discogs and the info on the back of the jacket has the 2019 date, Kevin Gray, Cohearent Mastering etc so hopefully it is. I will open it up later tonight and check.

Edit: Scratch that, just opened the Scorpio link you sent and that one has the Blue Note logo off centre on the front cover, this one is centred and the Scorpio was 2011, so I believe it is the BN80.

Great get at that price. HJs and SotU stock a lot of the Scorpio stuff which I have no objection to because they're cheap, it just makes it a bit of a crapshoot when buying online so I tend to think anything within the £10-12 range is Scorpio.

Great get at that price. HJs and SotU stock a lot of the Scorpio stuff which I have no objection to because they're cheap, it just makes it a bit of a crapshoot when buying online so I tend to think anything within the £10-12 range is Scorpio.
Oh thanks for letting me know, I will bear that in mind next time im there. I've never actually been to Honest JOnns main shop, but their Coal Drops Yard one is an Aladdin's cave of records. Lots of reasonably priced jazz records.

Anybody else get their copy of Grant Green Sunday Morning from Plaidroom yet? Mine is waiting for me at home along with Grant Green Alive! Wondering how the quality is on Sunday Morning!
I haven't received mine yet nor shipping notice, but glad to hear you got yours since it is listed for release date on Nov 29th, so glad this is available early. I bought this digitally as well and I really have been enjoying it --looking forward to the cobalt blue wax :)

I have only been looking into jazz since the beginning of this year, but Grant Green has been my favorite. Purchased by me this year on vinyl:

Green Street - MMJ
Matador -MMJ
Solid - MMJ
Alive! - BN80
Grant's First Stand - BN80
Funk in France (RSD)
Born to Be Blue - TP
(also on Face to Face - TP; The Natural Soul - VMP Anthology)

Of these, I think Green Street and Sunday Mornin are my favorites (like the Natural Soul a lot, too). Hard to pick, it is great to listen to all of it.

I haven't received mine yet nor shipping notice, but glad to hear you got yours since it is listed for release date on Nov 29th, so glad this is available early. I bought this digitally as well and I really have been enjoying it --looking forward to the cobalt blue wax :)

I have only been looking into jazz since the beginning of this year, but Grant Green has been my favorite. Purchased by me this year on vinyl:

Green Street - MMJ
Matador -MMJ
Solid - MMJ
Alive! - BN80
Grant's First Stand - BN80
Funk in France (RSD)
Born to Be Blue - TP
(also on Face to Face - TP; The Natural Soul - VMP Anthology)

Of these, I think Green Street and Sunday Mornin are my favorites (like the Natural Soul a lot, too). Hard to pick, it is great to listen to all of it.
Is the MM Idle Moments sold out or something? Hopefully you can get your hands on a good pressing of that. It is my favorite.

Last edited:
Is the MM Idle moments sold out or something? Hopefully you can get your hands on a good pressing of that. It is my favorite.
Thanks! Yes, it is out of stock at MMJ. And, it's listed at $75 - I've paid a premium for these to kind of get started, but I think I would like to try to buy some original pressings next. I have read the tips here (thanks) and will try to look for an opportunity to peruse eBay and such. And, I think I am just done with MMJ....their stuff is nice, but the price point and CS leaves a bit to be desired.

I'll try to be patient - there is so much coming out regularly on vinyl I need to pace myself. :)

Yep. I have never purchased anything through MM directly because the shipping is insane and the price hikes are crazy. I've had luck on ebay though and discogs.

Yeah, I love MMJ products but hate their greedy pricing strategy and Shipping. I'd love for Tone Poet to continue going strong to the point that BN begins pressing some of those releases. Even if theyre slightly inferior, theyre not $30-50 inferior.

Yeah, I love MMJ products but hate their greedy pricing strategy and Shipping. I'd love for Tone Poet to continue going strong to the point that BN begins pressing some of those releases. Even if theyre slightly inferior, theyre not $30-50 inferior.
It seems that TP will continue for the next few years from what BN has said. Even the BN80s are quite nice sound quality-wise.

Yeah, I know. And it sucks. I refuse to give MMJ any of my money and most of the BN75s are supposed to be poor.
I have increasingly found that the MMJ's are approaching (exceeding in some cases) the price of a decent original copy. Doesn't help with the resale market bumping them up either I suppose, and of course there are some titles which are an exception to the rule.

I personally haven't ever had a MMJ, mainly because of the cost to the UK. I have been in the situation where I was considering picking up 1 or 2, but after comparing with copies of the original on discogs it just didn't make sense to do so.

I believe they said they will not double dip at all sadly. It makes no sense financially for them to do so either.

I hope the demand changes their mind. I mean, if the BN80s sell like wildfire, it could make sense to repress one of those classics again. I mean, imagine how many copies of Moanin' they could sell if they did a BN80 version or a TP? They probably won't, but I hope they do.

I hope the demand changes their mind. I mean, if the BN80s sell like wildfire, it could make sense to repress one of those classics again. I mean, imagine how many copies of Moanin' they could sell if they did a BN80 version or a TP? They probably won't, but I hope they do.

Yep thats my hope. I would love a good copy of Art Blakey 'A Night in Tunisia'. Even the now sold out MMJ SRX release is only available in the $700 complete 2019 set.

I know the whole point of the BN75 and 80 lines was to get great albums to people at an affordable price, which is completely the opposite of MMs philosophy. Make sense to make the classics eventually available too.

I would have to imagine that we will see the classic albums reissued again within the next 5 years. They will probably stop selling the 75th ones soon and hopefully get Tone Poet/MMJ quality reissues back on the market. More likely though, we will get a few in the Tone Poet series, or another limited type series, and the rest in the same vein as the Blue Note 80s. There’s definitely a market for these.

Back