The Blue Note Thread

Is the pricing that different? When I checked the price of 3 BN80s from amazon CA, it saved me maybe a dollar for all three after shipping was added.

It was a lot cheaper when I ordered them (seems like a long time ago), but I don't think it is now. I'm getting them shipped to England so I get charged tax from Amazon.us, sometimes it works out cheaper from Amazon because they include the charges upfront.

Great customer service from Amazon, they have offered to pay all of the DHL import charges.

It was a lot cheaper when I ordered them (seems like a long time ago), but I don't think it is now. I'm getting them shipped to England so I get charged tax from Amazon.us, sometimes it works out cheaper from Amazon because they include the charges upfront.

Great customer service from Amazon, they have offered to pay all of the DHL import charges.
Ah should have looked at your location! Yea--when I looked right when Indestructible and the last batch came out, the initial pricing was super cheap, but then I factored in shipping and it barely saved me anything vs ordering from the US. I feel bad that the Tone Poets and other records seem to be priced so much higher in Europe!

Pretty awesome that Amazon paid the import charges!

Right? I've been really impressed by all of them. Listening to Out To Lunch right now actually. I think Indeed! was the only one that sounded okay to me but i have nothing to compare it to. The Bill Evans sounds incredible.

I bought Indeed! first and wasn't that impressed, but have since bought a bunch, The Bill Evans sounds great. The Italian DeAgositini
run also had a copy of waltz for Debby, don't know if the Italian pressings sound as good.

Ah should have looked at your location! Yea--when I looked right when Indestructible and the last batch came out, the initial pricing was super cheap, but then I factored in shipping and it barely saved me anything vs ordering from the US. I feel bad that the Tone Poets and other records seem to be priced so much higher in Europe!

Pretty awesome that Amazon paid the import charges!

I'm amazed. Can't wait to spin Byrd when it arrives

I bought Indeed! first and wasn't that impressed, but have since bought a bunch, The Bill Evans sounds great. The Italian DeAgositini
run also had a copy of waltz for Debby, don't know if the Italian pressings sound as good.
Yea Indeed! was the first one I cracked open too. I ordered 4 to start from the same seller to combine shipping to the US. I was disappointed by it but then the other 3 sounded really great so I ordered 5 more haha.

I know Elemental are official BN presses but does anyone know the sourcing? I'm betting digital but I'm not sure.
One of the head guys at Elemental had this to say when asked:
"All these titles are sourced from HI RES unmastered originals in digital files delivered by UMG. They were prepared for vinyl in a Studio here in Europe. Don’t have much info about the mastering process involved in preparing a master for vinyl."

What pressings are these? I don't recognize the blue stripe at the top.
They are the japanese "From The Original Master Tapes Series". They are meant to be near exact replicas of the original Blue Note pressings down to how they even made the jackets. Cut straight from the mono master tapes, pressed at QRP, deep groove, flat edge. Mastered by Kevin Gray. I won't get a chance to listen until this weekend, but people say they sound extremely close to the OG mono pressings.

I'm real interested in how these sound. Been thinking about pulling the trigger on one or two of them.
They are pricey...but I've been looking to buy both of these records and figured they were worth a shot! I won them both and was the only bidder. I'll let ya know how they sound. I don't have any other pressings to compare to though!

They are the japanese "From The Original Master Tapes Series". They are meant to be near exact replicas of the original Blue Note pressings down to how they even made the jackets. Cut straight from the mono master tapes, pressed at QRP, deep groove, flat edge. Mastered by Kevin Gray. I won't get a chance to listen until this weekend, but people say they sound extremely close to the OG mono pressings.

Huh... where did you find them? Cogs/eBay or are they available new? I'm asking because I totally have a big vinyl budget right now, what with getting in on that reasonably priced anthology and all.

also do you own a jukebox?

Huh... where did you find them? Cogs/eBay or are they available new? I'm asking because I totally have a big vinyl budget right now, what with getting in on that reasonably priced anthology and all.

I had read about them awhile ago and held back because they were pricey and not a ton available in the US. But the other week I found a US seller with a ton of then on ebay that nobody was bidding on. They are also on discogs.

And yes! My friend moved from NY to LA and didn't want to lug his jukebox, so he asked me if I wanted it for free. I have to get it fixed up a little (one speaker keeps cutting out) and for now I have it at work. Eventually, I think the plan is to replace the speakers in there with nicer ones and get a new cartridge, etc. Can't have it at home for now since I live in an apartment but whenever I end up moving into a house, that jukebox is the first thing going home with me! When I got it, I went through a huge phase of buying 45s so now I have something like 800 45s that I never listen to outside of the jukebox hah.

I absolutely love this record and it's well below what the originals were listed at in Japan and lower than the lowest sold price if anybody states-side looking to test one of these pressings out...

I absolutely love this record and it's well below what the originals were listed at in Japan and lower than the lowest sold price if anybody states-side looking to test one of these pressings out...

Screw it. Bought.
I had read about them awhile ago and held back because they were pricey and not a ton available in the US. But the other week I found a US seller with a ton of then on ebay that nobody was bidding on. They are also on discogs.

And yes! My friend moved from NY to LA and didn't want to lug his jukebox, so he asked me if I wanted it for free. I have to get it fixed up a little (one speaker keeps cutting out) and for now I have it at work. Eventually, I think the plan is to replace the speakers in there with nicer ones and get a new cartridge, etc. Can't have it at home for now since I live in an apartment but whenever I end up moving into a house, that jukebox is the first thing going home with me! When I got it, I went through a huge phase of buying 45s so now I have something like 800 45s that I never listen to outside of the jukebox hah.

I'm a juge vintage audio fan. I have way more junk than I care to admit and I've scaled back some lately.... but an old Grundig console and a jukebox is still on my list of stuff. Really cool!!

Screw it. Bought.

I'm a juge vintage audio fan. I have way more junk than I care to admit and I've scaled back some lately.... but an old Grundig console and a jukebox is still on my list of stuff. Really cool!!
The purist in me wants to restore it using original parts but the technological part of me wants to replace the speakers with nicer, more modern speakers haha. One day I'll get around to restoring it nicely!

And yea--I just ended up buying Afro Cuban from the same seller that you just got the Walter Davis record from. I would have gotten the Walter Davis but just got a japanese press a few weeks back.

The purist in me wants to restore it using original parts but the technological part of me wants to replace the speakers with nicer, more modern speakers haha. One day I'll get around to restoring it nicely!

And yea--I just ended up buying Afro Cuban from the same seller that you just got the Walter Davis record from. I would have gotten the Walter Davis but just got a japanese press a few weeks back.

I want to get an old console, a crappy one, and install new speakers and a better TT. If I can't find a nice German one with a Dual in it at least.

Also from that seller: Art Blakey Quintet - A Night At Birdland, Volume 1: LP, Comp, Mono, RE, RP For Sale | Discogs signed by Lou Donaldson. Kinda neat.

Are they an actual new (back then) mono mix?

Back