The Blue Note Thread

So I was in a bit of a vinyl diet, but all this praise for the BN80 made me order Ethiopian Knights. There are so many awesome titles in that reissue campaign, and I'm sure I'll eventually grab at least half of them, but I think I'll start with my favorites. In N Out and Indestructible are up next.
Leave that bad taste from the 75th Anniversary presses in the past, the future is now and with the 80th Anniversary presses it’s lookin’ quite bright 👌

Listening to The Freedom Rider and it's not lost on me that Reid Miles revisited the cover design style years later with Kenny Dorham's Una Mas.

EE3k0LpXYAAFe8F.jpg

DHL just texted me asking me to pay £21 import tax on the latest Tone Poets. Pre-ordered from Amazon Ca. I haven’t had this problem before with Amazon international. I’m trying to get them to cancel the order, but contact is a bit painful.

If anyone is ordering internationally from Amazon CA you might want to double check the tax is paid upfront .

Weirdly, I tried to place a re-order on Amazon, just to check out what it says about charges, but it won’t let me, saying the item cannot be shipped to my country.

DHL just texted me asking me to pay £21 import tax on the latest Tone Poets. Pre-ordered from Amazon Ca. I haven’t had this problem before with Amazon international. I’m trying to get them to cancel the order, but contact is a bit painful.

If anyone is ordering internationally from Amazon CA you might want to double check the tax is paid upfront .

Weirdly, I tried to place a re-order on Amazon, just to check out what it says about charges, but it won’t let me, saying the item cannot be shipped to my country.
Is the pricing that different? When I checked the price of 3 BN80s from amazon CA, it saved me maybe a dollar for all three after shipping was added.

Also doing the first mono remaster from the original mono tapes of Chet Baker Sings for TP!

I bought the Jazz Images version back in my early vinyl days. Put it on a few weeks ago and man does it sounds bad. Can't wait for this one! Apparently the Original Mono Master was lost for a while, but they found it for the Tone Poet.

Joe Harley confirmed Grant Green's Nigeria for the 2020 Tone Poet schedule

I just bought an OG a couple of months ago, but I love this album soo much that I'll probably get the TP. Will be fun doing a shootout. I hope they use the Japanese cover, but based on how they handled the LT series in the past they probably will design a new cover.
R-3712640-1408915416-7290.jpeg.jpg

Joe Harley has confirmed some and hinted at other titles on the Hoffman forums. A user there made this list:
  • Joe Henderson - State of the Tenor: Live at the Village Vanguard, Vol. 1
  • Chet Baker Sings
  • Ellington/Mingus/Roach - Money Jungle
  • Bobby Hutcherson - The Kicker
  • Jackie McLean - Demon's Dance
  • Gerald Wilson - You Better Believe It!
  • more Andrew Hill
  • Ornette Coleman - Love Call
  • Bobby Hutcherson - Oblique
  • Tina Brooks - The Waiting Game
  • Lee Morgan - The Cooker
  • Paul Chambers - Bass on Top
  • Grant Green - Nigeria

I bought the Jazz Images version back in my early vinyl days. Put it on a few weeks ago and man does it sounds bad. Can't wait for this one! Apparently the Original Mono Master was lost for a while, but they found it for the Tone Poet.

I just bought an OG a couple of months ago, but I love this album soo much that I'll probably get the TP. Will be fun doing a shootout. I hope they use the Japanese cover, but based on how they handled the LT series in the past they probably will design a new cover.
R-3712640-1408915416-7290.jpeg.jpg
I hope they use the Japanese cover too. It's so rad.

My two Jazz at 33 & 1/3rd presses landed today, and must say the Soul Station sounds pretty great for being as cheap as it was.
Right? I've been really impressed by all of them. Listening to Out To Lunch right now actually. I think Indeed! was the only one that sounded okay to me but i have nothing to compare it to. The Bill Evans sounds incredible.

Back