The Blue Note Thread

Thats one of the versions I have been chasing. On eBay auctions they all start edging into Music Matters price territory. I will poke around discogs a bit more
I think there’s one on EBay now or at least I thought I saw one listed a few days ago. Anyways, I wouldn’t pay more than $30 for it unless you need it right this moment. Most of that series is usually in NM condition too which is nice. I have a handful of those 90’s BN presses and they all sound great.

I think there’s one on EBay now or at least I thought I saw one listed a few days ago. Anyways, I wouldn’t pay more than $30 for it unless you need it right this moment. Most of that series is usually in NM condition too which is nice. I have a handful of those 90’s BN presses and they all sound great.
Looks like its gone but will keep watching

Somebody on eBay was selling their entire matching number MM set on eBay 6 months ago or so and it was so tempting to even just think about going for it. It had every MM album and some duplicates on 33 and 45. The guy was willing to deliver it in person anywhere on the east coast. It was something like 130 MM albums for $5k.

Honestly I'd give that serious thought but then again, part of the fun is cobbling this all together.

Honestly I'd give that serious thought but then again, part of the fun is cobbling this all together.
Yea--I like finding records here and there and customizing a bit more. Part of me wanted to buy and re-sell a lot of them and keep the ones I wanted but then the headache of that wasn't worth spending that large amount of money on. But it was still not a bad deal...It worked out to $40 or so per album.

Yea--I like finding records here and there and customizing a bit more. Part of me wanted to buy and re-sell a lot of them and keep the ones I wanted but then the headache of that wasn't worth spending that large amount of money on. But it was still not a bad deal...It worked out to $40 or so per album.

Oooh yeah I mean at that cost per record, I bet you could've at least made a real dent in that overall price. I'm just starting to sell some records I haven't looked at in a long time though and it is kind of a pain...

The two I have sound very good but I'm not in love with the format. For me it's almost too much material.
I would love to get the Miles Davis Plugged Nickel one but that’s never going to be affordable to me haha! But I agree on a lot of those it seems like there’s just so much extra material. Alternate takes are good and all but I would probably only listen to it once or twice and move back to standard album releases.

Somebody on eBay was selling their entire matching number MM set on eBay 6 months ago or so and it was so tempting to even just think about going for it. It had every MM album and some duplicates on 33 and 45. The guy was willing to deliver it in person anywhere on the east coast. It was something like 130 MM albums for $5k.
I saw this. It was devastating.

So I put on Lee Morgan-Cornbread today on the way to ikea.

My wife was like, “This is music for people who understand music.”

In the middle of Lee’s opening solo, which I love the way he enters like he owns the place. He’s like “alright motherfuckers this is how you gotta show up on my records” anyway my wife asked me a question, “What instrument is that?”

It’s questions like that that make me realize that music people really do in live in a different world.

The two I have sound very good but I'm not in love with the format. For me it's almost too much material.
I have the Bud Powell Blue Note set and I put one record on and thought there was a skip on the vinyl but then realized it was just 4 takes of the same song or something on the first record haha. I agree that some of them almost have TOO much material and it’s not as enjoyable for me as listening to the finished record. Not sure it every box has multiple takes of every song though.

Yeah each to their own, but $90 is pretty expensive for a record, I got a couple of these about 18 months ago in Japan and they cost me about A$60 and that’s too much, I mean I get it but I’m not paying crazy money for Records , I’m buying shares to have some money in my retirement!
This is such a crazy coincidence. I rarely go on Facebook nowadays and the one day I do they’re all talking about those Japanese pressings. Worth checking this page for more info:

View attachment 17728

I have the Bud Powell Blue Note set and I put one record on and thought there was a skip on the vinyl but then realized it was just 4 takes of the same song or something on the first record haha. I agree that some of them almost have TOO much material and it’s not as enjoyable for me as listening to the finished record. Not sure it every box has multiple takes of every song though.

The labelling is also a pain in the butt... like it is chronological but they aren't broken down by record, so the different eras bleed into each other. Unless you have the booklet out it's hard to say what session you're listening to. So yeah I do like the sets, they sound good, just not my favorite format. I'd get another if it were a good price though.

How is the sound on those Blue Note Mosaic boxsets? I can across the Tina Brooks one on eBay for a decent price. It includes all 4 albums, 2 of which are coming out soonish in the TP pressing.

They sound great. No issues there. If you can get past the sequencing and accept that for what it is, then you'll have no problems.

As an aside, I have a bunch of Mosaic boxsets that I'm looking to unload soon. If anyone is interested, some titles are here on my old flickr account - https://www.flickr.com/photos/atane/albums/72157626897434783

They sound great. No issues there. If you can get past the sequencing and accept that for what it is, then you'll have no problems.

As an aside, I have a bunch of Mosaic boxsets that I'm looking to unload soon. If anyone is interested, some titles are here on my old flickr account - Mosaic Records Boxsets
Damn! You have a ton of great ones. I'm sure you'll clean up selling those!

The interesting thing with the Brooks Mosaic set is he only did 4 albums/sessions as a leader and they are presented as they were presented on album. The only one with a different running order are the tracks from The Waiting Game.

As an aside, I have a bunch of Mosaic boxsets that I'm looking to unload soon. If anyone is interested, some titles are here on my old flickr account - Mosaic Records Boxsets

Wow that's an awesome collection!!

One other point about sound, in the Powell box there are some tracks and I think one whole session where the tapes were either missing or too worn to use, so they had to use copy tape or even a record copy at one point. They make it clear in the liner notes what uses inferior sourcing though so they're clearly very thorough.

The interesting thing with the Brooks Mosaic set is he only did 4 albums/sessions as a leader and they are presented as they were presented on album. The only one with a different running order are the tracks from The Waiting Game.
Yea--some Mosaic sets are called "The Complete Sessions" in which multiple takes are included. Others are just a full discography it seems.

Anyone make an eBay purchase of more than one DeAgostini album from Barking*Bargains in the UK? I'm wondering if they will combine shipping and how much I might save.

And am I hearing the quality is pretty good on that series? Closer to BN80 than the 75th pressings?

I'm looking at picking up Dexter Gordon - Go, Hank Mobley - Soul Station and McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy.

Back