The Blue Note Thread

Its crazy how much its shot up in value/popularity. I wonder if its because of the VMP reissue?
It just wasn’t a very popular album and I don’t think a ton were pressed or kept in good shape. I had trouble finding it for years prior to the VMP reissue but it has managed to jump up even more in price now it seems. If I see it up for sale anywhere I’ll let ya know!

I blame the Tone Piet reissue of Etcetera on the Shorter awakening. That release was 🔥 and got more than a few of us here opening our wallets for anything/everything Shorter.
Yea--I do think it brought more awareness to how awesome he is. I love that Tone Poet record....ETC + Kenny Burrell + Chick Corea so far are my top 3.

Haven't had a chance to fully check out the sound of the mono Moanin' yet, but it was my first instance of getting an OG Blue Note with a partial Plastylite "P". I've heard this happens but now I'm curious to look further into what it may mean. For sure my stereo copy is an earlier pressing than this.
20190909_092642.jpg

Haven't had a chance to fully check out the sound of the mono Moanin' yet, but it was my first instance of getting an OG Blue Note with a partial Plastylite "P". I've heard this happens but now I'm curious to look further into what it may mean.
View attachment 16595
That’s really weird! I haven’t seen that before

That’s really weird! I haven’t seen that before
It's even less of a mark on the other side. I've read about it in passing on London Jazz Collector. I'm thinking it might be an indicator that the record was pressed near the end of the stamper life? Other details about this copy vs. my stereo copy tell me this mono is a later pressing.

It's even less of a mark on the other side. I've read about it in passing on London Jazz Collector. I'm thinking it might be an indicator that the record was pressed near the end of the stamper life? Other details about this copy vs. my stereo copy tell me this mono is a later pressing.
Pretty awesome nonetheless. How does it sound to you? I really like the sound of my mono copy.

Edit: just read your post closer haha! Let us know when you get around to it.

Haven't had a chance to fully check out the sound of the mono Moanin' yet, but it was my first instance of getting an OG Blue Note with a partial Plastylite "P". I've heard this happens but now I'm curious to look further into what it may mean. For sure my stereo copy is an earlier pressing than this.
View attachment 16595
Oh my days! I have a BN that has this partial P too but I never knew what it was (I assumed it was just a localised error). Damn im going to have to go through each one now until i find it 🤣

Pretty awesome nonetheless. How does it sound to you? I really like the sound of my mono copy.

Edit: just read your post closer haha! Let us know when you get around to it.
I want to record bits of each and post here for comparison, which should take a little bit to get set up. I can definitely say that my stereo copy is in better condition, but my preliminary thoughts are that the mono copy has a stronger drum sound, at least.

I fell down the Hoffman rabbit hole today and now I'm listening to my Andrew Hill Black Fire TP... and I swear I hear the warbling now. Particularly after someone posted a clip of a different pressing/version without the issue next to the same bit from the TP version. Am I crazy? Does anyone else hear this?

I don't want to open a can of worms here, I'm mostly just curious if anyone else is hearing it or not. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter all that much, I know. The fact that there are beautiful sounding BN reissues that are genuinely AAA in great packaging for affordable prices is really all that's important.

I fell down the Hoffman rabbit hole today and now I'm listening to my Andrew Hill Black Fire TP... and I swear I hear the warbling now. Particularly after someone posted a clip of a different pressing/version without the issue next to the same bit from the TP version. Am I crazy? Does anyone else hear this?

I don't want to open a can of worms here, I'm mostly just curious if anyone else is hearing it or not. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter all that much, I know. The fact that there are beautiful sounding BN reissues that are genuinely AAA in great packaging for affordable prices is really all that's important.
I have to relisten to it but I kind of don't want to ruin it for myself now! haha Didn't notice anything upon first listen...

I have to relisten to it but I kind of don't want to ruin it for myself now! haha Didn't notice anything upon first listen...

Yeah, I mean, you might not want to. It feels really obvious to me now, especially after hearing that side by side comparison. I'll dig up that post in a second and edit it in here. But the Hoffman thread overall is kind of insane, like take how annoyed/angry we were about the anthology shitshow, crank it up to 11, and make the stakes like 10x smaller ($26 vs $260).

Here's the post with the clips for those interested: 'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

I thought I told you not to play with those kids! 😏

Yeah, I mean, you might not want to. It feels really obvious to me now, especially after hearing that side by side comparison. I'll dig up that post in a second and edit it in here. But the Hoffman thread overall is kind of insane, like take how annoyed/angry we were about the anthology shitshow, crank it up to 11, and make the stakes like 10x smaller ($26 vs $260).

Here's the post with the clips for those interested: 'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*
I typically end up looking there for reviews on specific pressings/series but the regular posters there are a litttttle bit intense...

God damn Hoffmanites can be assholes. Can't believe they drove Joe Harley off the forum, mental.

On a side note, I dont have the TP yet but listening to the comparison audio clips I couldn't hear anything.....although there is a bit of background noise where I am at the moment.

Back