The Blue Note Thread

I was at the shop today to pick up a pre-order that came in and I started leafing through the Jazz stacks. I picked up two of the Verve Vital Vinyl reissues (Getz/Evans and Getz/Byrd). I haven't seen any discussion of these reissues outside of @stpaulbrowns spreadsheet.

I have to report, they sound nice but they did not receive the same lux treatment that BN is going for right now.

I went all 33. Horace Silver: Cape Verdean Blues and Songs for My Father, Art Blakey Free for All and Indestructible.
Awesome choices. I ended up with the 45 RPM of Louis Smith’s Smithville since I got it for $30 shipped on eBay. The 33s sound really great too though so I might grab a few more of those at some point. A guy on eBay last week was selling 112 Music Matters pressings as a lot and if I was made of cash, I would have pulled the trigger on it.

Guys I need help, grabbed a Analogue Productions Blue and Sentimental last night along with a John Coltrane Atlantic Years Mono boxset (I know not BN) and I’ve still got my eyes on a few Japanese BN eBay auctions that end today. o_O
Worth every penny at full price brother. You will not regret it.

I will also back up @Mr Moore's statement here, its a fantastic boxset, one of my favorites. For the price you mentioned its an absolute steal!

Haven't had a chance to spin these, but the packaging is cool. The covers are similar to the Classic reissues without the glossy finish. Here's a quick peek at what was inside. Note the source used for Dexter Calling, however the deadwax has "KG@CA".

Attachments

• IMG-8844.jpg
    IMG-8844.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG-8846.jpg
    IMG-8846.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG-8848.jpg
    IMG-8848.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG-8849.jpg
    IMG-8849.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG-8850.jpg
    IMG-8850.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG-8851.jpg
    IMG-8851.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG-8853.jpg
    IMG-8853.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
So
Can anyone recommend one Music Matters press over the other concerning Night Dreamer, Song For My Father, & Afro-Cuban?

I’m feeling financial naughty and want to pair one of these with Free For All & Speak No Evil. :devilish:
I only have the 45 rpm Song For My Father, but that amazing. Honestly you can’t go wrong with either 3 imo, all are amazing albums. Seems like SFMF gets high marks for sound but it might get mentioned more because of how popular of an album it is. Get Night Dreamer and you’ll have a good stack of Wayne Shorter to sink into though!

Is there any reason to get the 45 of 33 for any of the MM releases?

Nice snag - goes to show if you look around you can still find great records at reasonable prices.

It was a good bit of $ to lay down at once for me but I've had a cart open with those albums in it for months and I got tired of not pulling the trigger. Leaving Enron helped since I won't being paying for their service anymore.
So

I only have the 45 rpm Song For My Father, but that amazing. Honestly you can’t go wrong with either 3 imo, all are amazing albums. Seems like SFMF gets high marks for sound but it might get mentioned more because of how popular of an album it is. Get Night Dreamer and you’ll have a good stack of Wayne Shorter to sink into though!

So

I’m essentially buying MM presses of albums that are hard to find copies of. Any good copies of Shorter albums are gonna cost a bit. Afro-Cuban is harder to track down. And the late nice ‘70s Japanese pressings of Song For My Father will cost me about $45-50 shipped so the SRX seems like a great option too.

But I’ve got the 45rpm of JuJu on the way right now so perhaps Night Dreamer to finalize that perfect Shorter trifecta.

Would love to grab Moanin’ but I see Japanese King presses going for ~$45 shipped on eBay so I think I’m going that route. Just missed out on one yesterday. Already watching two others now.

Had a bit of a run-in with the VJ douche on the Anthology group. I was pretty disgusted that he posted several links to his own page on the group yesterday, so when he commented under my comment about VMP making mistakes I couldn't help pointing out that he was a prime example of one. I really believe they shouldn't have allowed him in the group after everything that went down. It taints the "community".

Is there any reason to get the 45 of 33 for any of the MM releases?
Yeah I don’t particularly notice a difference. I have a mixture of both and they all sound spectacular. 45 might give you less inner groove distortion and possibly better fidelity but it also breaks up the flow of the original album. A few of the 33’s that were originally released by MM in 45 rpm format were redone by Kevin Gray after upgrading equipment so some might actually sound better in theory. I don’t think I will ever have the equipment to distinguish haha! Buy with confidence.

Just got my Anthology box in. Looks like USPS dropped a fork lift blade on it. 🤦‍♂️ 50+ VMP shipments and, of course, this had to be the first one I've ever gotten in damaged. It was packed up really well. Would've been fine under normal conditions. Gonna have to get a replacement. 🤞

Back