The Blue Note Thread

No. It’s a few different records within the box. Plus some random merch. Bobby Hutch - Patterns and Blakey Africaine are both in the box in addition to spirit and time
Damn Patterns is fucking killer

Ok so apparently the Sonny Rollins "A Night at the Village Vanguard" will be a 3LP Tone Poet set.

Volume 3 of the Blue Note Review will focus on Lee Morgan. The first set in the series to focus on a single musician. He's my favourite musician which would make this right up my street, but unless its new music I will probably pass.

For those wondering, I have Vol 2 of the Review and it's really great. Fantastic quality throughout and the records sound fantastic. The extra bits are all nice to haves too. I skipped Vol 1 because there wasn't really much there to justify the price in my opinion, most of the expense seems to have been put on the scarf that came with it.

Ok so apparently the Sonny Rollins "A Night at the Village Vanguard" will be a 3LP Tone Poet set.

Volume 3 of the Blue Note Review will focus on Lee Morgan. The first set in the series to focus on a single musician. He's my favourite musician which would make this right up my street, but unless its new music I will probably pass.

For those wondering, I have Vol 2 of the Review and it's really great. Fantastic quality throughout and the records sound fantastic. The extra bits are all nice to haves too. I skipped Vol 1 because there wasn't really much there to justify the price in my opinion, most of the expense seems to have been put on the scarf that came with it.
Oh yes, I'm definitely gonna pick up that Sonny Rollins 3xLP set.

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

Yep. Never sold out at that price. Somebody nabbed the version on discogs I had in my cart for $135…damn.
Not surprised that V.2 never sold out. Many were pretty soured by V.1, and although the V.2 pressings were much better - essentially the first two TP's - neither are really essential.
I'll pass on V.3. Can't see much more to be done with Lee Morgan. My guess is they are moving to a more VMP anthology type model.

Not surprised that V.2 never sold out. Many were pretty soured by V.1, and although the V.2 pressings were much better - essentially the first two TP's - neither are really essential.
I'll pass on V.3. Can't see much more to be done with Lee Morgan. My guess is they are moving to a more VMP anthology type model.
I love Patterns but the rest of the set seemed underwhelming especially for the price

I love Patterns but the rest of the set seemed underwhelming especially for the price
I still have the scarf from V.1 - nice scarf. That's all I kept out of two volumes.

The Ornette BN material is 'advanced', not easy listening. So a lot of people pass. The Contemporary Ornette is easier, even the Atlantic.

I'm sure a lot of people who bought the Lee were expecting lighter, earlier 'bop' Lee and might have been surprised - Lighthouse is fabulous, fierce Lee.

I still have the scarf from V.1 - nice scarf. That's all I kept out of two volumes.

The Ornette BN material is 'advanced', not easy listening. So a lot of people pass. The Contemporary Ornette is easier, even the Atlantic.

I'm sure a lot of people who bought the Lee were expecting lighter, earlier 'bop' Lee and might have been surprised - Lighthouse is fabulous, fierce Lee.
Even the contemporary Ornette box went down below $35, which is a shame because it’s a great box. I really like the Lighthouse box but stuck with streaming on that one.

I thought it was like 400000 points or something like that.

Transcript of me having a zoom with Don Was...

"Thank you for talking to me Don."
"You are most welcome, what would you like to talk about?"
"Can we talk about Walk the Dinosaur?"
"Don't you want to talk about Blue Note?"
"No."
"Man, you spent a lot of money on Blue Note records."
"Yeah, to talk to you about Walk the Dinosaur."
"I mean, I don't really want to talk about that song."
"But I do and I bought a lot of Blue Note records for that right."
etc.
We could collectively sponsor Lee on this zoom some way.
It's a vinyl PPV

Ornette tone poet box went drastically on sale too but Lee Morgan at the lighthouse sold out so bit of a crap shoot. Will be interesting to see number of discs and price
Ya, that Lee Lighthouse went quick. I was like, do I really need ALL the takes? The people decided, unanimously yes!! Haha. I thoroughly enjoy the hi res of it frequently.

Ya, that Lee Lighthouse went quick. I was like, do I really need ALL the takes? The people decided, unanimously yes!! Haha. I thoroughly enjoy the hi res of it frequently.
That was my issue with it. I rarely listen to every take of the same songs even though it’s live and the performances are different. I got some of the Mosaic boxes that are “the complete xxxxxxx” and never listen to them. Some have like 4 takes of the same song on on side haha

Back