The Blue Note Thread

Was referring to pressing quality from URP, not the music itself
Oh yea I know. I wouldn’t spend it but was tempted a few times to pick up the Ambrose for $100 because of how much I love that record. Don’t know who’s out here dropping $300 on a BN75 though. Just glad someone else reissued it since BN seems to have no plans to reissue those albums sadly

Came across these comments on discogs regarding the Tone Poet series. Unsatisfied Customer.

View attachment 193513
These guys are right. Tone Poets are overpriced garbage. Who has the money nowadays to possibly pay $20 - $40 for these records? The originals are so much more affordable and readily available.

And Blue Note, what's the deal with the photographs on the jacket? They arent even in color!! Another shortcut

“Tin-eared goblin” lolol

Make him EARN your purchase.
I like the response from the 2nd guy. Has he not bought new vinyl in the last 5 years? While higher than standard presses, I find the TP releases to be in the mid range for their quality. But chances are neither has been out of their basement since the Plan-demic started.

These types of people are insufferable. They have such unrealistic standards it a wonder that they ever experience pleasure.
I agree, but there is a grain of truth amidst the vitriol.

KPG does tend to smooth things out, knowing that the 'audiophile' audience seeks that.

The Music Matters 33 series struck a balance in that respect - they had the edge, but also the tone. The earlier MM 33 series was overly smoothed out, particularly where Hoffman was involved.

In his (it's a dude, undoubtedly) clear attention grab of a review, there are a couple of worthy points, in that the tapes do continue to degrade, and one of the sonic characteristics of that can be pitch variance. I've noticed it on a few, but I still prefer Kevin's masters to the mid 00's Van Gelders!

And I mean, of course you'd buy on a title by title basis.... wouldn't you do that for anything?? Haha

Thought this might interest some of you.

Part of Joe Harley's Music Matters collection sold for $10K.

Incredibly some people in the comments tried making out like he didn't deserve the money as he got the records for free. Harley came in and replied, not that he had to. Essentially he didn't accept any money during his time at MM and all he asked for was a number of sets of each release. He was purposely holding on to these to sell at a later date, which he is now doing.

Another set of his sold late last year for $13,100. Crazy how much these are going for!!

IMG_8114.jpg

Thought this might interest some of you.

Part of Joe Harley's Music Matters collection sold for $10K.

Incredibly some people in the comments tried making out like he didn't deserve the money as he got the records for free. Harley came in and replied, not that he had to. Essentially he didn't accept any money during his time at MM and all he asked for was a number of sets of each release. He was purposely holding on to these to sell at a later date, which he is now doing.

Another set of his sold late last year for $13,100. Crazy how much these are going for!!

View attachment 194326
On the whole, not a bad price per title on this considering what some of them go for. After eBay fees and consignment fees Harley probably walks away with less than he thought he would

On the whole, not a bad price per title on this considering what some of them go for. After eBay fees and consignment fees Harley probably walks away with less than he thought he would
This is just 1 of a few lots from what I understand. Seems like his plan all along was to hold off and sell when the market was high, which totally makes sense.

This is just 1 of a few lots from what I understand. Seems like his plan all along was to hold off and sell when the market was high, which totally makes sense.
Right. They have also broken out and sold lots of single titles from the other sets. Initially they wanted to sell them all as full sets but the demand wasn’t there. They had a few eBay auctions where it didn’t meet the reserve price, which I assume is very close to 10k.

Back