The Blue Note Thread

So I got a couple G+ OG Horace Silver records hoping that they might look dinged up, but could clean well.

Cleaned them up, put them on... crackalackin', unfortunately. Oh well. Both were under $20 so I'll probably use one as wall art or something and maybe sell the other, I don't know.

I think for a G/VG- looking record to still sound okay, it has to be an early Plastilyte when they were like 200 grams. I think both mine are mid60s and aren't super heavy. I'd probably take a risk on a VG but probably not for something rated G or whatever.

Anyway, got a nice long line of Blue Notes to clean tomorrow........... fun
I got a OG pressing of Cornbread on ebay the other week for $5 without condition listed just as a gamble...then I got a shipping notice and then I got a full refund so not entirely sure if I will get it or not hah.

Awesome one! Glad you got it. I might make some offers on others she has, but waiting to see how the first one arrives. Mine should be here soon. I got Joe Henderson In 'N Out. Been looking for the Hendersons on MM for awhile and most are either expensive or sold out. Next cheapest is $90 right now on discogs.
In ‘N Out is fantastic. Such a great album and the MM is great. You’ll be very happy with that. Those must have went up in price recently too. I got that one and Our Thing brand new from Elusive Disc for $50 each (free shipping) earlier this year. I also got Inner Urge for $45 used around the same time too. I won’t pay $100 for Mode For Joe though, that’s a little insane. I have a Liberty (non RVG) of that one that’s fine and a mid 90’s RTI press of Page One that sounds great.

Awesome one! Glad you got it. I might make some offers on others she has, but waiting to see how the first one arrives. Mine should be here soon. I got Joe Henderson In 'N Out. Been looking for the Hendersons on MM for awhile and most are either expensive or sold out. Next cheapest is $90 right now on discogs.
Just a reminder that In 'N Out will be reissued in October as part of the BN80 series (likely around $25).

There also were a few rumored Tone Poet titles for 2020 via the Steve Hoffman forum that mentioned State of the Tenor Vol. 1.

I got a OG pressing of Cornbread on ebay the other week for $5 without condition listed just as a gamble...then I got a shipping notice and then I got a full refund so not entirely sure if I will get it or not hah.

oh man I really like the TP copy I have, hope it shows up. Seller probably realized what he had.

Just a reminder that In 'N Out will be reissued in October as part of the BN80 series (likely around $25).

There also were a few rumored Tone Poet titles for 2020 via the Steve Hoffman forum that mentioned State of the Tenor Vol. 1.
Thanks! The BN80 series, while nice, isn't as good as the MM and In 'N Out is one of my favorite Henderson records so I wanted to pull the trigger on the 45RPM one. I have remembered to look at the list that you so awesomely made to cross-check other albums though. It's a very handy spreadsheet so thanks again for it!

oh man I really like the TP copy I have, hope it shows up. Seller probably realized what he had.
I pre-ordered the TP copy and forgot the ship date, so was hoping to get the OG copy first so I could always cancel if it was in good shape, but then my TP copy ended up shipping anyway. Not the end of the world as the TP sounds great but would have been cool to get an OG copy for that cheap! If I don't receive the album in a day or two, I'll message them to see what's going on.

Thanks! The BN80 series, while nice, isn't as good as the MM and In 'N Out is one of my favorite Henderson records so I wanted to pull the trigger on the 45RPM one. I have remembered to look at the list that you so awesomely made to cross-check other albums though. It's a very handy spreadsheet so thanks again for it!
Just checked the line up for In ‘N Out...
holy shit!
This is my next listen.

Like Mike said, not a lot of fat on Henderson's discography . His debut Page One is a stunner and his 70's Milestone albums are great for the most part too .
Diggin’ it thus far.
And besides the Tone Poet and a few other albums, including The Elements - Alice Coltrane, I don’t know a lot of Henderson. Maybe he’ll be my next jazz study. 🤔

Like Mike said, not a lot of fat on Henderson's discography . His debut Page One is a stunner and his 70's Milestone albums are great for the most part too .
Page One is one of the few I’m somewhat familiar with. And I agree, it is a stunner.

Also, thanks to you both for this little push towards more Henderson. “Punjab” is hitting the spot right now. 👌

He plays on a Lot of other great albums too, Basra by Pete LaRoca who drums on Page One , Black Fire -Andrew Hill which is an upcoming TP and not to be missed,Larry Young's Unity again, a fuckin' classic , McCoy Tyner-The Real McCoy, Freddie Hubbard-Straight Life, you get the idea , Enjoy the journey !
Page One is one of the few I’m somewhat familiar with. And I agree, it is a stunner.

Also, thanks to you both for this little push towards more Henderson. “Punjab” is hitting the spot right now. 👌

He plays on a Lot of other great albums too, Basra by Pete LaRoca who drums on Page One , Black Fire -Andrew Hill which is an upcoming TP and not to be missed,Larry Young's Unity again, a fuckin' classic , McCoy Tyner-The Real McCoy, Freddie Hubbard-Straight Life, you get the idea , Enjoy the journey !
He’s all over some of my favorite records most of which you have mentioned here. Glad you’re digging into him now @Dark Star Boogie ! Happy to send more recs with Henderson involved if you need any.

I have been eyeing the MM version for a while, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Love the cover
I was eyeing the MM version too but then found this Liberty press for $20 shipped on ebay and it's in surprisingly good shape. Cleaned it with my VPI and it has a few pops here and there but overall a nice one.

If you're looking at the MM, check out this seller on discogs:

Make an offer for $40 and chance is she might accept. I ordered one through her the other day and she accepted my offers of $10 less.

I was eyeing the MM version too but then found this Liberty press for $20 shipped on ebay and it's in surprisingly good shape. Cleaned it with my VPI and it has a few pops here and there but overall a nice one.

If you're looking at the MM, check out this seller on discogs:

Make an offer for $40 and chance is she might accept. I ordered one through her the other day and she accepted my offers of $10 less.

I'm located in Europe, so after shipping it's not really worth it. Only way to kind of make shipping reasonable is to place a bigger order through the musicmatters website itself. But I can't justify a big order like that atm.

So I just spun the new Freddie Hubbard - Open Sesame reissue this morning, which is my first BN80, and this are my thoughts:

The pressing is great. My copy was completely flat and had little to none surface noise. This is definitely an upgrade from the BN75 pressings (I only owned one of those, but distortion and noise was unbearable, so had to return it and stayed away from BN75 since). The standard jacket is of course a downgrade from Tone Poets, since this direct to board printed, and has no gatefold, but this is a compromise I'm willing to make in order to have affordable pressings of great records. The mastering is good, but I find the piano to be a bit too quiet at times, which is a shame, since Tyner is one of the main reasons I purchased this record. The soundstage isn't as full and vivid as in the Tone Poets I own, but I wouldn't say this is in an entirely different tier. You can tell the lacquering was done with the same love and attention as TP, it seems to be the pressing or plating that makes the small sound difference between both series.

Overall I'm very pleased, and I'm sure I'll be picking up a bunch of the upcoming titles now that I know they will all sound great.

Back